Lower Back Pain

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
Hello,

Assuming I am not going to buy a new mattress, can anyone send me a link to some lower back exercises / stretches that help them personally?

I am not sure I want to see a chiropractor before attempting to fix this myself. It has been over a month now. I am thinking the "lombar" support on my office chair might be to blame and I'm going to remove that. I also should probably exercise more.

Basically, I want to try "free" stuff first before spending any money. I used "pain" in the title but really it is more of a dull ache. Some days it is worse than others but no sharp pain. It does bother me and I want to do something about it.

A few thoughts on this website:
http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/stretching-back-pain-relief

I find that stretching my thighs/pelvis area keeps backaches away. I also try not to sit at my desk for more than 30-40 minutes at a time. The seat in one of my old cars had terrible back support (by the time it was 8 years old), and that contributed to a backache or two.

Jeff

Crunches. They strengthen not just your stomach muscles but lower abdominal muscles, too. If they are stronger, they take more of the load that your spine was previously taking all by itself.

I had lower back pain at one point so severe, it shot down my leg and I walked with a limp. I went to physical therapy and fixed it with exercise, and stretching. Chiropracters sometime do more harm than good. Be careful.

Do NOT gain weight. Keep your abs in shape also, and stretch out your legs often.

I had lower back pain at one point so severe, it shot down my leg and I walked with a limp. I went to physical therapy and fixed it with exercise, and stretching. Chiropracters sometime do more harm than good. Be careful.

Do NOT gain weight. Keep your abs in shape also, and stretch out your legs often.

Yes weight gain could be to blame too. I feel a lot better when I'm smaller (all the strange aches and pains magically go away).

Does the pain shoot down your leg? Does it get worse when sitting down and putting one leg straight out in front?

If so - you might have sciatica. Its not fun, but there's some good stretches I can recommend if that's the case.

Does the pain shoot down your leg? Does it get worse when sitting down and putting one leg straight out in front?

If so - you might have sciatica. Its not fun, but there's some good stretches I can recommend if that's the case.

No but sure when I sit and lift a leg I feel something. Then again the legs are connected and use the back muscles. Regardless, I still want your stretches and don't scare me with big words since I don't have medical insurance right now and can't see a doc.

No but sure when I sit and lift a leg I feel something. Then again the legs are connected and use the back muscles. Regardless, I still want your stretches and don't scare me with big words since I don't have medical insurance right now and can't see a doc.

LOL! Medical insurance wouldn't help anyway, unless you need a doc to say "Yep, your back hurts, here, take this pain pill."

I have a handout from rehab that had a bunch of exercises for this exact thing. I'll scan it and shoot it to you when I get back home from this business trip.

LOL! Medical insurance wouldn't help anyway, unless you need a doc to say "Yep, your back hurts, here, take this pain pill."

I have a handout from rehab that had a bunch of exercises for this exact thing. I'll scan it and shoot it to you when I get back home from this business trip.

Thanks I'm at:

kimberlyanne546

at

yahoo

dot

com

Looking forward to it, and no biggie if you forget either. Have a good business trip.

I know but I think many people get lower back pain so I wanted to know what worked best for them.
Yea but they may not work for you but still worth a try. If your pain gets worse or if you develop other symptoms such as weakness in a foot you might need to bite the bullet and see a physician.

A few thoughts on this website:
http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/stretching-back-pain-relief

I find that stretching my thighs/pelvis area keeps backaches away. I also try not to sit at my desk for more than 30-40 minutes at a time. The seat in one of my old cars had terrible back support (by the time it was 8 years old), and that contributed to a backache or two.

Jeff

These worked for me (Both knees individually and then both together, 10 reps each). My ex-girlfriend, who is a PT, had me do these.

Back flexion exercise
While lying on one’s back, pull both knees to the chest while simultaneously flexing the head forward until a comfortable stretch is felt in a balled-up position.
Knee to Chest Stretch
While lying on the back with the knees bent and both heels on the floor, place both hands behind one knee and bring it to the chest.

BTW, I am not overweight and workout regurlarly. Sometimes you just hurt your back. I think I lifted something wrong, while moving.

Last edited:
For every horror story there's good news, too. I had a pinched sciatic nerve so severe I was in withering pain for days. Couldn't stand, sit, walk, crawl, lie flat, sleep, etc ... MD prescribed muscle relaxers. I was then just an miserable, hurting blob of jello.

1st Chiropractor resulted in no relief after 5 days. Got a recommendation to another chiropractor who worked with the Broncos and Rockies - day 2 was 50% relief with continued improvement every day.

So, not all Chiropractic treatment is the same...

