Low Cost Stealth Capability

I hope they had web access before departing to file their eAPIS.

They are all in custody, pending immigration status decision. :dunno:

They are all in custody, pending immigration status decision. :dunno:

Normal procedure. If they made landfall unassisted, they can claim political asylum. If they were fished out of the drink by the USCG, their status is murky.

(I didn't read the article. But it happens regularly. And I don't think the laws have changed, but it's been a long time since I read up on it.)

Normal procedure. If they made landfall unassisted, they can claim political asylum. If they were fished out of the drink by the USCG, their status is murky.

(I didn't read the article. But it happens regularly. And I don't think the laws have changed, but it's been a long time since I read up on it.)
That's what I was pointing out. It's just another boat of Cubans seeking asylum - nothing to get worked up over IMO.

Is there an actual cut off for how close you have to get to request asylum? Do you have to make to shore? within X miles? what?

\__[Ô]__/;961824 said:
Is there an actual cut off for how close you have to get to request asylum? Do you have to make to shore? within X miles? what?

I think you have to plant a foot on dry ground.

Isn't a 21 ft. vessel pretty hard to pick out of the wave clutter on radar?

Also, aren't there a lot of US pleasure craft in that area? How do you tell the difference unless you have eyes on that particular boat?

Isn't a 21 ft. vessel pretty hard to pick out of the wave clutter on radar?

Also, aren't there a lot of US pleasure craft in that area? How do you tell the difference unless you have eyes on that particular boat?

Most of the boats aren't exactly pleasure cruisers. Many are just beaten up hulks or lashed together crap. It's not a fun trip from what I've read.

Two weeks ago I was ramp check by the crew of a US Customs Border Patrol helicopter at TJMZ. They just landed behind me and three young guys in kaki suit with bullet proof vest walk out of the helo and approached me. They asked for the following:

Pilot Certificate
Medical
Drivers License
Aircraft Registration
Aircraft Airworthiness

They check every document for authenticity and against data on an iPad. They were very cordial and friendly but thorough on the plane inspection. The reason for checking on me was because is very unusual for someone flying nonstop from Florida to a small field in PR were there is no facilities at all but just one guard at the access gate guard house. I wish they would have allowed me to take pictures of the whole event. Stopping me probably let that Haitian boat that I saw coming ashore. Oh well.

José

Instead of spending billions on dollars on fancy coastal surveillance equipment the government should look into the use of garitas (look outs) that has been proven in the Caribbean for over 400 years.

José

Attachments

• Garita.jpg
    Garita.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 7
Instead of spending billions on dollars on fancy coastal surveillance equipment the government should look into the use of garitas (look outs) that has been proven in the Caribbean for over 400 years.

José

Obviously you are an expert in coastal surveillance and interdiction. Please instruct us. List the effective range of visual surveillance as a function of eye height above horizon, determine the optimum height of a watchtower, then position the proper number of towers along our coast. Then determine the costs of purchasing the land, if possible, obeying all applicable zoning ordinances and setback requirements, cost of construction and maintenance. Then determine the staffing required, the effectiveness of visual surveillance in dark, rain, fog etc. We're all waiting with bated breath.

:popcorn:

Obviously you are an expert in coastal surveillance and interdiction. Please instruct us. List the effective range of visual surveillance as a function of eye height above horizon, determine the optimum height of a watchtower, then position the proper number of towers along our coast. Then determine the costs of purchasing the land, if possible, obeying all applicable zoning ordinances and setback requirements, cost of construction and maintenance. Then determine the staffing required, the effectiveness of visual surveillance in dark, rain, fog etc. We're all waiting with bated breath.

:popcorn:
Somebody's sarcasm meter is INOP....I'm assuming you're gainfully employed by one of these fine federal agencies. For full disclosure I too derive my livelihood out of Uncle Sugar's money, so I'm not one to chuck spears at the next door neighbor without disclosing my laundry. :D

I think the overarching point made was that CBP is another DHS. 'Jousting at windmills', 'self-licking ice cream cone', 'jobs banks', pick your moniker...The mexicans and pretty much everybody else except those employed by said agencies down here in the Mexican border laugh at the cat and mouse game. It stops nothing. But it makes for a pretty steady paycheck which is great for the economy. Is it worth defining an unattainable and mis-defined mission goal in order to justify the expenditure and salaries? Only the taxpayers can say ultimately. Everybody with a lick of common sense recognizes these socioeconomic problems get tackled with economic policy that reaches the vast suburban backyards of the private employers that benefit from immigrant labor. It has nothing to do with how much you spend in ammo and helos for another Deputy Fife agency, cool and self-validating as it may appear to be. But we'll never tackle the "problem" that way because it is politically unpopular. So "support our LE" it is, which is universally politically neutral.

