Low level transistion along coastline through LAX Class B

James Darren

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
James Darren
Hi all,

Is it possible to transition through the LAX Class B airspace along the coastline at 1000' or below?

Let's say you depart KSMO & would like to do a left turn at the beach and fly along the coast, would it be likely for LAX to give you clearance if you're below 1000'?

I see helicopters doing it but does anyone have any experience in this route?

Helicopters fly through the shoreline route at or below 150 feet. So no, this is very likely not going to happen.

Hi all,

Is it possible to transition through the LAX Class B airspace along the coastline at 1000' or below?

Let's say you depart KSMO & would like to do a left turn at the beach and fly along the coast, would it be likely for LAX to give you clearance if you're below 1000'?

You can always ask for it

Helicopters fly through the shoreline route at or below 150 feet. So no, this is very likely not going to happen.

Why would helicopter activity mean no? Obviously you have to be careful of rotor wash/turbulence but if anything, I would think helicopter activity supports the idea that low level GA operations through the surface area are possible.

I was going to ask a similar question as the OP but mine was more on the procedure of who to contact to get the clearance to transit the surface area...

In San Diego, its possible to transition the airspace along the coast. They usually have you at or below 500' for the transition of the surface area and when I do it, I just contact San Diego/Lindbergh Tower directly as I get close (Crystal Pier or hand-off from North Island Tower). San Diego also will allow you to transition over the approach end of RWY 27 along taxiway-Delta at 1500' all the way to MZB which allows for a cool sight-seeing trip through Coronado Bay, the downtown area and over seaworld.

While this seems to work just fine for SAN, the tower/airport is certainly not as busy as LAX. So back to my question about who to contact, you could easily follow the coast (or even slightly inland) all the way to the LAX surface area (be sure to watch out for the Class-Delta's north and south of LAX) at an altitude below 5000' without ever having to talk to anyone but I cant imagine its good form to show up on LAX's doorstep unannounced and unexpected with how busy they are but maybe Im wrong and the correct procedure is to contact LAX Tower directly.

Or maybe the best bet is to request flight-following from SoCal... Even as busy as they are with LAX, Ive not had an issue getting flight following from SoCal though admittedly, I havent made much use of the service and the few times I have they may have given it to me more for SAR purposes on account of my destination (Catalina - AVX).

So what's the best procedure?

I understand that if you intend to land at or transition fully through a Bravo, you should reach out to approach ASAP for sequencing as failure to do so may result in you spending quite a bit of time circling while waiting for that clearance to come through but who do contact and when do you contact them when your transition will take you through only a small portion of the airspace and one that is technically under the control of a different facility (Tower vs Approach)

I have flown in Texas, Pennsylvania and Southern California which has put me in close enough proximity to just over 1/3 of the nations class B's that every instructor (Ive had multiple instructors for rental checkouts in each location) Ive worked with has discussed class B procedures with me before signing off on my rental qualification... From those discussions, Ive gathered that there are huge differences between Class B's in one part of the country from the other and everything from the time of day, airport, approach center and request made seems to make a big difference.

Case in point on 2 different occasions on the same day, I waited 20 minutes to get clearance into and through PHL's class B (completely away from the SFC area and the appr/dept routes for the day) and I waited no time at all on my return trip to get clearance through the area and was even able to fly almost freely (they provided vectoring but accommodated every request I made including crossing the approach path for a low altitude pass over downtown).

While I've never flown there, there also is plenty of a anecdotal stories told about Chicago Approach and the difficulty of getting any services from them.

In the Eastern portion of the country, there seems to be very few options that would allow you to just "show up" in the Class B surface area since the shelf's get very low over high density population centers or have surrounding airspaces that you would have to transit (talking to someone along the way) first.. Not thats its impossible, just very hard to do... On the West coast, the Bravo's seem to allow you to get much closer to the surface areas without having to reach out to anyone. So the question still stands.

Last edited:
They wouldn't let me do it. Its in Class B so they can deny you. You would have to fly offshore 12 miles to be below the 2000' shelf.

I know they can deny you, there was no question of that.

But LAX does have the a Coastal Route and a Mini Route that puts you over the airport... They also have a SFR corridor that allows the same without clearance/entering the bravo though at higher altitude...

Still, although the instructions for the coastal route say to enter the B at the Vincent Thomas Bridge, you could fly the coastal route all the way to the surface area without actually entering the Bravo until the surface area.

For those purposes though, I suppose you'd best contact socal approach even though you arent in the Bravo until the surface area.

Along the same lines, the mini-route says to contact Hawthorne tower when its open and LAX tower when its closed.

Hello all,

I've been wanting to request this transition since I began flying in the South Bay and finally had the chance to do so yesterday. While I was passing "Rat Beach" at 500ft AGL headed northbound, I asked Torrance for the transition. He said at first that he has no jurisdiction over that area and to contact LAX tower directly at 119.8.

I then asked the Torrance controller what the chances are that LA would grant me my request. He replied, "my supervisor informs me that they no longer grant those transitions to GA aircraft, only helicopters."

Bummer! Just wanted to chime in and tell of my comms yesterday. Hope that helps and maybe seals the mystery on this elusive transition.

The problem with 1000 feet on the shoreline by LAX is that MANY jets will be taking off right into your path. Just use the SFRA at 3500.

Hi all,

Possible, yes. Likely no. There used to be a an "off shore" route, I think the name was actually the Shorline Route. I think the Mini Route came along about the same time the Shoreline Route went away. Try calling youself a helicopter, thump your chest when you transmit so you'll sound like one. That might work. Once

You can ask, but likely you will be denied. I fly back and forth through the LA Bravo a lot and always use one of the published routes with no trouble. Almost every flight on a nice sunny day I get to listen to someone trying something that's off-book and getting denied. I've heard them kindly prompt people over to a published route, or even give them vectors along one of those routes, but not once have I heard anyone (aside from a helo) get cleared along the shoreline.

Hi all,

Ok don't quote me on this because it's been many years (early to mid 2000s?) since I've flown that transition, but I used to fly it quite regularly. As far as I know it was then, and remains a helicopter (only) shoreline transition at or below 100'.

We were usually around 30' or below, any higher and you miss all the great scenery.

PS, Don't tell Bob.

Back