Luck or skill or both

DaytonaLynn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
One who misses Daytona!
Friday I flew from IWS to EDC. Departed about 9 am local and all was great, nice 50 minute flight.
Left EDC at 2:15 local. Got a Pirep that convection was building around Houston.
My friend sends me a text as I taxi and says be prepared to divert. No problem

We lift off an fly toward IWS. About 40 miles out I hear the ctaf and its 1.5 and light rain. At 25 miles out I hear 2 miles and mist. At 15 it's back to 1 mile and rain.
I divert to TME. Winds are picking up and it's a direct crosswind at 12knots. I'm landing 18. As I turn base I get a call from a guy doing an rnav approach, so I say ill extend downwind for him. Getting a little blustery.

Get on final and just as I get over the numbers and touch down I get a gust that pulls the the left wing up and I'm on one wheel.

I go to full throttle lift off and get the plane flying, flaps up and pick up speed . Climb and come back around. This time I do of use flaps, and all went well.

Scared the bejesus out of me, but glad I knew what to do and reacted and not have to think about it.

The wing and wheel might have come down,or could have gotten much worse.

Would anyone do anything different?
182Q is what is flying

:rollercoaster:.

On my go-around I would check weather at the original destination again. :)

You did what you felt was right at the time, and it worked out quite well. To me it sounds like you took the safe way out and did the right thing. Quick thinking and decisive action. Good learning experience.

Worked. But given the slow acceleration of little airplanes adding energy to get a little bit more control authority at the risk of making a runway departure at a higher speed doesn't seem like a good bet.

What you did was a wise and prudent decision -- nobody got hurt, no metal got bent, and that's all that matters. What I or anyone else would or might have done is totally irrelevant. The folks who get hurt are he ones who start thinking that someone else might think them "weak" or "overly cautious" and so they do something dumb instead of what their gut was telling them to do.

What you did was a wise and prudent decision -- nobody got hurt, no metal got bent, and that's all that matters. What I or anyone else would or might have done is totally irrelevant. The folks who get hurt are he ones who start thinking that someone else might think them "weak" or "overly cautious" and so they do something dumb instead of what their gut was telling them to do.

Rationalizing any action that works once?

Rationalizing any action that works once?
Yeah, that's another pitfall. One is supposed to use the ex post facto review of the result of good luck to create good judgment the next time, not justifying the repetition of a bad decision.

Thanks everyone.
At less than 200 hours I just was checking any other options.
At first I thought it was a lotta luck and a little skill. But after all your posts, may have to rethink that.m :rofl:

Thanks everyone.
At less than 200 hours I just was checking any other options.
At first I thought it was a lotta luck and a little skill. But after all your posts, may have to rethink that.m :rofl:
Luck is often what you make of your skill!

We get a lot of wind in Florida. On an early solo flight I went out with 080 @ 28 although taking off on runway 9 was doable in my 150.

But Texas sure is known for a lot of wind. I am glad that you were able to bring your plane in safely.

I remember wanting to fly in Atlanta and having the instructor say that he didn't want to fly because of the wind. He said that all we could do were controlled crashes. In Texas and Florida if you don't fly when there is wind you will lose a lot of flight time.

I pushed back my CLL flight until about 7 local because those cells were popping up everywhere Friday. TME gave me the "hand of god full opposite aileron gust" over the 18 short final powerlines one time, scared the crap out of me. Was the wind coming from the direction of the FBO?

The runway is wide and forgiving, but I would like to think I would have done the same thing as you. No reason to force it. Now we can start the low wing/high wing handling in ground effect debate. Glad you made it down safe.

Back