The movie "airplane" some 22 years ago had already made reference to the difference between security and the perception of security in the scene where the old lady gets frisked while the cuban revolutionaries cross the metal detectors with RPGs. These dynamics are not new.

I've been stopped by the CBP at the lake down here, with my military crew cut and pasty skin among a sea of bronze skin down here, and though I appreciate their appearance of thoroughness in their investigation of me and my suspicious "vessel", a jetski LOL, they're ultimately jousting at windmills for a paycheck and we all know it. They can't stop the wave by holding their collective hands out if their lives depended on it. The ultimate collective effect is merely a federal wealth transfer in expenditures and salaries that support businesses to these impoverished local Texan border economies where none would exist otherwise, and placebo aka the perception of security. FWIW Not the only inefficiency in our government spending, to be fair to the CBP proles.

So yeah, garitas would probably be a cheaper alternative to attain the same collective strategic result, IF federal wealth transfers to non-competitive border economies were not the end goal.:rolleyes2:

The only truly effective "border security" on the planet anywhere is when lethal force is authorized and used.

We are never going to do that on the North American continent unless something changes drastically in relationships with Canada or Mexico, so I don't know why folks get riled up about illegal immigration.

If a majority really wanted to truly "fix" whatever perceived problem exists, the politicians would fall over themselves to order a DMZ defined and issuing shoot to kill orders.

The rest is just a waste of time and money.

Somebody's sarcasm meter is INOP....I'm assuming you're gainfully employed by one of these fine federal agencies. For full disclosure I too derive my livelihood out of Uncle Sugar's money, so I'm not one to chuck spears at the next door neighbor without disclosing my laundry. :D

I think the overarching point made was that CBP is another DHS. 'Jousting at windmills', 'self-licking ice cream cone', 'jobs banks', pick your moniker...The mexicans and pretty much everybody else except those employed by said agencies down here in the Mexican border laugh at the cat and mouse game. It stops nothing. But it makes for a pretty steady paycheck which is great for the economy. Is it worth defining an unattainable and mis-defined mission goal in order to justify the expenditure and salaries? Only the taxpayers can say ultimately. Everybody with a lick of common sense recognizes these socioeconomic problems get tackled with economic policy that reaches the vast suburban backyards of the private employers that benefit from immigrant labor. It has nothing to do with how much you spend in ammo and helos for another Deputy Fife agency, cool and self-validating as it may appear to be. But we'll never tackle the "problem" that way because it is politically unpopular. So "support our LE" it is, which is universally politically neutral.

The movie "airplane" some 22 years ago had already made reference to the difference between security and the perception of security in the scene where the old lady gets frisked while the cuban revolutionaries cross the metal detectors with RPGs. These dynamics are not new.

I've been stopped by the CBP at the lake down here, with my military crew cut and pasty skin among a sea of bronze skin down here, and though I appreciate their appearance of thoroughness in their investigation of me and my suspicious "vessel", a jetski LOL, they're ultimately jousting at windmills for a paycheck and we all know it. They can't stop the wave by holding their collective hands out if their lives depended on it. The ultimate collective effect is merely a federal wealth transfer in expenditures and salaries that support businesses to these impoverished local Texan border economies where none would exist otherwise, and placebo aka the perception of security. FWIW Not the only inefficiency in our government spending, to be fair to the CBP proles.

So yeah, garitas would probably be a cheaper alternative to attain the same collective strategic result, IF federal wealth transfers to non-competitive border economies were not the end goal.:rolleyes2:

Then I transfer the challenge to you. Prove the cost effectiveness. I doubt manning thousands of towers is more cost effective that flying surveillance missions and operating a full sensor suite. I'm not saying that we have a perfect system, far from it. But a balance has been struck between economics, effectiveness and civil liberties. But then I'm just a retired O-5 and I may be biased.

The shocker to me is that the Russian engine got them there...

Back