Luck->Experience Transfer

Mike Smith

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fresh Prince of PrattVegas
I made a transfer today. Haven't been able to fly much lately, but today had a chance to go. I know that being low time still, I need to try to stay sharp on my landings so I alloted today's flight to practice that. The long and short of it is, I took off with flaps 40 in the PA28-151. To compound the problem, it didn't feel right at Vr but I horsed it off, the plane immediately turned left and headed for a round hay bale. I realized what I had done as soon as I did it and kept my cool and started milking them up. It worked out and wouldn't really call it close, but it was close enough. Dumbarse, use your checklist. Every. D@mn. Time. Let the flogging begin.

Another learning experience ,that fortunately turned out well. Doubt that you'll do that again.

Did you take the runway with 40, or was it a T&G where you forgot to retract?

Well, I had an incredibly long landing, so I didn't want to T&G. I had taxied back. If I had T&G I wouldn't have done it, that was driven into my head, first thing you do is raise flaps. I got out of sync and didn't do the after landing flow,that starts with the flaps. So to answer your question it was kinda both.

Well, I had an incredibly long landing, so I didn't want to T&G. I had taxied back. If I had T&G I wouldn't have done it, that was driven into my head, first thing you do is raise flaps. I got out of sync and didn't do the after landing flow,that starts with the flaps. So to answer your question it was kinda both.

Yep, slight deviations from routine can bite.

Glad you recovered well, Mike. We've all made mistakes and learned from them.

Sometimes when things feel wrong, they really are wrong. Sure, you missed the After Landing checklist, but you quickly diagnosed and fixed the problem when it appeared. One transfer into the experience basket, one hash mark in the knowledge basket.

Good job!

Glad you recovered well, Mike. We've all made mistakes and learned from them.

Sometimes when things feel wrong, they really are wrong. Sure, you missed the After Landing checklist, but you quickly diagnosed and fixed the problem when it appeared. One transfer into the experience basket, one hash mark in the knowledge basket.

Good job!

Thanks Hank! I need to fly more. Wish I knew someone with a Mooney I could fly with:rolleyes:

I have never totally made that mistake before.
Nope. Never. Not once. Not at KGLE around 9:30PM earlier this year.
Never happened to me. :)

Well now you know how the plane feels attempting to take off with 40 degrees of flaps. The same situation exists in a last moment go around, so being able to recover is a good skill to have and practice.

Thanks Hank! I need to fly more. Wish I knew someone with a Mooney I could fly with:rolleyes:

You're in luck! Swing by, I'll introduce you to the guy two hangars down, he's not in the middle of buying a house. :D

Seriously, are your boys old & hungry enough to help carry boxes and furniture next month? Exact date TBD yet, we're working through some issues from the inspection.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back