Loving my experimental experience so far

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
It'll be a cold day in hell when I buy another certified aircraft.

I wasn't planning on doing any avionics work on my Nanchang for the first year. But that plan has already gone up in smoke.

The AI that came in the plane was an odd one made in Italy and it's not well supported, so that was bugging me. Then on Wednesday I had my transponder test done and during the test my transponder caught on fire. Melted down right quick. Fortunately it was all internal and the plane was fine. But now I had to either replace the decrepit GTX-320, or rewire for another used transponder which my IA has a pile of, or upgrade it, also requiring a rewire.

So all day Wednesday and half of Thursday I went back and forth trying to decide what to do. Decided to go forward instead of staying in Stone Age. Ordered a Sandia Remote Transponder and a GRT Sport EX EFIS to control it with and replace my old AI. Paid an extra $60 to get it over-nighted.

They arrived on Friday, and I removed the entire pilots panel, cut the hole for the EFIS, mounted the EFIS and replaced the other instruments, mounted the new transponder, wired them together, and wired the EFIS to the intercom for audio alerts.

Got it all done and tested by late this afternoon. From "stuff is broke, what the heck am I going to do" to "flying" in 4 days. I'd still be talking to an avionics shop about my options on a certified plane. Actually, I'd probably be still trying to get an avionics shop to answer my call.

The equipment has most everything a Garmin would, and a few things Garmin doesn't. And no way I could have gotten it all working so quickly.

IMG_2287.jpeg

That's Experimental-Exhibition I presume?

You’ll love the grt stuff. Super reliable and user friendly. I have two sport ex’s in my RV and they work epically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was thinking about saying, "Welcome to the dark side"... but there's these shining rays of light that just keep getting in the way!

There’s a huge gulf between a Nanchang and an Italian Light Sport, but I agree.

Converting my Sky Arrow to E-LSA in 2009 was incredibly liberating, almost like having handcuffs removed. Best decision I ever made.

7425317570_5d20e2f9df_z.jpg

And while sometimes tedious, doing my own Annual Condition Inspections over last 13 years or so not only has saved a ton of money, but keeps me familiar with the workings of the plane. And based on the two I had done prior to converting, I think I pay more attention to detail than the shop I used then. I’m just about wrapping up one now, and since it’s a snow day here in E TN, just a few more hours and I’ll be ready to start buttoning her back up. Highly recommended for any S-LSA owner, if you can live with the minor restrictions - and it would be great if a similar conversion was available for simple “certified” aircraft.

There’s a huge gulf between a Nanchang and an Italian Light Sport
True. Owning a Nanchang is definitely not for the casual pilot. The amount of time I've spent understanding the systems in this plane is staggering.

You should update the thread title to "Loving my Exhibitionist Experience So Far." :cornut: How does the plane actually fly?
It is very fun to fly. Very responsive and great visibility.

I'm planning on exhibiting it on the warbird ramp at Sun-n-Fun and also at the MacDill Airshow (Tampa Bay AirFest).

Here's a simple video from inside the cockpit. Every flight I love this plane more. Still learning how to use the new GRT. And I still think the throttle is to the left of the prop control, so I grab the wrong one every time.

Last edited:
The brakes are air also. Starter, flaps, gear, and brakes all pneumatic.
I went to an Oshkosh presentation that talked about this. But I don’t remember the punchline. Do you have to air it up before starting, especially after it sits a while or when you need to try longer to get it started like in cold weather? I suppose it’s probably easy to preflight for air leaks: it won’t start if it won’t hold air. :)

I went to an Oshkosh presentation that talked about this. But I don’t remember the punchline. Do you have to air it up before starting, especially after it sits a while or when you need to try longer to get it started like in cold weather? I suppose it’s probably easy to just preflight for air leaks: it won’t start if it won’t hold air. :)
You shut off the main tank when parked, so you have plenty of air for next flight. It’s important to keep leaks out of the shutoff valve and tank drain plug. I had to replace the stock Chinese shutoff valve due to a slow leak. And yes, verifying sufficient air pressure is on the preflight and immediately before takeoff checklists.

There is also an emergency tank, but that is only to lock the gear back down and provide braking, it won’t work to start the engine.

My aircraft also has a backup scuba tank that serves as additional backup in case of leaks while parked.

Last edited:
You shut off the main tank when parked, so you have plenty of air for next flight..
Is there a drier somewhere in the system? Or, the underlying question is about moisture management in the air system.

Is there a drier somewhere in the system? Or, the underlying question is about moisture management in the air system.
Yes, there is a desiccant filter.

Flew a de Havilland Heron a little bit. It was all pneumatic too. Including the nose wheel steering. Had an air pump on two of the engines and alternators on the other two. By the time you taxied out, run up, and takeoff, it could be 10-15 minutes after liftoff before the gear locked fully up. Had to start with a full tank of air, or you might run out before you could get lined up.

Glad the starters were electric.

Back