Lowrance 600 question

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I recently obtained a new Lowrance 600 for use as an additional GPS in my plane. I have not played with the programing of it so it is basically in stock set up. I was traveling last week down to Kentucky and then over to Tennessee and back home when I noticed the GPS would just turn off. I have it hooked up to external power and the status page shows it using that power source. After the first power down I changed out the batteries because I had heard for some weird reason that even when operating with external power the unit requires fresh batteries. But a few hours later it was turning off again.

I have the latest firmware according to the Lowrance site. Anyone else run into this and is there a fix?

I searched this site and others but could not find any answer to this problem.

I have had the same problem with the 500 model. Unfortunately, I have not found a cause, or any tricks that seem to help. It has been very random for me...some days it works fine, and others it shuts down every couple minutes.

Sorry I didn't have any fixes for you, but I'd be interested if someone else has found a cause.

I haven't had any problems with my 2000c. Have you called Lowrance about it?

Spoke with Lowrance today and it is a known problem with the CA-7 power adapter. They are shipping me a new one. There was also a fella on the red board who had the same problem and they sent him a new power cord. It solved the problem and he can now run the unit without batteries in it.

I had noticed from when I first bought this unit that it had to have batteries in it to run off of external power. If you also have observed that with your 600C you probably have the bad power adapter as well and should call for a replacement.

It did take 30 minutes of waiting on hold to get a tech but once I was through he knew immediately what the problem was and placed the order for me.

Good news Scott. I'll have to give them a call and see if I can get a new cord for my 500 as well. Thanks for doing the legwork and sharing!!!

Got the new cord yesterday and tried it out. The unit will now run without any batteries in it. It stayed operational and did not turn off at all. So this may have really fixed it.

Interesting but the cord that does not work right was tested Feb 2007 while the replacement cord that seems to be working was tested Dec 2005. Sounds like a new batch of stuff is bad from their vendor.

Back