LSA, Experimental, Certificated

X3 Skier

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Geezer
Since there’s always opportunities in this group to have “discussions” about quirks, contradictions, misunderstandings etc, in the FAR and aviation in general, here’s one that always throws me off for a moment when I see it.

Taking Aircraft Spruce as a case in point, numerous avionics thingy’s for sale there say for “Experimental and LSA use only”. Since a Cub, Champ and other certificated aircraft are classed as LSA’s, one would logically assume said thingy’s like ASI’s, radios, etc. could be installed and used in those airplanes but it would be wrong/illegal. OTOH, LSA’s that are certified under ASTM Standards could legally use those devices. Experimental can use anything they want that they can get past th the DAR.

I’m certain there will be other views from the POA Community but that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Cheers

Last edited:
Cubs, Champs, Ercoupes, etc. are not LSA. They are type certificated aircraft that meet the specifications that allow them to be flown under Sport Pilot privileges. There's a difference.

Installing something in an SLSA would require approval from the manufacturer. Installing something in an Experimental or ELSA is at the owner's discretion. And if you don't like the restrictions you have on your SLSA, you can convert it to ELSA and do what you like.

Are we having fun yet?

Cubs, Champs, Ercoupes, etc. are not LSA.

Yes, they are. See the definition in 14 CFR 1.1. They are not SLSAs, however.

LSA is a broad category that includes certificated planes that meet category criteria, SLSAs, and ELSAs.

Yes, they are. See the definition in 14 CFR 1.1. They are not SLSAs, however.

LSA is a broad category that includes certificated planes that meet category criteria, SLSAs, and ELSAs.
I stand corrected. That said, they're not certificated as either ELSA or SLSA. As for the OP's post... obviously you can't take statements in the Aircraft Spruce catalog or web site as definitive legal or regulatory answers. There's a big difference even between SLSA and ELSA when it comes to making changes, let alone TC airplanes.

numerous avionics thingy’s for sale there say for “Experimental and LSA use only”.
Technically there is no class of "experimental" or LSA parts. Never has been. However vendors that produce/ market/sell parts for aircraft must ensure parts intended for type certificated aircraft are properly identified. So venders use product codes and term like "experimental" to prevent violation of Part 3 and other FARs. For example, a mechanic can install an "experimental" part on a TC aircraft legally. You have to look at part production and part installation separately as they fall under different FARs.
Since a Cub, Champ and other certificated aircraft are classed as LSA’s,
Same with this point. The LSA classification is separate from the aircraft production approval and it is the production approval type that predicates how the aircraft is maintained and altered and by who.

Last edited:
Back