LSA 16 Hour Repairman Inspection Course

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
I just completed the 16 hour inspection course needed for the LSA owner to do their condition inspections. I can highly recommend Brian & Nancy McCallen if you need to take the course. They are licensed with Rainbow to do teach their course.

http://www.lightsportrepair.com/

Now I can do my own condition inspections on my RV-12.

Last edited:
I guess that's different from experimental home-built? I thought if you built it, you could inspect and repair it. (over-simplified).

Thanks for sharing.

I guess that's different from experimental home-built? I thought if you built it, you could inspect and repair it. (over-simplified).

Thanks for sharing.
from http://www.sportpilot.org/learn/lsa/likely_lsa.html

Experimental light-sport aircraft
Experimental light-sport aircraft (E-LSA) may be flown by sport pilots. E-LSA kits that do not conform to amateur-built certification requirements and will be certificated in the E-LSA category must be based on an aircraft that has received a special LSA (S-LSA) airworthiness certificate. E-LSA must be operated in accordance with the operating limitations issued to the aircraft at the time it receives its airworthiness certification. It must be maintained in accordance with regulations as they apply to E-LSA. Its annual condition inspection may be conducted by an LSA repairman with an inspection rating, an LSA repairman with a maintenance rating, an airframe and powerplant (A&P) mechanic, or a certified repair station.

Experimental amateur-built aircraft
Experimental amateur-built aircraft that meet the definition of an LSA may be flown by sport pilots. The aircraft is certificated as experimental amateur-built and must be operated in accordance with the operating limitations issued to the aircraft at the time it receives its airworthiness certification. It must be maintained and inspected in accordance with regulations as they pertain to amateur-built aircraft. Its annual condition inspection may be performed by the original primary builder if he/she holds the repairman certificate for the aircraft, an A&P mechanic, or a certified repair station.

Clear as mud?

The E-LSA doesn't have to meet the 51% rule.

more: http://www.sportpilot.org/maintenance/lsa_maintenance_requirements.html

Last edited:
Congratulations!! How was your experience with the school? I haven't heard any first hand feed back on them.

Congratulations!! How was your experience with the school? I haven't heard any first hand feed back on them.

Brain and Nancy make it a great learning experience. Good mix of learning techniques, visual aids, hands on, pass around used parts, etc., great hand outs & folders to take home, a real good experience for me. Covers 2 & 4 stroke Rotax engines, and doing condition inspections like a pro. Covers FAR's and what applies, etc. Brian makes the class interesting. I highly recommend them.

Thanks for sharing.

LSA is a different beast for sure, still experimental though. The class covers good info for conducting a thorough condition inspection even though I built the plane. It's nice to have been taught a "system" for inspecting an airplane, what FARs apply & why, etc. Time & money well spent IMHO, it is also manditory if you want to do the inspections.

You only have to take the class once then simply add (or delete) any LSA aircraft you own to your inspection certificate through the local FSDO. You can only inspect aircraft you own. Repairs can be done by anyone just like experimental, but now I can sign off the "annuals".

In the past two years I have issued several repairman LSA inspection certificates for people who attended Rainbow Aviation classes as well as the 120-hour mechanic course. They do have a very good program, its the only program in Northern California.

Thanks for sharing.

This allows you to buy an E-LSA from someone else yet still be able to get the repairman certificate (and perform the annual condition inspection) without having been the primary builder.

This allows you to buy an E-LSA from someone else yet still be able to get the repairman certificate (and perform the annual condition inspection) without having been the primary builder.

What about an S-LSA?

What about an S-LSA?

S-LSA requires the Light Sport Repairman Maintenance rating (120 hour course) for repair and required inspections. Of course and an A&P can do it also.

This is due to the fact that the S-LSA can be used as a rental / trainer needing 100 hour inspections. The 16 hour course I took will not allow me to do these, only planes that I own and are E-LSA. I'm pretty sure that is right anyway.

This is due to the fact that the S-LSA can be used as a rental / trainer needing 100 hour inspections. The 16 hour course I took will not allow me to do these, only planes that I own and are E-LSA. I'm pretty sure that is right anyway.

You are correct, sir!

Back