Love David Clark?

bigblockz8

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gore
My friend is a glider student (so no need for a headset in the first place!) and insists that David Clark is crappy. I have a H10-30, not the best DC there is but it's nice,sturdy,and I love it. I also have a generic back up unit too. He has a generic Pilot USA type that in my opinion is crappy. He tried it on in a car and said his is better. In my opinion David Clarks are the most iconic headset ever. Every movie,TV show,picture, or anything aviation related that has a headset, it's 9 times/10 a DC.

My point is that there is a reason that DC is widely used and recognized. Insulting it is like saying "Oh the P-51D,DC-3, C150/152/172,J-2/J-3 and B747 are all junk aircraft. My DA-20 is better any day." (My point is about these airplanes history,legacies, and quality) If you watch flying TV shows such as Flying Wild Alaska,Ice Pilots NWT, The Aviators, etc they all have a DC or have saved up and have a Zulu or Bose. David Clark to me is a headset that represents value. I invested in a low end DC because I know it'll last me through my student-grey haired captain days. I know of pilots who have beat up DC's that have been run over,dropped, soaked, you name it, and they still work!

Anybody else have David Clark love?

Nothing like a pair of Davie Clarks! Here are some screenshots I took from 2 tv episodes and a movie with 1 aviation scene. Next time you read an aviation mag, look @ the pics ;)

389237_317497541597458_100000116446482_1473533_1362379589_n.jpg

300891_317497591597453_100000116446482_1473535_1192704835_n.jpg

I am a David Clark fan and love them.

I have two H10-13XLs and love them. I have owned Pilot, lots of Lightspeed and military issue headset models. I keep going back to the DC. They are rugged, work all the time, never seem to break and fit me well. I like the comfort of the newer ear seals and head pad over the older versions a lot. But get what works for you.

The only bad thing I can really say about any of the headsets is that the Lightspeed ones have poor quality. They have great customer service. So WHEN you headset breaks they will fix it for you. But I prefer something that doesn't break, like the David Clarks.

There are a lot of words for David Clark. Crappy is not one of them. Expensive is. They tend to be behind the times a bit on technology like ANR.

Considering that DC has been providing headsets since long before Yeager and Hoover flew down to make a factory visit, they have a bit of an established reputation for quality,

Your buddy is nuts.

Last edited:
All my DC headsets have long since been consigned to a dusty box in the barn...
LOVE MY LIGHTSPEEDS

denny-o

My friend is a glider student (so no need for a headset in the first place!) and insists that David Clark is crappy. I have a H10-30, not the best DC there is but it's nice,sturdy,and I love it. I also have a generic back up unit too. He has a generic Pilot USA type that in my opinion is crappy. He tried it on in a car and said his is better. In my opinion David Clarks are the most iconic headset ever. Every movie,TV show,picture, or anything aviation related that has a headset, it's 9 times/10 a DC.

My point is that there is a reason that DC is widely used and recognized. Insulting it is like saying "Oh the P-51D,DC-3, C150/152/172,J-2/J-3 and B747 are all junk aircraft. My DA-20 is better any day." (My point is about these airplanes history,legacies, and quality) If you watch flying TV shows such as Flying Wild Alaska,Ice Pilots NWT, The Aviators, etc they all have a DC or have saved up and have a Zulu or Bose. David Clark to me is a headset that represents value. I invested in a low end DC because I know it'll last me through my student-grey haired captain days. I know of pilots who have beat up DC's that have been run over,dropped, soaked, you name it, and they still work!

Anybody else have David Clark love?

I had a microphone fail on a DC headset that was five years out of warranty. I shipped it off to them with a letter asking for an estimate of the repair cost before they took any action. They didn't respond to the letter, I got the headset back about a week later. They had replaced the microphone as well as the ear pads (which I hadn't mentioned and didn't think needed replacement) and shipped it back to me, no charge.

