Lotus Notes vs Outlook

Earthroamer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Earthroamer
Is there a way to move your contacts from Outlook to Lotus Notes? Does it allow for popping email into it like Outlook? It's been way too long since I have even heard of people using it. However company is persuing it.

There are ways (we are preparing for a Notes -> Outlook migration), but it isn't straightforward. You'll need some outside consulting help.

How big a company do you work for? I can suggest some help... Bill Greenberg, an old AOPA board member, does this for a living FWIW.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Is there a way to move your contacts from Outlook to Lotus Notes? Does it allow for popping email into it like Outlook? It's been way too long since I have even heard of people using it. However company is persuing it.

You can copy and paste one contact at a time.

Otherwise, you've just learned why Bill put "My Computer" right there on your desktop.

rockwell uses lotus notes. i dont like it

Got a pocket PC?

get pylon pro, sync lotus to the PDA then sync with outlook

or the other way as well.

BTDT

Or a BlackBerry. Then you can download your contact list into Notes.

I had a colleague that had this same need at my last job. Save the list as a vCard file and import the file into Lotus notes.

I had a colleague that had this same need at my last job. Save the list as a vCard file and import the file into Lotus notes.

You can't save a list. You can save a contact at a time. See above.

You might also try synching with Yahoo contacts on each system.

The best way =may= be to go through an intermediate program.

You can easily dump your Outlook Contacts file to an Excel Spreadsheet. I have no knowledge of Notes so I cannot advise if it will be able to import the Excel file (or any other format, for that matter).

-Skip

You can't save a list. You can save a contact at a time. See above.

You're partially right- I remember now that we had a tab separated text that was saved from Outlook.

The best way =may= be to go through an intermediate program.

You can easily dump your Outlook Contacts file to an Excel Spreadsheet. I have no knowledge of Notes so I cannot advise if it will be able to import the Excel file (or any other format, for that matter).

-Skip

And that's kinda how we brought it into Lotus. Imported the text list into Excel, and ran a macro that saved the list as a file that was a series of vCards. The vCard format is text only, so it was easy to write the macro. Lotus just sucked it right in.

I looked for the macro- I must have left it at Wheaton since I don't have it anymore. Since then, I save all macros since it seems the same needs come up again.

Thank you for the posts. I am currently in recurrent training, so it will be a bit before I can mess with it. I do appreciate the help, however. It gives me ideas on how to hack it out. Thanks again.

Back