Goofy

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Goofy
Removed for lack of useful response.

Last edited:
Waiver?
Same thing for recording S.C.O.R.E. races in the desert.

Good old subpart (d) or why helicopters are better than airplanes. Do airplane drivers stop reading the CFRs after the first paragraph?

(d) Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this
section if the operation is conducted
without hazard to persons or property
on the surface. In addition, each person
operating a helicopter shall comply
with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the
Administrator

OK, here's one for the FAR cognoscenti: What is the minimum legal altitude to fly over and around the surfers at Mavericks when the competition begins? And how do the helicopters get right down on the water to film them legally?

The FAR says 500' away, not up. Any radius of the the 500' spherical shell will be fine.

Good old subpart (d) or why helicopters are better than airplanes. Do airplane drivers stop reading the CFRs after the first paragraph?

(d) Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this
section if the operation is conducted
without hazard to persons or property
on the surface. In addition, each person
operating a helicopter shall comply
with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the
Administrator

Yeah Greg, I had read that one time when I wondered how they routinely flew under the Golden Gate Bridge and the only way I can is with Microsoft Flight Simulator.....
Didn't think it applied here but looks like it may.

The FAR says 500' away, not up. Any radius of the the 500' spherical shell will be fine.

I'd be very concerned that the Storm Troop.....er.....FAA would define the competition area as qualifying under the 1000' within 2000' rule.

It's great to be afraid of the government, isn't it? :no:

I'd be very concerned that the Storm Troop.....er.....FAA would define the competition area as qualifying under the 1000' within 2000' rule.

You can choose to be afraid of them, I'm not.

The FAA has never given me a reason to fear them either; they have always been very reasonable with me.

I guess the miserable experiences of others don't matter to you, hence the source of the problem. The monthly legal article in AOPA's magazine convinced me years ago and it's just getting worse all the time.

I guess the miserable experiences of others don't matter to you, hence the source of the problem. The monthly legal article in AOPA's magazine convinced me years ago and it's just getting worse all the time.

This and AOPA are just like any other media issue and outlet, take the couple examples you find and blow them all out of proportion and show how the system is being ruined and how you have to send more money to help them protect you. It's fear mongering for profit. I don't run my life regulated by fear of what happens in .5% of situations.

If it's getting so much worse and the FAA is so irrational and full of GA hating bureaucrats please explain to me the regulatory outcome of the Cory Liddle crash.

Last edited:
I might add to what Henning said: my interactions with FAA, actually more FSDO have been very reasonable. They've been guest speakers at my flying club; helped me when I needs a ferry permit and were quite reasonable when I went over a hold short line I had difficulty seeing (pouring rain with lightning with faded markings in an unusual position). I think most of them are really trying to do a good job. There is always that small percentage like anywhere one hopes they don't interact with, or if they do, everything is in exact order.

Best,

Dave

You are welcome to find a different government in any other nation of your choosing. I recommend you try Somalia. Absolutely NO governmental regulations to plague you. Right wing Heaven!! Dave

You are welcome to find a different government in any other nation of your choosing. I recommend you try Somalia. Absolutely NO governmental regulations to plague you. Right wing Heaven!! Dave

Yeah, how's that head in the sand program working out for ya? (Left Wing motto.)

:rofl:

Last edited:
AOPA's legal column concentrates on the .01% of the weird/bad/bogus things that happen in that world, and ignore the 99.99% where things are reasonable.

Yeah, how's that head in the sand program working out for ya? (Left Wing motto.)

:rofl:
the one's with their head in the sand are those who are rushing toward this right wing fascism. Somalia is a dose of reality for those who hate a strong central government. Tell me, How many Somali's have you discussed government with? I know several, none on any aid programs, and all working hard and glad to pay our minor tax levels,in exchange for the bountiful things you seem to take for granted. Instead of having your head up some pundits dark region, try talking to people who have been there and lived it? you learn about flying from pilots. I learn about Somali from people who have lived there. Very few, almost none are on any welfare, yet they mostly seem to approve of our current system, it beats the alternative, which they have seen. Dave

the one's with their head in the sand are those who are rushing toward this right wing fascism. Somalia is a dose of reality for those who hate a strong central government. Tell me, How many Somali's have you discussed government with? I know several, none on any aid programs, and all working hard and glad to pay our minor tax levels,in exchange for the bountiful things you seem to take for granted. Instead of having your head up some pundits dark region, try talking to people who have been there and lived it? you learn about flying from pilots. I learn about Somali from people who have lived there. Very few, almost none are on any welfare, yet they mostly seem to approve of our current system, it beats the alternative, which they have seen. Dave

Then you would be much happier in Europe where the left wing wackos have sat around (heads in sand) and let the governments destroy GA almost altogether. Keep it up - you're doing just fine here too......:mad2:

PS: what the hell does Somalia have to do with altitude restrictions? Jeeeesh.

Last edited:
AOPA's legal column concentrates on the .01% of the weird/bad/bogus things that happen in that world, and ignore the 99.99% where things are reasonable.

I expected you to come out from under your rock on this one. Yeah AOPA is the devil and their columnist attorney doesn't know squat - yeah I hear ya Tim - very impressive opinion there.

Frankly I'll take my advice from someone with the education, training, experience, and who deals with it every day rather than a couple guys that live on the forums to spread their amateur advice. :mad2:

Last edited:
I expected you to come out from under your rock on this one. Yeah AOPA is the devil and their columnist attorney doesn't know squat - yeah I hear ya Tim - very impressive opinion there.

Frankly I'll take my advice from someone with the education, training, experience, and who deals with it every day rather than a couple guys that live on the forums to spread their amateur advice. :mad2:

I have around 1000hrs flying below 100' often right off the beach with '0' violations in over 20 years, YMMV. On the way to OSH I flew from Jacksonville to past Charleston at 25' right offshore to slide under a system. ATC called and asked my conditions "25' off the deck just offshore in the clear with over 10 miles vis and fat dumb and happy thanks" "Roger that".

As for the legalities, FARs are clear:
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
Closer, not 'above'.

Last edited:
Back