If I ever have to buy another headset it will be a David Clark

hey are rugged, work all the time, never seem to break and fit me well. I like the comfort of the newer ear seals and head pad over the older versions a lot. But get what works for you.

Exactly.

I'm about to invest in the Headset ANR upgrade for my 11-year-old DC 10-13.4 that's been with me since hour 3.0.

ANRModKit500.gif

I've tried the DC X11 and just can't get them to fit me correctly...

:confused:

I'm about to invest in the Headset ANR upgrade for my 11-year-old DC 10-13.4 that's been with me since hour 3.0.

Be interested in hearing how you like that kit. There's a few out there... and I've been thinking about doing that.

Be interested in hearing how you like that kit. There's a few out there... and I've been thinking about doing that.

Same here - post the results (maybe even a picture or two of the installation and any holes that needed to be drilled.)

Same here - post the results (maybe even a picture or two of the installation and any holes that needed to be drilled.)

A full write-up is forthcoming! Stay tuned...

I own quite a few different manufacture headsets and find the DC's to be the most comfortable, reliable, and durable. I should look into doing the ANR mod.

I had a microphone fail on a DC headset that was five years out of warranty. I shipped it off to them with a letter asking for an estimate of the repair cost before they took any action. They didn't respond to the letter, I got the headset back about a week later. They had replaced the microphone as well as the ear pads (which I hadn't mentioned and didn't think needed replacement) and shipped it back to me, no charge.

If I ever have to buy another headset it will be a David Clark

That's awesome! I bought mine about 2yrs ago. They're used but like new, the previous owner used em for 10hrs before he had to put up his wings thanks to medical reasons. They're a bit old (8yrs I think) but still great! That's great customer service, some people will make the product wrong and then want to charge you to fix it. They took the issue into their hands, all the more reason to stay loyal :)

All my DC headsets have long since been consigned to a dusty box in the barn...
LOVE MY LIGHTSPEEDS

Someone said "eBay", but I say...

Sell 'em here... cheap... to the folks who want to experiment with the add on ANR kits.

:)

I have repaired numerous headsets, mostly due to failed cables or microphones. The DCs give very little trouble because they use good quality cable and plugs and strain reliefs; the others (don't know about Bose; never fixed one) use cheaper stuff that fails easily. Cable isn't just cable; there are many differences in quality between DC and the others. Cables will tend to fail internally at the plug or earcup where they get bent the most, and DCs will put up with more abuse. The pilot doesn't help matters by wrapping the cord tightly around the headset. Don't do that. Coil it loosely, don't wrap it. The mic preamps in cheap headsets will fail, too. Plastic headbands get brittle in the cold and snap. The Lightspeed might be comfortable but we've had a string of them fail here.

I installed the Headsets, Inc. ANR kit in my Softcomm. Should have spent the money on a DC instead. The ANR works well and isn't terribly expensive. I dumped the battery box (big box with a small 9-volt battery in it) and installed a battery clip on the headband to reduce the amount of cables everywhere. Put a small switch in on earcup to switch it on and off.

That Softcomm was miswired right from the factory and the first thing I had to do when I got it was fix it. Typical.

Dan

I'll only say that while I have friends with DCs and they have an excellent reputation for quality (that I won't argue with), they don't fit my head worth a darn. I've got 3 pairs of AVCOMM (two ~$70 cheapies and one stereo nicer one) and they've been fine for me. I, too, will wait for the writeup on the ANR kit. I've been curious for a while.

I'm not a DC fan, but I'm not a detractor either. They just don't fit ME.

John

My first headset was a DC, was great until the mic went out less than a year after purchase.

Picked up a bose and never looked back.

I don't know if I consider DCs "iconic". I am cynical of marketing speak, and it's quite clear that the company is trying to justify their products being twice as expensive as made-in-China Flightcoms.

Another thing, the only time in my short flying career I had a headset fail on me in flight, it was a DC set. Anything can break and in fact everything will. We're just placing bets here.

