LSA expo

frfly172

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
ron keating
Arrived at the expo just after the accident. Show seems to be gaining more exhibitors. Have been to them all since inception. Seem to be coming back ,albeit at a slow pace. There is a place for light sports,was not impressed with the aopa refurbished 152. Getting ready for sun n fun.

For the last ten years, or so, it seemed like the LSA manufacturers wanted to appeal to only one demographic:

That being Old guys who thought their medical might get pulled, and still wanted to fly.

When the main group of manufacturers give that up and start focusing solely on middle aged guys who have great incomes, and buy expensive cars, boats and motor cycles, for instance, then I think the industry will really start to take off, but not until then.

This was my first Expo so I can't make any comparison to previous events. However I thought the "enthusiasm" was good even though it was damped by the poor weather. I guess its hard to have a VFR Show in IFR conditions. This link points to my notes: http://lsaeronaut.blogspot.com/

For the last ten years, or so, it seemed like the LSA manufacturers wanted to appeal to only one demographic:

That being Old guys who thought their medical might get pulled, and still wanted to fly.

When the main group of manufacturers give that up and start focusing solely on middle aged guys who have great incomes, and buy expensive cars, boats and motor cycles, for instance, then I think the industry will really start to take off, but not until then.

Those are the guys that buy Cirrus, Mooney and Beechcraft !

It was interesting that,aopa had the reman. 152. Also premier aircraft sales had a diesel 172 for display and sale.

It was interesting that,aopa had the reman. 152. Also premier aircraft sales had a diesel 172 for display and sale.

There was an email from AOPA just before the event that rather than being the Light Sport Aircraft show it was being repurposed as the affordable aircraft show. Whether or not they'll actually change the name next year and become AAS I have no idea.

John

There was a used plane for sale lot,at the show. Good idea. Always thought the actual aircraft on the sight was better than pictures on a bulletin board.

It's kinda dumb and possibly nauseating, but here's a little 5 minute video I threw together walking around the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUw3maXcTx0

Enjoyed the show and hooked up with some online friends.

Major down note was I got to witness what I think was the first fatal accident I've ever seen in person. Someone shouted out and I looked up to see the seaplane in a slowly rotating downward path to the ground. It was maybe 200' when I saw it first. The actual ground impact was blocked by a truck, which I think is just as well.

Back