Low pass over KABE

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
We had an inspection done on the R44 up at Cherry Ridge (N30). One of my partners in the Cherokee flew me up there to bring the ship back. On the way home, I called Allentown Approach from about 15 nm to the north. I was flying at 2500 MSL to clear some ridges. I got a squawk code, Allentown asked me to remain at 2500, and then proceded to let me fly directly over the field.

That's the first time that I recall a class C airport letting me make a pass right over the field at an altitude that low. I even got to watch an RJ depart from a mile or two out. Good fun :D

Oh yeah, the takeoff was fun too. The ship was parked outside a private hangar off the field. The area was pretty confined, so I did a vertical liftoff to get me over the hangar and house, and then forward cyclic once I was clear. The 44 wasn't even breathing hard -- I only needed about 21" MP to establish my vertical ascent :yes:

I used to do photo flights in Baltimore using a Cessna 172. I often flew directly over KBWI at 1500 feet. Tower always cleared me to cross by overflying runway 22/04 which basically means I won't interfer with arrivals and departures.

My favorite ride of all time was catching a ride in an R44 from the Robinson factory to LAX. Felt like a VIP.

RotaryWingBob said:
Oh yeah, the takeoff was fun too. The ship was parked outside a private hangar off the field. The area was pretty confined, so I did a vertical liftoff to get me over the hangar and house, and then forward cyclic once I was clear. The 44 wasn't even breathing hard -- I only needed about 21" MP to establish my vertical ascent :yes:

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

Back