That said, when I bought a set, I got a DC H10.13S. During training I had an "opportunity" to evaluate how various sets stand up to abuse, since I delayed the purchase almost to the time checkride (and then bought them a week before just to show that I'm not afraid to jinx). DCs were the most resilient. I expect them to live twice as long as the twice cheaper sets last. Also, DCs were more comfortable, which is personal, of course.

-- Pete

My wife thinks it's male pattern baldness...I tell her it's an erosion strip from wearing a David Clamp headset for 15,000hrs. I had an old H10-30 on which I glued some velcro on the bottom of the head pad, and a fabric helmet I wore while instructing in biplanes with velcro sewn on the top. Could due outside snap-rolls and that headset stayed put. DC headsets work good and last a long time. Good American made product.

I don't know if I consider DCs "iconic". I am cynical of marketing speak, and it's quite clear that the company is trying to justify their products being twice as expensive as made-in-China Flightcoms.

While not going to try to send this to SZ... keeping the money here and someone at the DC factory in a job, is all the justification necessary.

I have 2 10-13.4 head sets. I went through about 4 different $100-$150 headseats that only lasted about 1-2 years each before I bought my 1st 10-13.4. I still use it as my student headseat.

A couple years later I bought another one and am still using it 12 years and 3000hrs later. Never had a problem with them, other than occasionally replacing ear seals. One of the mike connector tips has been bent slightly from abuse over the past 14 years but still works although I have to occasionally turn the plug in some airplanes for it to make contact. Slightly Annoying but not enough so for me to take the 3 minutes it would take to try and straighten it. And the Head pads desperately need replaced as they are just barely hanging on.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

He tried it on in a car and said his is better.
Head shapes are different. If he does not like the fit on his head, that's his decision and what do you care?

In my opinion David Clarks are the most iconic headset ever.

I'm not with you on this one. I wear a headset, not an icon. But yes, my headset is a David Clark. This really is an issue of personal comfort.

-Skip

I have repaired numerous headsets, mostly due to failed cables or microphones. The DCs give very little trouble because they use good quality cable and plugs and strain reliefs; the others (don't know about Bose; never fixed one) use cheaper stuff that fails easily. Cable isn't just cable; there are many differences in quality between DC and the others. Cables will tend to fail internally at the plug or earcup where they get bent the most, and DCs will put up with more abuse. The pilot doesn't help matters by wrapping the cord tightly around the headset. Don't do that. Coil it loosely, don't wrap it. The mic preamps in cheap headsets will fail, too. Plastic headbands get brittle in the cold and snap. The Lightspeed might be comfortable but we've had a string of them fail here.

I installed the Headsets, Inc. ANR kit in my Softcomm. Should have spent the money on a DC instead. The ANR works well and isn't terribly expensive. I dumped the battery box (big box with a small 9-volt battery in it) and installed a battery clip on the headband to reduce the amount of cables everywhere. Put a small switch in on earcup to switch it on and off.

That Softcomm was miswired right from the factory and the first thing I had to do when I got it was fix it. Typical.

Dan

I've got two Softcomm C-90 headsets. One I've been using for 11 years and the other 10. They are comfortable and work well. That said, mine has been back for overhaul once as the microphone got spotty in operation. They fixed it and replaced the battery box with a new style, with a new connector. Now I can't swap battery boxes between the two headsets. And, the new battery box failed. Softcomm replaced that. The new box has a switch, which is nice. However, when they did the conversion they shortened the cable on the headset. Too short to allow the box to be suffed in the side pocket of the plane. Now I have to stuff it in my shirt pocket. Not nearly as convenient.

I've got a pair of H10-13.4's and an H-10-30. I bought them all from an old guy who lost his medical when I was a 20hr student pilot. So I have about 130 hours wearing my H10-13.4 and the rest I use for passengers. Before I bought my own headset, I used the FBO's Telex Echelon 20s, which I felt were pretty good although I liked the '13.4 better.

