Lou Reed Dead at 71

Love me some Velvet Underground... Sad to hear, heaven's got a hell of band.

Someone actually gets their news from Al JaQaida?

I refuse to click thru, RIP to Reed though.

You can't bring yourself to click on a link about something as controversial as.... A 71 year old rock musician dying?

Oh lord. Lou Reed's obituary is going to the Spin Zone based on the URL of the article.... :mad2:

Pretty sad, huh?

-Rich

Why are you quoting Al Jazeria? :dunno:

It happened to be the first one of the news sites that I read to report his death.

As for AJ America itself, it's one of the most objective, non-politicized sources for U.S. and world news that I know of. The depth and quality of the reporting are also excellent.

AJ's objectivity kind of surprised me, considering that it's owned by the government of Qatar. But they've established a reputation for quality, accuracy, and integrity, and I guess they want to keep it.

-Rich

Last edited:
Guy must've been pretty sick, you don't get a liver transplant for the common cold. Evel Knievel got one because he burned out his liver on painkillers after all the crashes. Reed must've done even more drugs than I imagined, and I imagined a lot.

Even if you've never heard the song, "Magic and Loss", from the album by the same name...

When you pass through the fire
you pass through humble
You pass through a maze of self doubt
When you pass through humble
the lights can blind you
Some people never figure that out
You pass through arrogance you pass through hurt
You pass through an ever present past
and it's best not to wait for luck to save you
Pass through the fire to the light
As you pass through the fire
your right hand waving
there are things you have to throw out
That caustic dread inside your head
will never help you out
You have to be very strong
'cause you'll start from zero
over and over again
And as the smoke clears
there's an all consuming fire
lying straight ahead
They say no one person can do it all
but you want to in your head
But you can't be Joyce
so what is left instead
You're stuck with yourself
and a rage that can hurt you
You have to start at the beginning again
And just this moment
This wonderful fire started up again
When you pass through humble
when you pass through sickly
When you pass through
I'm better than you all
When you pass through
anger and self deprecation
and have the strength to acknowledge it all
When the past makes you laugh
and you can savor the magic
that let you survive your own war
You find that that fire is passion
and there's a door up ahead not a wall
As you pass through fire as you pass through fire
trying to remember its name
When you pass through fire licking at your lips
you cannot remain the same
And if the building' burning
move towards that door
but don't put the flames out
There's a bit of magic in everything
and then some loss to even things out

"One chord is fine. Two chords is pushing it. Three chords and you're into jazz." -Lou Reed. R.I.P.

You can't bring yourself to click on a link about something as controversial as.... A 71 year old rock musician dying?

Oh lord. Lou Reed's obituary is going to the Spin Zone based on the URL of the article.... :mad2:

Easier to just Google another source if you're not wanting to pay their click-through bills. They do get real cash money for the clicks, however small they are.

Same reason I won't click on anything from ANN... giving that idiot one penny isn't on my high priority list.

P.S. RIP Mr. Reed. Another musician down... and room for one more auto-tuned over-processed Pop "artist"...

I know you have a stash of Bieber and GaGa somewhere. Probably Miley too.

Which reminds me, I saw this in the paper this weekend.

2013-10-27-b8f3757d.png

Haha... nice.

No secret stashes of lame music here... but Karen and I were mildly annoyed that our favorite radio station is slowly becoming the "oldies" station here in town when we noticed it driving around last weekend. 70's rock on the "oldies" station... such a bummer.

70s? That was the oldies station 2 decades ago. I heard some Guns 'N Roses on the oldies station just this week.

Stop it, stop it, stop it, stop it! LOL... Damn.

I make comments now when listening to the stereo, "Hey honey, check it out... bands that played real instruments!"

ROFL... ahhh, it sucks getting old. Or maybe it doesn't. The current generation will never have any musical taste, since they're just listening to the computers my generation created... heh heh...

Auto-tune was maybe cool, once... back when Cher used it... on one song. LOL.

I do like it when people make fun of "classic" rappers though... this video makes me chuckle...

(Warning: Language... for those who are um, shocked that rappers cuss... hah...)

The dude actually does a pretty good job on the fast rap, but he's a jerk in real life, as best as I can tell from doing a little research.

Just some parody rap to laugh at... can't really let it get any deeper than that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teaft0Kg-Ok

This guy from France, he's pretty talented... his little "history of hip hop" is pretty amazing... and no NSFW language warning for this one, if that makes someone squeamish... oops there are a couple of "naughty" words near the end... sorry if that makes someone grumpy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0_2vmkTmf0

I love finding this stuff. This guy uses some looping tech along with a little digital reverb toward the end of this presentation, but does a really cool job of it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNZBSZD16cY

Back