Lost Trust in Foreflight

Is that true?

Don't they have different GPS receivers ?

The OP's iPad was attempting to connect with an external DUAL X150 GPS via Bluetooth. The OP's iPhone GPS is built-in. So the drivers and hardware would indeed be different. The CPU and GPU may or may not also be different, depending on what models he was using. Ditto for the OS. The underlying core OS source code can trace its lineage back several decades, so it should be more vetted than, say, some embedded OSes of younger vintage.

And there aint no warm fuzzles, either. Software works or it doesn't. Nothing in between.

By that metric, no software beyond Hello World works, ever.

No software is bug free, and there very definitely is marginally useful software out there.

The real world is full of compromises. And things that work in one domain don't work in another. The map projection error in Google Maps wasn't noticed by most casual users before it was fixed (YEARS later), but the same error in an air navigation or satellite guidance system would have been very serious.

Is that true?

Don't they have different GPS receivers ?

OK, quick course on Apple electronics. There are two primary chips inside [iPad, iPhone] the 'chipset' and the 'baseband device'. The chipset includes CPU and the designations Apple uses are A5, A6, A7, each with more power, memory, whatever.

The baseband device is another chip that manages wireless communication between smartphones and cell service providers, anything that needs an antenna, altho wi-fi belongs to the chipset. This is why the iPod touch has wi-fi and nothing else - no baseband.

The iPhones & iPads use the same chipset for whatever generation of device is being marketed. Back in the iPhone 4 days, the baseband was BCM4750 which is a single chip GPS receiver, then they moved to the Qualcomm MDM6610 which has an integrated GPS and lots of other goodies. Again, these are used in both the iPhone and iPad, depending on the generation.

If you have an iPhone of one generation (e.g. iPhone 4) and a new iPad, they won't have the same chipset and probably won't have the same baseband altho the same functionality will be there.

If you look at the latest tech specs on Apple's website the new iPad uses the A7 chip with 64-bit architecture and M7 motion coprocessor and the Qualcomm MDM9615M that includes GPS. The iPhone 5s uses the same A7 & M7 chips and the MDM9615M.

I haven't looked at the iPhone6 stuff other than it's using the A8/M8 chipset.

So yes, it's the same stuff inside the two Apple devices as long as you have same/similar generation devices.

The Dual is using the Skytraq technology which is the Venus816 single chip, dedicated GPS baseband.

Last edited:
By that metric, no software beyond Hello World works, ever.

No software is bug free, and there very definitely is marginally useful software out there.

The real world is full of compromises. And things that work in one domain don't work in another. The map projection error in Google Maps wasn't noticed by most casual users before it was fixed (YEARS later), but the same error in an air navigation or satellite guidance system would have been very serious.

Here's some bug free code

10 START
20 PRINT "My name is Jaybird",
30 GOTO 20
40 END
:D

One thing I learned as an educator, still going strong after 46 years with no thought of retirement just yet, is that students will mimic their teachers' actions, even the wrong parts. In particular, I think I've had some of your students in my college classroom and had to reteach them proper spelling, punctuation, and grammar.

Thank God I learned to teach in the '60s. I'd hate to think I had to relearn it all over again in the '70s.

Jim

I think the OP is trying to impress us with his e e cummings persona.

Here's some bug free code

10 START
20 PRINT "My name is Jaybird",
30 GOTO 20
40 END
:D

What's the spec this is known to meet?

If that code is supposed to calculate flight plans, it has a really big bug.

That ":D" isn't accepted by any BASIC interpreter I've dealt with. Neither is the "START" line.

Last edited:
Wow, over a couple of non-capitalized words.

So when I teach electronics or robotics it makes no difference whether the student uses mA (milliamperes) or MA (megamperes)? In the first case parts come in pill bottles. In the second case they come in boxcars.

So correct usage of English is of no matter to you? Wow. I must be living in a dream world.

Jim

Paper sectional, low, high, and approach plates. Takes up little space, weighs almost nothing, and can save you big time when things go south.

So when I teach electronics or robotics it makes no difference whether the student uses mA (milliamperes) or MA (megamperes)? In the first case parts come in pill bottles. In the second case they come in boxcars.

So correct usage of English is of no matter to you? Wow. I must be living in a dream world.

Jim

yes, yes you are.

you've shown a propensity to be an arrogant ass here also, FWIW.

not that I haven't...

...a couple of words not capitalized...get over it...and yourself...

I think this thread has run its ridiculous course. Recommend lock or delete.

What if rampy has something to add? Lock no thread before its time.

