Lowest density altitude you've seen?

azure

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
azure
At KMPV right now (elevation 1165 MSL) the temperature is -13C and the altimeter setting is 30.69. The combined effect is a density altitude of -2800.

In parts of the region the altimeter setting is as high as 30.76 and the temperature as low as -16C (e.g. at Montreal), so the density altitude should be accordingly even lower.

That got me to thinking. We've all experienced high density altitudes, but what's the lowest density altitude you've ever seen?

Not that low. -1500 or so. People in stupid-cold climates near sea level will get much lower.

If the plane isn't covered in frost (been an issue here lately), it sure climbs well under those conditions.

In Alaska..... -5000 a few times. Really, really good performance.

In Alaska..... -5000 a few times. Really, really good performance.
Oh yeah. I don't doubt it one bit (on both counts).

I used an online density altitude calculator and plugged in the values for Montreal a couple of hours ago and came up with something like -4957 for the density altitude. The temperature was -19C and the altimeter setting 30.78. Granted, Montreal is a lot closer to sea level than KMPV (117 MSL in fact), but that should only account for 1000 feet or so of DA. I was surprised to see that it was over 1000 feet lower still.

-7500 estimated. Temp, barometer, and altitude were know. Dew point was an estimate. That was in the heat of the day. I don't like to fly when it's that cold.

I'm always just impressed when it gets down to sea level equivalent or below around here. :)

-7500 estimated. Temp, barometer, and altitude were know. Dew point was an estimate. That was in the heat of the day. I don't like to fly when it's that cold.

Which is why I only fly in Alaska during the summer now....:yes::lol::lol:

Back