Low flyer, and Touchy!

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
At 08B, Bowdoinham, Maine. I'm not certain what order the photos will appear.

EDIT: View the photos from right to left.

However:
The wide angle shot shows 14/32. Note the white pipe in the middle of the runway. Another shot is a little closer(note the spot at the left of the pipe); another shot gets closer; next, the Killdeer is sitting on three eggs and gets very excited if anyone comes near. And the closest shot? One can only get just so much sharpness out of a hand-held 500mm shot which has been cropped to the hilt.

HR

Attachments

• Killdeer564.jpg
    Killdeer564.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Killdeer565.jpg
    Killdeer565.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Killdeer567.jpg
    Killdeer567.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Killdeer563(1).jpg
    Killdeer563(1).jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Killdeer563.jpg
    Killdeer563.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
What is the ring around the bird all about?

What is the ring around the bird all about?

The runway has been closed because of all the recent rains, so there was no bother to the Mama. As it's been getting dryer -- but yet to open -- the marking is a visual reminder for anyone to stay away from that area which is easily stumbled upon if unaware of her presence.

Good bird! Didn't nest in a plane!

I'm going back today to try and get a closer(physically, rather than optically) shot of the Mama. She seems to enjoy spreading her wings while sitting on the eggs.

This is the 2nd year a Killdeer has nested on the runway, and only about 50' distance between the sites.

HR

I'm going back today to try and get a closer(physically, rather than optically) shot of the Mama. She seems to enjoy spreading her wings while sitting on the eggs.

This is the 2nd year a Killdeer has nested on the runway, and only about 50' distance between the sites.

HR

We have kildeer all over the place here and they are fun little birds. I had one nesting next to my driveway last year. She let me get pretty close but no one else.

We have kildeer all over the place here and they are fun little birds. I had one nesting next to my driveway last year. She let me get pretty close but no one else.
Some wild critters are less fearful of a similar species. :D

You know how a killdeer does that fake-broken-wing dance to try to lure you away from its nest?

Well in 2005, my first day at Brennand Airport, I was parking the plane in its temporary tie-down spot for the first time, and here was this killdeer boldy running in front of me while taxiing, doing the broken wing thing. It walked along like it was leading me, and kept looking back at me thinking, "That's the biggest bird I've ever seen, and wow, it's gullible too." :rofl:

Just looking at your avatar....Is your cat the jealous type?

Back