Lunch at Gaston’s with Steve and his new airplane

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
What a nice day to fly to Gaston’s! Although, the winds were squirrelly, and shifted and burbled around the river valley (which may have had something to do with my less-than-stellar landing.) :eek:

Steve flew up to Gaston’s in his new airplane and was gracious enough to take me flying and let me fly the IAR-823 for a bit. It felt so right, flying with a stick. Come to find out, it’s aerobatic too! What a fascinating bird. Steve flies (and lands) it well. :yes:

Attachments

• Ready for start up.JPG
    Ready for start up.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Pitot tube.JPG
    Pitot tube.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Rollin.JPG
    Rollin.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 65
  • Steve and his new bird.JPG
    Steve and his new bird.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Panel.JPG
    Panel.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 83
  • It has a stick.JPG
    It has a stick.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Base for 24.JPG
    Base for 24.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 61
  • Short final.JPG
    Short final.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Low pass by UFO.JPG
    Low pass by UFO.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 61
Diana, what great pictures. I love the one with your citabria in the back ground. Steve is photogenic in that picture too.

HPNFlyGirl said:
I love the one with your citabria in the back ground. Steve is photogenic in that picture too.
I had to get a picture of the Citabria in there somehow. :D

Diana said:
I had to get a picture of the Citabria in there somehow. :D
Yeah, and you also had to apologize for your landing.:D :D

Nice pictures. Do my eyes deceive me or there really are dual engine levers? (left wall and center control console)

man, that is one cool looking plane! I can't wait to see it!

Richard said:

Nice pictures. Do my eyes deceive me or there really are dual engine levers? (left wall and center control console)

I think your eyes are fine. I am surprised to see what appears to be two landing gear selectors (and I wonder why the "wheel" on each switch is rotated 45 degrees). I'm also having trouble recognizing a few of the instruments such as the one located at lower center on the left side and the center and right instruments above the radios. What are they?

The panel is a bit unusual compared what you expect in a 4-place single in the US.

The IAR has dual primary instruments, the left side is electric and the right side is vacuum driven.

There are dual propeller and throttle handles, but only a single mixture control. I tend to be ambidextrous using them depending on what phase of flight I'm in.

When I first saw the orientation of the gear handles I thought it was poor attention to detail, but after operating it awhile I don't even notice it. The gear handles have 3 positions, up, neutral, and down, with detents for each. You pull the white collar to switch positions so you have your hand on the collar, not the "wheel" when operating the gear, so one would have to be very inattentive to confuse it with the flap switch despite their close proximity. The operating manual tells you to put the gear switch in neutral after raising or lowering the gear, but I'm not trusting enough to do that. The right side gear switch will override the left side switch, (i've tested it in the air) so it has to be in the neutral position normally. The gear is electromechanical with no up locks. Its driven by a flexible shaft and angle drive arrangement which reminds me of someone who went wild with a Dremel motor tool kit. The plane has a rather low gear operating speed of 180kph (~100 kts) which took some getting used to.

There's also dual flap switches.

The instrument on the lower left center is the original chronometer that came from the factory. The lettering is Cyrillic, but its rather conventional otherwise. It's like a 8-day clock, but it only runs a few hours (I haven't checked the actual run time). The left knob is the wind up, which turns in reverse of what you'd expect, pulls out to set the hour/minute hands, and pushes in to reset the top inner dial, a smaller clock face for hours and minutes elapsed. The right knob is the "on/off" for the clock and you push it to start/stop/reset the lower inner dial which is a 60 minute timer with sweep second hand. Good for timing tanks, but a little small to time an approach imho. Pretty cool for a clock.

The top center instrument on the left side is the original AI which for some reason the Eastern bloc countries paint red on the top half and blue on the bottom half of indicator. It also has a turn and bank/slip/skid indicator built in. The electric gyro sounds like a APU starting.

The 3x4 "warning lamps block" in the upper left corner indicates various conditions, such as Stall Speed, Door Unlock, Fuel Pump, Engine Fire, Check Gear, etc. There's also an audible stall buzzer. The fire bottle has been removed.

The small instruments at the top center are the engine analyzer, electric tachometer with "hundreds" and "thousands" pointers, and the manifold pressure gage which has been changed out to read in inches Hg rather than the original mm Hg. It took a little getting used to reading the small dials but now it seems second nature. I'm considering a portable optical tach to set on the glareshield as the installed tach indicates about 50 rpm low when checked during prop balance. I could just placard it, but we only took a couple of data points.

The Flight Manual is rather interesting, including a diagram for performing the engine run-up, sort of a time line vs rpm for heat up, prop cycle, and mag check. There's also a checklist in the Emergency Procedures section titled "Rescue by Parachute". :)

lancefisher said:
I think your eyes are fine. I am surprised to see what appears to be two landing gear selectors (and I wonder why the "wheel" on each switch is rotated 45 degrees). I'm also having trouble recognizing a few of the instruments such as the one located at lower center on the left side and the center and right instruments above the radios. What are they?

Last edited:
There's some info at www.iar823.com. The guy that runs the website was one of the partners that imported several of them back in 2000. He has a couple for sale and has been very helpful with my questions.

There is an airshow pilot/announcer in California, Steve Stavarakakis, that flies one in his routine. He's also a good source for info, having done a few mods on his.

Joe Williams said:
What is an "IAR-823?" Looks neat.

Steve said:
There's some info at www.iar823.com. The guy that runs the website was one of the partners that imported several of them back in 2000. He has a couple for sale and has been very helpful with my questions.

There is an airshow pilot/announcer in California, Steve Stavarakakis, that flies one in his routine. He's also a good source for info, having done a few mods on his.

Cool, thanks. Another plane to study up on :)

For the price I couldn't find a better deal.

It is operated in the experimental/exhibition category, which may not appeal to some with its limitations, but I have no problem with them, other than wondering what the logic is behind some of them.

Joe Williams said:
Cool, thanks. Another plane to study up on :)

Richard said:
LOL! I wish I could remember Steve's comment on the radio about my landing as I was taxiing in. I was hoping he couldn't see the landing from that far away. No such luck. ;)

Diana said:
LOL! I wish I could remember Steve's comment on the radio about my landing as I was taxiing in. I was hoping he couldn't see the landing from that far away. No such luck. ;)
Are you saying he stayed on the ground while you took his bird up?

All I said was I like a pilot that likes to add a little flourish just before touching down, especially taildragger pilots. B)

Should I repeat the comment regarding Chip here? :frog:

Diana said:

Richard said:
Are you saying he stayed on the ground while you took his bird up?
Steve was watching near his parked airplane as I landed the Citabria. I think his wife, Mary, needs to be the "first lady" of that airplane. :yes:

Steve said:
All I said was I like a pilot that likes to add a little flourish just before touching down, especially taildragger pilots. B)
Now, THAT was diplomatic. :yes:

Steve said:
Should I repeat the comment regarding Chip here? :frog:
:hairraise: :no:

Back