It think in the end it comes down to whether the OP displays aversion towards proceeding with a flight without a moving map out of a matter of convenience or because that moving map masks his genuine inability to complete a flight safely by the use of non-moving map navigation?

If the former then no harm no foul, perhaps he didn't word his original post well. If the latter, then that definitively is a condition that needs to be remediated for his own sake.

I think personality issues aside, most folks on here want to make sure a fellow aviator and enthusiast makes it home alive to fly another day.

...., most folks on here want to make sure a fellow aviator and enthusiast makes it home alive to fly another day.
:yes::yes::yes:

My suggestion is to take your huge retirement check we are all paying for.....

Thanks a ton for making our youth stupid...:mad::mad:.....
Ah, so your remarks were purely out of concern for his well being then, right?

Nauga,
who doesn't think everything looks like a (government owned) nail

Ah, so your remarks were purely out of concern for his well being then, right?

Nauga,
who doesn't think everything looks like a (government owned) nail

Yup.....

It is called tough love.....

Deal with it....:rolleyes:

I think personality issues aside, most folks on here want to make sure a fellow aviator and enthusiast makes it home alive to fly another day.

Or it's a situation similar to how piety (for one's own good of course) was enforced back in the day :D:

OK, quick course on Apple electronics. There are two primary chips inside [iPad, iPhone] the 'chipset' and the 'baseband device'. The chipset includes CPU and the designations Apple uses are A5, A6, A7, each with more power, memory, whatever.

The baseband device is another chip that manages wireless communication between smartphones and cell service providers, anything that needs an antenna, altho wi-fi belongs to the chipset. This is why the iPod touch has wi-fi and nothing else - no baseband.

The iPhones & iPads use the same chipset for whatever generation of device is being marketed. Back in the iPhone 4 days, the baseband was BCM4750 which is a single chip GPS receiver, then they moved to the Qualcomm MDM6610 which has an integrated GPS and lots of other goodies. Again, these are used in both the iPhone and iPad, depending on the generation.

If you have an iPhone of one generation (e.g. iPhone 4) and a new iPad, they won't have the same chipset and probably won't have the same baseband altho the same functionality will be there.

If you look at the latest tech specs on Apple's website the new iPad uses the A7 chip with 64-bit architecture and M7 motion coprocessor and the Qualcomm MDM9615M that includes GPS. The iPhone 5s uses the same A7 & M7 chips and the MDM9615M.

I haven't looked at the iPhone6 stuff other than it's using the A8/M8 chipset.

So yes, it's the same stuff inside the two Apple devices as long as you have same/similar generation devices.

The Dual is using the Skytraq technology which is the Venus816 single chip, dedicated GPS baseband.

Long way of saying your original comment was wrong.

Yes, they were using different GPS chipsets. His failure of his ability to manage the Settings function of one device trying to hook into a Dual gps has nothing to do with his iPhone.

Usually this is some sort of issue with the unit itself or the iOS Location Services not being able to talk to the device properly.

First question is: does it work in Google Maps or any other location-based app? If the answer is no, then it's not a problem with ForeFlight.

If the answer is yes then I suggest emailing ForeFlight support because I'm sure they've gotten similar emails.

I read the other thread and commented there before reading the first few posts of this one.

My intention is NOT to pile on and criticize the OP. With complete kindness and respect, I want to ask the OP if he has gone through and learned the process of flight planning using a chart, a plotter and an E6B.

I REALLY believe that for a beginning pilot, they should go through the chart process at least enough to understand all the factors involved BEFORE moving onto to a tool like Foreflight. By doing this, you will not only understand the Electronic Flight Bag faster and more thoroughly, but you will have a better understanding of the chart as a backup method.

Then, pitch a chart in the airplane for that time that the IPad might decide to puke, which Murphy will ensure that it happens at the worst possible time.

My $0.02,

I read the other thread and commented there before reading the first few posts of this one.

My intention is NOT to pile on and criticize the OP. With complete kindness and respect, I want to ask the OP if he has gone through and learned the process of flight planning using a chart, a plotter and an E6B.,

Oh, yes. I began my journey last November, finding PoA, reading lots of publications, and finding my trusty OLD e6b. After watching a video about using it, i practiced adjusting a route for wind. it felt fairly natural. Only later did i discover Foreflight, appreciating its sophistication.

I stopped reading as soon as I read "bluetooth"!

Although I do like new technology, new technology doesn't like me. Will never trust it. I don't even like the "glass" cockpits. Static port on the pitot gets clogged, you lose the Aspen altogether including the HI in the plane I've been flying. Not cool.

Back