Low Wing Reputation

I have had more low wing planes than the high wing.

The high wing, was a Cessna 182; a great instrument flyer.

Low wings, Piper Cherokee 180C Piper Turbo Arrow and Beech Debonair.

They all are favorites to me and did their missions well.

John J

N2212R said:
Anyone who owns a low wing (or prefers renting them) and posts to this thread - which I only started as part of a shameless ply to drive the reputation points up of people who own planes with wings in the correct spot - will receive reputation points from me.

:D

What can I say, I'm bored and waiting on charts to get here for my trip - so my planning is limited.

I fly low-wings everytime I need help fantasizing I'm a fighter pilot... (They usually work better than high-wings for that)

I loved my 150, I loved the 172's & 210's I trained, I love my Musketeer, I love my 182, I Love Grummies, I loved my Archer, I love my caravan, I loved the Aerostar & the Apache & the Comanchee & the Duchess, The Cougar .............................

Humm I see a trend here :)

N2212R said:
Anyone who owns a low wing (or prefers renting them) and posts to this thread - which I only started as part of a shameless ply to drive the reputation points up of people who own planes with wings in the correct spot - will receive reputation points from me.

:D

What can I say, I'm bored and waiting on charts to get here for my trip - so my planning is limited.

So the Mooney is the sweetest plane (high or low wing)...

First, the wings are low... the speed is high...
Second, the tail is oriented correctly, all other tails are on backwards...
Third, the wing is laminar... cool looking and very fast...

Once you've flown one, you'll never go back!!

phil

Steve said:
I suspect a rigorous analysis of the statistics would demonstrate that people tend to favor the aircraft configuration they initially trained in.
Where I learned and rent now, the owner told me that he trains everyone in the 150s or 172s. If they continue to fly the high wings they are very happy with them. But if they ever decide to get checked out in the Warrior they almost never go back to the high wings.
My observations, over a much shorter time period, agrees with his. :)

pcorman said:
So the Mooney is the sweetest plane (high or low wing)...
Once you've flown one, you'll never go back!!
Unless you sell it to make room for the growing family. In which case after a few years you'll be trying to figure out which family member(s) to sell to make a Mooney viable again.

Started flying in a Katana DA20 and logged a few IFR training hours in a Skyhawk. I prefer not having a wing in my view on turns and love my Archer.

So Ed, any chance of a stiff wind out of the southwest on the BZN -> COE leg that could blow you off course into...let's say Glacier Park International (FCA)? We could have lunch & revise your navigation plans and get you back to COE pretty easily. BZN -> MSO -> FCA will get you some spectacular views, including a beautiful low-wing Archer:)

drhunt said:
So Ed, any chance of a stiff wind out of the southwest on the BZN -> COE leg that could blow you off course into...let's say Glacier Park International (FCA)? We could have lunch & revise your navigation plans and get you back to COE pretty easily. BZN -> MSO -> FCA will get you some spectacular views, including a beautiful low-wing Archer:)

That might be doable. I have a guy that wants me to play golf with him in Wenatchee. Maybe I just overnight there and then take one day getting from there to Scappoose. Send me an e-mail or private message about it.

N2212R said:
So Ed, any chance of a stiff wind out of the southwest on the BZN -> COE leg that could blow you off course into...let's say Glacier Park International (FCA)?.......That might be doable.

Ed,
If you are going to be near Kalispell, there is a really cool part of the Continental Divide out there called the Chinese Wall. It looks very much like the Great Wall of China when you fly down the length of it. I got there by flying up the Hungry Horse reservoir then following the Spotted Bear River around to the east then south. It starts at about the headwaters of the river and goes for about 10-15 miles. I think you could get there from the East by flying to Benchmark (3U7) following the river north(s. fork of the Sun River) to the West Fork of the Sun then fly North along the Chinese wall and follow the Spotted Bear back to the reservoir. Glacier Park Int. is then just a left turn past the last hill. There is also a really cool rock formation just north of the Spotted Bear River called Gunsight. 3 rock pillars that can be lined up to look exactly like a gun sight.
I have some rough lat/long coordinates for the areas if you want. On a nice day it was a very easy flight. I did it with 3 people in a Tripacer. The area is at least as interesting as Pictured Rocks.