My '13.4 has been Oregon Aero upgraded with earcup insulation and the bigger earseals. I honestly feel like it was a waste of money as I noticed no difference in noise attenuation. I usually also double up with Hearos Extreme foam earplugs, which makes a big difference.

The H-10-30 is noticeably heavier and bulkier than the '13.4.

I've also flown with 1st gen Bose and Lightspeed ANR headsets... The noise attenuation with ANR is definitely better. I did not like the early Bose models I flew with because the noise attenuation with ANR off was almost zero.

I feel like DC's ANR headsets are a little behind the times, technology wise. I feel the same way about drop-in ANR kits. I keep telling myself I'll buy an ANR headset eventually. Either that or a Clarity Aloft headset. I've never flown with Clarity Aloft but I tried it out at Oshkosh--it didn't feel that different than what I am used too (earplugs stuck in my ears) but it was alot lighter.

I have the Headsets, Inc. ANR kit in an old pair of DCs, and could not be more pleased - the ANR is outstanding, and interestingly enough, while I used to think of the DCs as head vises, the mere addition of the ANR function makes them seem more comfortable.

I am now upgrading my son's headset to ANR same way.

Suggestion:

Pay the little extra to get the one-piece cable.

I have a relatively basic set of DC. I'd had them about four years when they garbaged out on me, wouldn't work at all. I went over to Marve Golden Pilot Supplies next door to KMYF and told them I needed a new pair. They sent my old set to DC. DC fixed them, shipped them back, my cost, nothing, not a dime. They've worked great ever since.

When I bought my plane there was a headset in it, I can't recall the brand, but it was not DC. They were broken, so I called the company. They told me they were discontinued and to just throw them away, which I did.

There is a lot to be said about the stability and dependability of David Clark as a company. Even more to be said about them fixing an old headset for free. I didn't have a receipt, a purchase date, not a thing. David Clark just flat out stands behind their product, they do not look for ways of not doing it, they simply fix it. I didn't even purchase my set from Marve Golden, and they knew that. Marve still packaged them up and shipped them for me.

John

My old DC's were awesome.

My X11 has been in for repairs 3 times.

I'm thinking of upgrading the Brides headset to a Zulu. She loved her DC H10.13S set then I "upgraded" her to the X11's. The no head clamping is great but she has trouble hearing ATC and music, they seem to work fine for me. I'm either going back to the old DC's or the new LightSpeed 4000 Sierra ANR for her headset.

The microphone stopped working on my friend's DC headset and they charged him $85. YMMV I guess. :confused:

For sub-$300 headsets, I like DC (H10-13.4), Sigtronics (S58/S68), and if you're on a budget then Flightcom. I don't recall FC being made in China, the plastic model might be but I don't think the conventional ones are.

I have a 20 year old set of DCs that work fine. We used to buy headsets and fly with them indefinately, now pilots upgrade headsets more often than cell phones.:dunno:

I'm using my dad's david clark that he bought around 1993. Put new ear seals on it. Works great.

H10-13.4 over 1000 hours and 18 years on my headset

Last edited:
I fly with my lightspeeds, but I keep and will continue to keep my first H10-13.4 headset from DC. It's built like a tank, comfortable, and does a good job. Plus it's TSOed so if I'm ever flying in a situation where a TSOed headset is required, it's the unit.

If someone told me, you can only buy one headset, and you have to use it forever and you can't buy an upgrade - it would be a DC. I bought the lightspeeds because I could afford them and I wanted the ANR and other features.

Keep in mind that the high quality and generally good customer service we get from the non-DC brands are directly attributable to how high a bar DC set for their own products and business. While my daily driver is a LS 30-3G, my trusty 18-year old DC 13.4s go with me wherever I go, and still get used with some regularity.

Jeff

Used to love DC's. Still like them, but ever since I went with a QT Halo, the DC's are the benchwarmers.

Back