Louisiana Sales and Use Tax

mulligan

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mulligan
Are there and owners from Louisiana here that can shed some light on Sales and Use Tax in Louisiana? I just got this figured out in Alabama and now I am relocating to Louisiana and will need to start budgeting it looks like for a much higher tax consequence. The new bird will be picked up in Tennessee which is a fly away state so I assume that will need to pay Louisiana some tax figure on the difference in trade plus some annual use tax amount?

If I remember from my sales tax days doing business, Louisiana is very tricky. The state and each parish all take a piece and I think you have to file separately. I don't have any particular advice though. Good luck.

Baton Rouge. Will have offices in Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Lake Charles, and Lafayette

When I used to layover in Lafayette the Blue Dog Café was pretty good groceries Mulligan. A lot of eye candy in there too! And, yes, boobs.

When I used to layover in Lafayette the Blue Dog Café was pretty good groceries Mulligan. A lot of eye candy in there too! And, yes, boobs.

I think I will just call everyone there Jessica. Can't wait to meet Jessica

I believe you'll just have to file with state and the parish if I remember correctly, but it's been a decade since I was filing the monthly use taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Op, if you can get in Touch with Daryl Christensen, he is an attorney in Houma and an avid Aviator and has an FBO at KHUM, if I am not mistaken. He will no doubt be able to help you with this.

Op, if you can get in Touch with Daryl Christensen, he is an attorney in Houma and an avid Aviator and has an FBO at KHUM, if I am not mistaken. He will no doubt be able to help you with this.

Thanks for the heads up. I found a few guys who actually recently purchased new and are in the same plane and location as I am. They put me in touch with their accountant who I am waiting a call back from. They all use the same person and so they say it is not getting to be copy, cut, paste for them!!

Once I have all the details, I will post them here so others can benefit from the same lessons learned.

iu

Thanks for the heads up. I found a few guys who actually recently purchased new and are in the same plane and location as I am. They put me in touch with their accountant who I am waiting a call back from. They all use the same person and so they say it is not getting to be copy, cut, paste for them!!

Once I have all the details, I will post them here so others can benefit from the same lessons learned.

posting that info would be great....hopefully I can buy a plane in the near future and will need this info also.

Simple. Just register it under some LLC in Delaware. ;)

If you're referring to aviation there is no yearly tax or even a sales tax as long as you buy from another private party. I've bought two planes in the past 5 years or so and I just had to indicate that it was a private party sale and that was it. This exemption might only be for older aircraft (like mine) though, so I'm not sure what's involved for newer aircraft.

http://brgov.com/dept/finance/rulesregs26thru50.htm#Rule45

"Aircraft, including but not limited to airplanes, helicopters, aircraft kits, ultra lights, etc., are tangible personal property, the sale, lease or repair of which is subject to tax with the following exceptions:

A. Antique airplanes are not subject to tax. The antique airplane must be maintained by a private collector and not used for commercial purposes. The term "antique airplane" is defined by Louisiana Revised Statute 47:6001 for purposes of the exemption as an airplane manufactured at least 25 years ago."

Last edited:
Going to add my .02 to this. I bought an airplane while I lived in AR, by a Delaware corporation, have hanger there but I also ended up leaving airplane in VA, for week or two at a time. VA just sent me notice that I needed to pay use tax on it.....will work on my BS answer and keep everybody updated. Letter said more than 60 days in VA, well my though is what happens when I go to theoretically 6 other states, do I need to pay use tax in all of them as well? Again just got letter yesterday.

Back