Barb Miller

Well Ed, if the offer's still open.....:D

I just had my first flight in the Diamond DA 20. Funny lookin' thing, but the wing is low. It's a slippery little sucker, has a stick :)goofy: ) and is alot faster than the flogged out Cessna's I've been renting... at the same cost as a 172! Pus it has a moving map GPS, and it's just so... modern. I guess you can put me in the "prefer to rent" low wing catagory now! Only need one more flight to complete my checkout in it. Sweet little plane...

T Bone said:
Well Ed, if the offer's still open.....:D

I just had my first flight in the Diamond DA 20. Funny lookin' thing, but the wing is low. It's a slippery little sucker, has a stick :)goofy: ) and is alot faster than the flogged out Cessna's I've been renting... at the same cost as a 172! Pus it has a moving map GPS, and it's just so... modern. I guess you can put me in the "prefer to rent" low wing catagory now! Only need one more flight to complete my checkout in it. Sweet little plane...

After your signature is changed! :yes:

N2212R said:
After your signature is changed! :yes:

Better? Lol.... somehow, I knew you were gonna say that!

I was going to wait until I finish the checkout, but hey... what's a few days (I want to read the POH pretty thoroughly, and mybe even touch on the Garmin 430 a little bit before I go back to "finish what I started". Hmm.... sure is nice out today though!) ;)

T Bone said:
Better? Lol.... somehow, I knew you were gonna say that!

I was going to wait until I finish the checkout, but hey... what's a few days (I want to read the POH pretty thoroughly, and mybe even touch on the Garmin 430 a little bit before I go back to "finish what I started". Hmm.... sure is nice out today though!) ;)

There is a good simulator on the garmin site for the 430 and also a downloadable manual that might be helpful for that powerful unit.

Iceman said:
There is a good simulator on the garmin site for the 430 and also a downloadable manual that might be helpful for that powerful unit.

Thanks, yep. Downloaded the sim, the manual and a couple of supplements two days ago. Looks like great stuff, a LOT of information..... I need to start (I think) with the quick reference guide, just to get my feet wet. Amazing piece of technology....

T Bone said:
Thanks, yep. Downloaded the sim, the manual and a couple of supplements two days ago. Looks like great stuff, a LOT of information..... I need to start (I think) with the quick reference guide, just to get my feet wet. Amazing piece of technology....

Yea the quick reference guide will get you started. I found the most helpful thing was a video that garmin put out on the unit. I think I've seen it 3 times and still learn from it. I think we got it free from garmin a few years ago at airventure but you might be able to call them and get the video sent to you for a small fee.

I too have been thinking about getting checked out in a da20. There is a FBO that has a club program which rents a da20/da40 at very reduced prices. the only problem is the FBO is a little over an hour from me...is the da20 worth the drive?

Iceman said:
Yea the quick reference guide will get you started. I found the most helpful thing was a video that garmin put out on the unit. I think I've seen it 3 times and still learn from it. I think we got it free from garmin a few years ago at airventure but you might be able to call them and get the video sent to you for a small fee.

I too have been thinking about getting checked out in a da20. There is a FBO that has a club program which rents a da20/da40 at very reduced prices. the only problem is the FBO is a little over an hour from me...is the da20 worth the drive?

I'll check into the video (I have a copy of the G1000 overview from a freind that bought one, not any help here, but cool!).

As to whether it's worth it, that's an individual choice. My travel to the cheap and plentiful Cessna's is about 17 minutes. Better than 45 to the DA20, and I see myself going there alot. I'ts also on the other side of KDTW's Bravo, making that aspect of an Easterly heading easier. OTOH, this FBO only has the one DA 20, so if it's taken, it'll be back to the 152's (my FBO has 6) at least until the Cherokee 180 comes back online (another month?) with the new engine.

I guess it depends on what you're flying now, and how much you like the idea of flying something truly modern. In the long run, I'd say try it for yourself. I'll bet your answer will be :yes:

Back