Lousy Korean Weather

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
October in Korea is one of the prettiest times. here in Seould the trees are changing colors, the mountains and hills in the are are beautiful. I have what should be a great view but for the second day in a row my view is shown below. Maybe I can shoot some approaches, sigh!

Last edited:
So I guess you don't want to hear about the beautiful clear blue skies and fall foliage out here in the east over the weekend? ;)

smigaldi said:
October in Korea is one of the prettiest times. here in Seould the trees are changing colors, the mountains and hills in the are are beautiful. I have what should be a great view but for the second day in a row my view is shown below. Maybe I can shoot some approaches, sigh!
I was working on a ship off Pusan in Feburary of '03. Now that is lousy Korean weather.

Scott,
There was a news story about South Korea conducting air raid drills into bomb shelters. Have you seen any?:(
ApacheBob

ApacheBob said:
Scott,
There was a news story about South Korea conducting air raid drills into bomb shelters. Have you seen any?:(
ApacheBob

Sure did. On Monday at 2pm local the sirens went off announcing the 'raid' we were to remain in our meeting room and cars pulled over on the side of the roads. It is an annual event so most of the Koreans really just were complaining about the inconvenience of it all. The Americas mostly had talks of gallows humor subjects related to the recent N. Korean escapades.

Since Monday it has been pretty quiet drill wise. Most of the major exercises are happening away from Seoul.

The WX still stinks but I am coming home day early due to family issues. So I head to the airport in a few hours for my flight to Tokyo and then home. I just hope on the trip home they do not put another sicky in the seat next to me. But that is another story and if I see you Wednesday night I'll tell you about it. Ah the joys of business travel.

Ghery said:
Are there any? I'm still looking.:(

Only one that comes to mind is that I get to stand in the short line for security. That benefit would not matter if I was not travelling. :(

But think of the good things, getting up at 4am for 7am flights, room service, airline hospitality, uncomfortable beds, strange new cities where you get to eat the same food as everywhere else, being able to know what time it is home from every other time zone in the world, knowing all the IDD codes no matter where you are, the comfort of knowing that at sometime you will be at home in Narita airport, etc.

smigaldi said:
But think of the good things, getting up at 4am for 7am flights

Or 4:30 for a 7 AM breakfast, one and the same...

, room service,

I almost never do room service. I'd go stir crazy sitting in the room. Have to get out and see/do new things. Room service is only when I fall ill, or I'm just plain too late to get food elsewhere (like a midnight arrival)

airline hospitality,

"Whadda you want? Service or cheap prices" - TWA flight attendant when a trim strip fell off on a transatlantic B-767 takeoff clonking a fellow passenger on the head. Good riddance.

uncomfortable beds,

Westin and Marriott have very nice beds now. Very, very comfortable. OTOH, if you're still stuck in fleabag hotels due to corporate policy, it can be a problem.

Speaking of beds, you forgot bedbugs. http://www.usatoday.com/travel/hotels/2006-03-08-bedbugs-catskills_x.htm

strange new cities where you get to eat the same food as everywhere else,

Simple solution: go out to eat. Find a local restaurant. There is a reason hotel concierges exist. I always ask the concierge for restaurants that are off the beaten path, places where locals go. I have been rewarded by doing so. There was a place in Barcelona where the owner spoke no english (his daughter did), and to show his hospitality, he served what the daughter described as "homemade" hooch after the meal. It was very good, and I think a second glass would have knocked me on my ***.

being able to know what time it is home from every other time zone in the world,

I keep a clock, and usually the laptop, set to home time. Had a dual-time watch for a while. Worked well.

knowing all the IDD codes no matter where you are,

and in the old days, before hotel broadband, knowing the Compuserve access numbers and procedures for each country.

the comfort of knowing that at sometime you will be at home in Narita airport, etc.

I believed you overlooked the hug and smiles from the flight attendant when you board the plane, because she recognizes you from the last 10 flights together. (that does have it's benefits, I used to be offered a jar of caviar or a bottle of wine or champagne when leaving the plane, especially international. Unfortunately, airlines put a stop to the practice :( ...)

Back