Love Those 30-foot Planes

WakeNCAgent

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Louis
I found this news article from Miami and just couldn't help but laugh at the nautical reference. The reporter must have been pulled from the marina beat. I know it's common to refer to boats this way, but planes?

MIAMI (CBSMiami) — A small plane caught fire on Thursday at Kendall Tamiami Executive Airport. Miami-Dade Fire crews responded to reports of a 20 to 30 foot plane on fire at the aviation school. Crews were able to put out the blaze. No injuries were reported. The cause of the fire has not been released.

It makes sense to describe a plane by its length. Or maybe by its wingsoan. I wonder why that never caught on.

It makes sense to describe a plane by its length. Or maybe by its wingsoan. I wonder why that never caught on.

You'd really need two numbers for that, as the plane can be wider than it is long or longer than it is wide.

Because they would multiply the two numbers and figure out a way to charge us for the result.

It isn't a bad description. Written for nonpilots, telling them it was 20-30' plane and they know about what it is. No one cares if it was a C-172 or a PA-28, well except for aviation dorks.

It isn't a bad description. Written for nonpilots, telling them it was 20-30' plane and they know about what it is. No one cares if it was a C-172 or a PA-28, well except for aviation dorks.

No one cares if it was a 20-30 foot plane either.

At least aviation guys would be interested.

But journalist have to fill some space and at least show the boss they are ready to get the "scoop"!!!:yes:

Not the worst description I have read, but on the other hand google is a marvelous thing.

No one cares if it was a 20-30 foot plane either.

At least aviation guys would be interested.

But journalist have to fill some space and at least show the boss they are ready to get the "scoop"!!!:yes:

Sure they do. It is enough info so they know it was a little plane and not the ones they fly on. Successful communication occurred.

"Small four seater airplane" would have been far more descriptive. Everyone knows it's one of those little airplanes that is about the size of a car.

Back