Lt. J. T. Gardner, Jr. Plane #97

wabower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Wayne
While sorting the files of my late uncle who died in June, my cousin found some correspondence regarding this website. I don't know if her dad ever owned a computer or knew about this footage of him taking off the carrier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVXVEZdfdy8

He always thought he might have developed a maneuver that allowed a Mustang to shake a ME-109 off of its tail.

Since it worked, he shared it with the pilots in his squadron and heard that others were using it as well but never knew for sure. He was also quick to say that he didn't do it the first time as a carefully planned and calculated escape, he was just trying to avoid being shot down.

That is very cool. I bet your uncle had some great stories.

He always thought he might have developed a maneuver that allowed a Mustang to shake a ME-109 off of its tail.

Since it worked, he shared it with the pilots in his squadron and heard that others were using it as well but never knew for sure. He was also quick to say that he didn't do it the first time as a carefully planned and calculated escape, he was just trying to avoid being shot down.

Did he describe the manuver to you?

Sorta kinda, but I was never sure what he described. It started with a vertical pull followed by a power reduction and then something that sounded like a stall and something else that caused the 109 to overshoot. At the time I couldn't ask more questions due to the family events in progress, so just nodded.
Did he describe the manuver to you?

Back