Lunch at Lambert's - KCGI

lprellwitz

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
iBug
Muncie doesn't look too good for Saturday, so Grant and I are planning on Cape Girardeau, MO instead. Heard good things about the FBO, and we should be able to get a ride to Lambert's, home of the 'throwed rolls'. Thinking of landing somewhere between 11:30 and noon, if anyone would like to join us for an interesting lunch...

Leslie

Muncie doesn't look too good for Saturday, so Grant and I are planning on Cape Girardeau, MO instead. Heard good things about the FBO, and we should be able to get a ride to Lambert's, home of the 'throwed rolls'. Thinking of landing somewhere between 11:30 and noon, if anyone would like to join us for an interesting lunch...

Leslie

You want SIK for Lamberts. They'll come get you and bring you in through the VIP entrance.

Thanks Mike. I know she mentioned Sikeston to me, but we've also been told that Cape Girardeau is a nice airport. We'll definitely be flying to Sikeston for lunch, and to claim it for the Challenge. Since CGI is available too, whomever doesn't fly to the first might fly to the second!

Wish I could join y'all Leslie but we'll be flying down to NOLA for a cruise.
As Mike said, fly into SIK and call the FBO about 10 miles out and inform them you will be going to Lamberts. The shuttle will be waiting for you by the time you land and park.
Be sure to watch your weight and balance on the return!

Wish I could join y'all Leslie but we'll be flying down to NOLA for a cruise.
As Mike said, fly into SIK and call the FBO about 10 miles out and inform them you will be going to Lamberts. The shuttle will be waiting for you by the time you land and park.
Be sure to watch your weight and balance on the return!
Well, I think that a cruise SHOULD win over lunch at Lambert's! Have a great time!

Awww... Man! I love Lamberts! Eat enough fried okra for me!! :D As already mentioned, you'll have to watch your W&B on departure, but it's all worth it! Heck, you'll probably be trying to decide who HAS to fly back so the other one can sleep! ha!

Have fun!

CGI is indeed a great airport. The folks at Cape Aviation are awesome. I stayed there for several days during the last two Christmas' and was treated quite well. Their fuel isn't cheap but they don't charge ramp fees or other ridiculous expenses. They take care of Rush Limbaugh's G-IV on a regular basis. Both times I was there, my dinky 2005 Skyhawk rental was parked next to his $40 million Gulfstream. I barely missed meeting him by less than two minutes but you might get lucky!

Now, considering I grew up just north of there and I had relatives around Cape and Sikeston all my life, I had never gone to Lambert's. That's pretty sad! So, make sure you catch a few for me! :)

Ah, Lamberts. Fond memories. I used to go there on the way to StL Cardinals games in the summer, up from Tennessee, when they were still in the old location...you were seated elbow to elbow with strangers on Friday nights nights and occasionally rolls glanced off your head.

Went to the new location a little while ago and it just wasn't the same. Well, the food was, guess that was the important part :yes:

Highly recommended for those going to/from Gastons (unlike me :()

I have been to Lambert's many times. It is a great place to stop! As mentioned above, go to SIK. They will pick you up, and take you through the back door to the front of the line.

Another place we like to stop in that part of the world is M34. Call Patti's 1880 Settlement. They will pick you up in the van and take you for a great meal. It is more expensive than Lambert's but well worth the price!

We will be up that way in early June. I don't know which one we'll go to. Choices.......

Just settling back in from lunch at Lambert's. I deliberately had a light breakfast, and was all the better for it. The people were courteous, and the food was fantastic; comfort food heaven. Began the fest with some sweet tea, okra that somehow wouldn't stop appearing at our table :) , and gee whiz - those rolls were hot!

After lunch, we were so full, it was nearly impossible to think about dessert - I was figuring out how we'd have to rework the weight & balance on the way home. I was ready to resist anything except peach cobbler, until she mentioned blackberry cobbler..... dang. I didn't think she'd bring out the big guns...

So, we flew 7111W home with both peach and blackberry cobbler in the back, and some wet wings for me. Yes, at long last - I finally got to file & fly with my IR - yaaaayyy!!! Took off from 1C5, clouds at about 2,000, hop up through to 6,000, beautiful cloud vistas and smooth air all the way down. We were over most clouds, but ended up going through some too; descend and a pretty decent GPS landing to 20 at SIK, if I do say so myself....

Grant flew back and did a very nice job bringing things in with a 16 kt direct crosswind on runway 36 at home!

So, all in all a good day. Now, time to sit back, and toast our approaches with Grant's famous margaritas...

Leslie

Just settling back in from lunch at Lambert's. I deliberately had a light breakfast, and was all the better for it. The people were courteous, and the food was fantastic; comfort food heaven. Began the fest with some sweet tea, okra that somehow wouldn't stop appearing at our table :) , and gee whiz - those rolls were hot!

So, all in all a good day. Now, time to sit back, and toast our approaches with Grant's famous margaritas...

Wow. Leslie! That's a long way to go for lunch. I considered it once. Too far.

We DID stop there the first time I flew to Flippen, AR. For last year's Gaston's I decided it was too much of a detour.

If that's an OK range, you need to try Richards Farm in Casey.
http://www.richardsfarm.com/
I flew there and ended up having to spend the night when the clouds rolled in.

Last edited:
Well, part of it was lunch, the other part was getting some flying time after not having had much opportunity to get out lately. Decided to turn it into a 'micro-vacation', head to someplace that was relatively warm.

Felt good to get up in the air and go again.

Lambert's is a 170nm x-country for me. I was there 2 or 3 days after Christmas but haven't been back since. SIK was the first real x-country trip I took my wife on after I bought my bird and she loved it. I think she was having second thoughts about my purchase, but that made all the difference in the world. Thanks Lambert's:goofy: . The first time we were there, there is no telling how many people were waiting outside. Slipped us in the side and treated us like royalty. That really impressed her. :yes:

Awww... Man! I love Lamberts! Eat enough fried okra for me!! :D As already mentioned, you'll have to watch your W&B on departure, but it's all worth it!

"If you leave here hungry, it ain't our fault!" :yes:

Back