Lower fuel price vs higher ramp fees??

N747JB

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John
I fly into Destin DTS 20-25 times per year, usually staying from 2 to 5 days at a time. The fuel has never been cheap and honestly I have never found cheap fuel at a beach resort area, but this month the new owners of the FBO dropped fuel by $.50 per gallon!! :) BUT, they raised the tie down fee to $90 per night for my Conquest, $75 for a Meridian, $110 for King Airs and I think singles got a similar increase. They no longer waive one night with minimum fuel purchase, just waive the new ramp fee. I spoke to the assistant general manager as I have met him a couple times and it seems they are excited about the new lower price of their fuel, and think it will bring more fuel sales.:rolleyes: He pointed out I saved $35.00 on my fuel purchase, I pointed out I paid $180 to be tied down outside for 48 hours! I don't think I am the winner here.
I would be glad for someone that knows the FBO business to explain how this will help them grow their business. Most of the turbine equipment just drops passengers off and leaves, NetJets and such, I am they were already getting a contract price on fuel, the charter companies and business jets that come in don't stay overnight, so they aren't generating tie down fees from them, just selling fuel at a lower margin. So, no additional revenue, actually less revenue for the FBO.

Sounds like as a frequent visitor you should be able to negotiate a discount. Are you paying more than the equivalent cost of a tie-down?

Sounds like as a frequent visitor you should be able to negotiate a discount. Are you paying more than the equivalent cost of a tie-down?
Monthly tie down is $140.00, they won't do that for someone that isn't there every night of the month, which makes no sense to me, but that's what the man said! I am waiting for them to call me back next week with their offer.

I started flying to Panama City. Destin was a fun place to fly to but I feel much safer at Panama City and closer to 30A considering traffic. Depending on where you are staying, you may consider that strip!

Monthly tie down is $140.00, they won't do that for someone that isn't there every night of the month,

Agreed, ridiculous.

If it makes you feel any better, MRH (resort town on the coast) is also very proud of their ramp space.

Monthly tie down is $140.00, they won't do that for someone that isn't there every night of the month, which makes no sense to me, but that's what the man said! I am waiting for them to call me back next week with their offer.

Every night? Even if you were based there you wouldn't be home every night.

What if you get a monthly tie-down there and occasionally travel to your "city" home in Atlanta? :D

Game the system!

I started flying to Panama City. Destin was a fun place to fly to but I feel much safer at Panama City and closer to 30A considering traffic. Depending on where you are staying, you may consider that strip!
Our house is directly across 98 from the airport, on Holiday Isle, so Panama City is out, I am considering Crestview, but I hate to lose the convenience, I can leave my house, load the airplane and park the truck in 15 minutes or less. A guy here in Atlanta is looking at buying a hangar, if he does, I may try to rent a portion of it if it's big enough for both airplanes.

What if you get a monthly tie-down there and occasionally travel to your "city" home in Atlanta? :D

Game the system!
That is what I am trying to do, they are outsmarting themselves. I think they will end up with less revenue by selling fuel cheaper and less people staying overnight as well.

Game the system!

Problem is, when the tax man goes through the tiedown lease records, they will get interested in your plane...

its happening at almost every "resort" area. since signature bought the FBO in EYW the fees went through the roof, now the airport is empty. it is really depressing how these FBO only want fancy jets on the ramp.

bob

Interesting, there used to a be a locals rate for gas as well. Was usually significant. I want to say around .75 to a dollar a gallon.

And people wonder why GA is dying...

Find a local attorney, have them rent space as an agent.

its happening at almost every "resort" area. since signature bought the FBO ...

bob
I was going to say "theres your problem right there". Oh, you can add Hawthorne to the list of gouge-y FBO's. Its obscene what they charge at RYY since buying out ATL Executive

Interesting, there used to a be a locals rate for gas as well. Was usually significant. I want to say around .75 to a dollar a gallon.
I do get a discount on fuel, which I appreciate! It's still high, but not as high!:D

Our house is directly across 98 from the airport, on Holiday Isle, so Panama City is out, I am considering Crestview, but I hate to lose the convenience, I can leave my house, load the airplane and park the truck in 15 minutes or less. A guy here in Atlanta is looking at buying a hangar, if he does, I may try to rent a portion of it if it's big enough for both airplanes.

Then you have to pay for the privilege of convenience.
Destin is kinda notorious for their high fees, but DestinJet is the only game in town, so if you wanna play, you pay. Or fund someone to open a competing FBO.

Then you have to pay for the privilege of convenience.
Destin is kinda notorious for their high fees, but DestinJet is the only game in town, so if you wanna play, you pay. Or fund someone to open a competing FBO.
I know! There are two FBO's both owned by the same people! :rolleyes:

I was going to say "theres your problem right there". Oh, you can add Hawthorne to the list of gouge-y FBO's. Its obscene what they charge at RYY since buying out ATL Executive

I used to fly down there all the time to eat at Elevation...not so much after the last time. I topped my tanks (which wasn't a whole lot), but still got hit with a fee to park for 45 minutes while eating dinner. Never used to have fees if you were eating at the restaurant, but now they sure do...

I do get a discount on fuel, which I appreciate! It's still high, but not as high!:D

FTY is pricey. Several years ago I was flying a Commander 112A that a friend has there. We fueled up at Stockmar 20GA every time. 100LL was $2/gal cheaper and only 18 nm to the west of FTY. Wow, looks like it's ~$2.50/gal cheaper now, without the discount.

Back