For every horror story there's good news, too. I had a pinched sciatic nerve so severe I was in withering pain for days. Couldn't stand, sit, walk, crawl, lie flat, sleep, etc ... MD prescribed muscle relaxers. I was then just an miserable, hurting blob of jello.

1st Chiropractor resulted in no relief after 5 days. Got a recommendation to another chiropractor who worked with the Broncos and Rockies - day 2 was 50% relief with continued improvement every day.

So, not all Chiropractic treatment is the same...

So I should find a celebrity Chiropractor?

Toga. err I mean yoga. I have a PT routine prescribed 10 years ago that works for the most part and started doing yoga a few months ago and that helps. It is pretty much the same thing as core strengthening PT with a bunch of happy hippy stuff thrown in.

I assume you have a desk job?

Could be due to E.B.S. Syndrome.

Excessive butt sitting.

I made a stand to raise my keyboard / display so I can work standing up. Just standing isn't great, but I move around a lot.

Posture while sitting is huge. Don't slouch. Don't cross your legs while sitting or even lying on your back in bed.

Experiment with your chair.

Get up and move on a regular basis.

I assume you don't have an over-sized wallet in your back pocket. That's more of a dude thing. The dudette thing is a heavy purse always hanging on one side...

Yes, I sit a lot. And my apartment is TINY (studio) so don't get much moving around there either. Standing is not an option but I do slouch. I will start with my chair (took an ergo class at HP). My keyboard is also WAY too far from me so I'm reaching.

Hang upside down 3 times a week for 5 minutes on an inversion table $99.00 at Academy or Target. Works wonder on lower back pain.

Brent:idea:

Hang upside down 3 times a week for 5 minutes on an inversion table $99.00 at Academy or Target. Works wonder on lower back pain.

Brent:idea:

I heard about this stuff. Problem is I have a studio apartment. And the BF would not approve of this thing taking up space in his house. And I'm not over there 3 times per week. Sorry!

I heard about this stuff. Problem is I have a studio apartment. And the BF would not approve of this thing taking up space in his house. And I'm not over there 3 times per week. Sorry!

It folds...put it under the bed....my parents were not enthused either, after using it they now buy their friends one for their birthdays. Believe me I've had more than my share of back and neck injuries...9G's does it 's damage over the years...Gravity...it's a *****!:nono:

You just might need a new boyfriend.

I second Robin McKenzie's "book". It's more of a huge pamphlet. The ideas are sound: But, be careful not to do the exercises 8x /hour as he suggests. It's tooo much and too yuppie.Remember, Robin is an Aussie physical therapist and "if the programme doesn't succeed, it's because you didn't do it enough".

I also have to say that the $99.00 inversion setups are responsible for more injuries when they collapse, than you can name. The good heavily built ones start at about $250.

Last edited:
Chiropractic treatments and inversion can provide temporary relief, but if you want a long term solution, then exercise, range of motion, and core strengthening are probably a better bet. However, if you have radicular symptoms (pain radiating down your leg below your knee), then you may want to consult a spine surgeon who can evaluate the presence or absence of an acutely herniated disk.

I second Robin McKenzie's "book". It's more of a huge pamphlet. The ideas are sound: But, be careful not to do the exercises 8x /hour as he suggests. It's tooo much and too yuppie.Remember, Robin is an Aussie physical therapist and "if the programme doesn't succeed, it's because you didn't do it enough".

I also have to say that the $99.00 inversion setups are responsible for more injuries when they collapse, than you can name. The good heavily built ones start at about $250.

OK thank you Doctor. I have two Amazon gift certificates lying around and now I can use one of them. Your free advice is always appreciated. I will get the book. And I agree, the $99 sounded cheap, I think stretching, posture, exercise, etc is better. I can "hang" upside down at a playground if I have to.

This is an interesting thread....

http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic63165_20.html#b

Maybe drinking is causing the problem. You know a small space can lead to that:rofl:

Actually, drinking could be a problem. For example, if you don't drink, you sleep in a "comfy" position and wake up when uncomfy. If you have a drink, or more than one, before bed, you may just sort of fall asleep any which way. Also, snuggling could be bad. My neck and back hurt after falling asleep on his chest..... I should mention I sleep like a rock - so - alcohol or no alcohol - where I fall asleep is where I wake up - often with "marks" to prove it. (Patterns of the sheets on my face / arms.)

But then again, being a sound sleeper like me is a good thing. I get "quality" sleep. I pass out so hard core that people in my youth have told me stories I won't repeat here. When I was 3 years old, according to my parents, I even slept through a cannon.....

