LSA Requirement/Restriction Question

M

Mikey94

Hello all!

Apologies if this is a previously answered question, I am new to the forum/site (and honestly, aviation as a whole).

Essentially, I am newly interested in the MOSAIC rules regarding LSAs, but I know that I cannot pass a 3rd, 2nd, or 1st medical due to my left eye (20/150 corrected, right eye is 20/12 uncorrected). Regarding LSAs, I understand that you must follow all restrictions on your driver's license. My only restriction states "Outside Rearview Mirror: An outside rearview mirror must be affixed to the left side of any vehicle driven by a driver with this restriction."

Does this mean I would need to have a mirror attached to the outside of my LSA? I am extremely new to the idea of LSAs/flying, and it is a lot of information to follow, especially with a special case such as mine. Any information that anyone could provide would be wonderful.

Thank you all!

Regardless of the technicalities - is your eyesight such that you think you won't be able to operate the aircraft in a safe manner?

A medical isn't out of the question; there is a procedure to get a "statement of demonstrated ability" to waive some medical requirements. There have been one eyed pilots, including record setting aviator Wiley Post. It's probably much easier for a class 3 than a class 1 or 2.

Regarding LSA, I can't imaging anybody thinking you need an outside mirror.

Regardless of the technicalities - is your eyesight such that you think you won't be able to operate the aircraft in a safe manner?
Absolutely not. I was born with the vision I listed, and in over ten years of driving multiple types of vehicles (I'm 29-years old), I have never been in any auto collisions, nor received any tickets of any kind. In any vehicles or machinery I operate, I follow the rules exactly as written. :)

A medical isn't out of the question; there is a procedure to get a "statement of demonstrated ability" to waive some medical requirements. There have been one eyed pilots, including record setting aviator Wiley Post. It's probably much easier for a class 3 than a class 1 or 2.

Regarding LSA, I can't imaging anybody thinking you need an outside mirror.
I will start looking into the "statement of demonstrated ability", for sure. How would I be able to get a definitive word on this?

In short, I will be waiting for the new MOSAIC rules to (hopefully!) be implemented within the next ~18 months, then start with my Sport Pilot license, should everything go swimmingly.

Aircraft are not driven, they are flown ...

As mentioned earlier you can always get a S.O.D.A. certificate but none is needed for Light Sport as you are using your driver's license in lieu of a medical.

Get yourself a good instructor and take a SODA ride for your Private.

And I mean, get an instructor with 2000+ hours or teaching because landings are going to be tougher, but a seasoned instructor will likely help you better than a rookie trying to get to the airlines.

It’s been a decade or more, but I had a client that lost an eye in a golfing accident and he passed the SODA ride with no issues.

I will start looking into the "statement of demonstrated ability", for sure. How would I be able to get a definitive word on this?
The regulation is 14 CFR 67.401. Basically a practical test showing you can. This is a basic description from the FAA medical people. For a far more detailed description, this is the FAA Order to its personnel on conducting the test.

The biggest concern here is depth perception but chances are that won’t be a problem for someone who has gotten used to it. There are probably a good number of GA pilots with SODAs for situations like yours. One of my friends whom I first met years ago when giving him a complex and high performance endorsement has one eye.

The regulation is 14 CFR 67.401. Basically a practical test showing you can. This is a basic description from the FAA medical people. For a far more detailed description, this is the FAA Order to its personnel on conducting the test.

The biggest concern here is depth perception but chances are that won’t be a problem for someone who has gotten used to it. There are probably a good number of GA pilots with SODAs for situations like yours. One of my friends whom I first met years ago when giving him a complex and high performance endorsement has one eye.
First off, thank you for all of the information! Regarding the depth perception, since I was born with my left eye this way, I have grown fully accustomed. Also, I understand that a SODA can be dependent on if the medical issue in-question is degenerative, which luckily my left eye has been 20/150 corrected since I was a young child with absolutely no change. From what I have read so far, it seems that is a good thing.

Regarding the depth perception, since I was born with my left eye this way, I have grown fully accustomed.
I figured that was probably the case. Practically speaking, the biggest concern is the person who was binocular and lost vision in one eye. There is going to be an adjustment. Chances are you'd pass with ... um ... flying colors.

But you'd know pretty much in advance if you start lessons. Since monocular vision mostly about landing, you and your CFI would know before you solo. If you solo light sport, that's the end of the story. If you solo private, you'd need a 3d Class but you and your CFI would still have a very good idea whether you would pass a SODA test.

One more reference for you. This is from the FAA's Guide for Medical Examiners.

Back