LSA endorsements for PP - which reg?

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
This is a curiosity question more than anything. Having trouble finding a regulation related to LSAs.

I think it's generally understood that a private pilot exercising the privileges of LSA does not require an additional endorsement to fly into Class B/C/D airspace. But does it actually say that anywhere in a legal sense or are we all using common sense to agree that private pilots already know the process? I've looked through several sources, but I can't find anything other than what's said by some guy on the internet.

I think you may be working too hard to find a problem :)

The answer is in two places. Ultimately, a private pilot exercising the privileges of a sport pilot is still the "holder of a private pilot certificate" in 91.131(b).

The FAA also helped us out a bit when it explained in the 200 sport pilot Final Rule:

==============================
A private pilot, however, has more privileges than a sport pilot in airspace that transport category aircraft operate in. Specifically a private pilot is authorized to land at the major airports located in Class B airspace, as listed in 14 CFR part 91, appendix D, section 4, and a private pilot may operate in Class A, B, C, D, E, and G airspace without any additional training.

.... and a private pilot may operate in Class A, B, C, D, E, and G airspace without any additional training.

But I wouldn't try Class A airspace in an LSA.
You might spend the entire day and need a few drop tanks installed to get there

:D

But I wouldn't try Class A airspace in an LSA.
You might spend the entire day and need a few drop tanks installed to get there

:D

I heard a Skycatcher at FL190 a couple of months ago.

If you take off above 7,000' elevation and then catch wave lift you can find yourself in class A inadvertently in a very short time.

If you track your way though the limitations listings starting with the table that outlines the various certificate / medical options (61.303), you find which limitations apply and which are not part of the chain for any given individual.

Last edited:
Back