Low comm volume

thebeerdedpilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
thebeerdedpilot
I'm having a bit of an issue with my comm radio. Even with the volume turned all the way up, it's not very easy to hear any comm transmissions. I decided to get a Lightspeed ANR to hopefully be able to hear things a bit clearer, but that still hasn't worked. The intercomm is fine, I can hear transmissions between myself and any passengers. However, any transmissions on the comms are difficult to hear. So difficult, that I definitely won't go to a towered airport because I'm afraid of not being able to hear ATC. Any ideas? The radio is a King KY 97A TSO installed in a 1950 PA-20.

Just a cheap thought:
Reset the radio in its tray or pull and replace connector(s). Do it a number of times. Might be something as minor as contact oxidation.

90% of volume problems can be tracked back to the volume switches on the 1) radio, 2) comm panel or 3) headset.

Have you checked all three?

90% of volume problems can be tracked back to the volume switches on the 1) radio, 2) comm panel or 3) headset.

Have you checked all three?

Headset volume is at 100%, intercom is at 100%, radio volume is at 100%. The intercom is clear as day and loud, the comm volume however is like 50% of the intercom volume even when it's turned up to 100%. It's okay when other's transmissions are loud, but for a lot of the quieter transmissions, it's extremely difficult to hear.

Given that the intercom is good, I would start looking at the audio path between the radio and the com panel. Start with the easy stuff as mentioned above.

Just a cheap thought:
Reset the radio in its tray or pull and replace connector(s). Do it a number of times. Might be something as minor as contact oxidation.

Thank you! I'm going to give this a try.

Did you ever resolve your issue?
No, not yet. I have three sets of "jacks.". Two of them have low volume and the 3rd one is fine. The 3rd one happens to be the "co-pilot" side and I don't think the PTT works on that side. So, I'm working with a local EAA chapter member who is a avionics tech to try and figure out the issue.

Back