Low Water

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
For those of you complaining about too much rain, my Scottsdale MOM included, the photo of Lake Powell(Northern Arizona)was taken by my brother. His boat is at the bottom of the photo and he writes, "Unlike Ma, we need rain. Where the rock turns color to gray is the usual water level". And Powell is a BIG puddle.

HR
(Sorry about the size; and I had downsized it from what Andrew had sent me from his Page, AZ location)

Last edited:
Lawreston said:
For those of you complaining about too much rain, my Scottsdale MOM included, the photo of Lake Powell(Northern Arizona)was taken by my brother. His boat is at the bottom of the photo and he writes, "Unlike Ma, we need rain. Where the rock turns color to gray is the usual water level". And Powell is a BIG puddle.

HR
(Sorry about the size; and I had downsized it from what Andrew had sent me from his Page, AZ location)

It's been bad in Pac NW too.
Ski areas closed all winter ! Just started getting mountain snow in early April for our summer water.
Better get our fire-bombers overhauled...

A long time ago I was on Lake Shasta in northern California when the water level was almost 70ft below normal. They had to completely rebuild the marinas and launch facilities plus there were all sorts of things sticking out of the water (trees, tops of buildings) that were left in place when the place was turned into a reservior.

The northern AZ/southern CO/NV reservoirs fill with the runoff from the Rockies down the Colorado River. With all of the snow up in the high country, watch for rises in the water level over the next few months. Not where it SHOULD be in ideal situations but better than what it is now.

In the meantime, CAP (Central Arizona Project) and SRP (Salt River Project) reservoirs in central AZ are full. We won't be drawing off of the Colorado as much as we thought we had to. AZ hasn't used its full allocation of Colorado River water for quite some time but they thought this was the year we'd need it. Not so at this point.

lancefisher said:
A long time ago I was on Lake Shasta in northern California when the water level was almost 70ft below normal. They had to completely rebuild the marinas and launch facilities plus there were all sorts of things sticking out of the water (trees, tops of buildings) that were left in place when the place was turned into a reservior.

We had a nearly similar problem in Maine a couple years ago when there was a severe drought. Places like Sebago Lake(and other lake areas) whose economies are built around "them outsidahs comin' in to thuh cottiges n camps fer thuh summah," same were calling the marina owners to question whether it would be feasible to keep the reservation of the boat slip(what with the lake-bottom vegetation being visible). There was even a laxity of supply of product at the famed Poland Spring bottling facility.

HR

Back