(CAL football fires a blank at their college football games when they score a touchdown)

[I also have to say that the $99.00 inversion setups are responsible for more injuries when they collapse, than you can name. The good heavily built ones start at about $250.[/QUOTE]

10 years of doing it no problem...if you can setup a ladder you can do it.:dunno:

I recommend buying an old hotel, and remodeling it.

After two years of intensive reconstruction, my lower back pain is gone. Today I lifted not one, but two toilets, up to shoulder height, and carried them down, then up, stairs to rooms we're working on.

Two years ago, that would have been impossible -- or would have resulted in days/weeks of discomfort. Now, it's just another day.

[I also have to say that the $99.00 inversion setups are responsible for more injuries when they collapse, than you can name. The good heavily built ones start at about $250.

10 years of doing it no problem...if you can setup a ladder you can do it.:dunno:[/QUOTE]

Could weight possibly a factor in the failures? Or inability to follow directions? Just sayin'

I've been "retired" 1.4 years now. The two lawsuits over collapsed inversion setups are still going on....

I've been dealing with back pain for 30 years. Once you have it, it will be a recurring issue for a long time. Even after you've felt great for months/years, a wrong turn, awkward motion, picking up your little neice, or even a sneeze may cause a relapse that may last for quite a while. Strengthening your lower stomach muscles will help but not eliminate your problem. Relief through chiropractic methods are temporary if not completely placebic. You'll find that a good mattress will help you recuperate from an episode and ward off daily soreness. Be extra careful not to re-injure while you are in rehab. Some tricks I learned are: if you have to sneeze, hold your head back throughout. It takes ALL the stress off your back when you do. If you are standing at the sink, for example, and your lower back is sore, put one foot up on a low stool (you'll feel instant relief). Always sleep on your back (with a pillow under your knees) or on your side with your arms crossed in front of you. Never sleep on your stomach. Always stretch when you first get out of bed. Do it slowly and deliberately. You are less likely to injure you back if it isn't already in a knot from sleeping in a bad position.
My doctor once told me, "well, I can do surgery, and it will take about six months for you to feel better. Or, I can give you steroid injections that will take most of the pain away but it will take you about six months to feel better. Or I can do nothing and it will take you about six months to feel better." And he was right.:dunno:

Last edited:
I've been dealing with back pain for 30 years. Once you have it, it will be a recurring issue for a long time. Even after you've felt great for months/years, a wrong turn, awkward motion, picking up your little neice, or even a sneeze may cause a relapse that may last for quite a while. Strengthening your lower stomach muscles will help but not eliminate your problem. Relief through chiropractic methods are temporary if not completely placebic. You'll find that a good mattress will help you recuperate from an episode and ward off daily soreness. Be extra careful not to re-injure while you are in rehab. Some tricks I learned are: if you have to sneeze, hold your head back throughout. It takes ALL the stress off your back when you do. If you are standing at the sink, for example, and your lower back is sore, put one foot up on a low stool (you'll feel instant relief). Always sleep on your back (with a pillow under your knees) or on your side with your arms crossed in front of you. Never sleep on your stomach. Always stretch when you first get out of bed. Do it slowly and deliberately. You are less likely to injure you back if it isn't already in a knot from sleeping in a bad position.
My doctor once told me, "well, I can do surgery, and it will take about six months for you to feel better. Or, I can give you steroid injections that will take most of the pain away but it will take you about six months to feel better. Or I can do nothing and it will take you about six months to feel better." And he was right.:dunno:

Thanks, I sleep on my stomach. I can / do sleep on my side but cannot sleep on my back. I'll try just doing the side thing, I did last night and my back already feels better.

Thanks, I sleep on my stomach. I can / do sleep on my side but cannot sleep on my back. I'll try just doing the side thing, I did last night and my back already feels better.

Another of the 7% who do, eh?

http://www.pillowreview.com/Stomach-Sleepers.html

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool you'll-find-me-passed-out-face-down-somewhere sleeper. Even hard floors if need be, like stuck in a commercial office building overnight or airport or whatever.

Only problem is sometimes I really tweak a shoulder doing it... but if you put me flat on my back, I will just stare at the ceiling for hours, and never fall asleep.

Anyway, I got a kick out of the above website...

"According to Professor Idzikowski, stomach sleepers are very friendly, but they can also be very blunt and sometimes abrupt. He goes on to say that most stomach sleepers don’t like criticism. Does this sound like you?"

Yup. Hahaha...

"People who regularly sleep in the prone position - and both Madonna and I are in this category, interestingly enough - tend to have strong compulsive tendencies and stubbornness in their personalities and are persistent and goal-oriented."

(From: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/janet-kinosian/what-your-sleep-position_b_98281.html)

Uh-huh. Yup.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/artic...ng_Position_Reveals_Clues_to_Your_Personality

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back