Lost radios today...looking for reliable handheld

Ozone

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ozone
We lost our radios today and I used my handheld to call ATC. However, the headset jack was not well made and I kept losing the ability to receive. I had to mash my plug into the adaptor plug, otherwise it would back out and I was SOL.

I am wondering if anyone has some headhelds with adaptors that have worked well for them? I also am curious to know if anyone has played with the new sporty's PJ2 to see if their built-in plugs work well, or not.

Yaesu FTA-450!
I have used a bunch of different ones and this is best. I use it for my com in the Cub and Stearman. On a clear day i can pick up calls 200 miles away with the standard rubber antenna.yaesu.jpg

I have had a iComm IC-A22 for the past 25 years... and I have abused it.... left it on a wing during a rain storm, dropped countless times, etc..... If has a plug to adapt to a headset and a push to talk... Regarding the Yaesu, I think they took over or make the radios for Standard Horizon which is one of the best marine radios out there...

Between these two, I don't think you can go wrong...

I bought a PJ2 back in September... just received it last week because they were being sold by Sportys before being certified... sooo haven’t had a chance to try it out since my plane is currently in annual and getting some panel work...

Not sure why I responded since I didn’t say anything that would help...:confused:

but it does seem to be easy to use and has some good features... jacks seem to be solid

We lost our radios today and I used my handheld to call ATC. However, the headset jack was not well made and I kept losing the ability to receive. I had to mash my plug into the adaptor plug, otherwise it would back out and I was SOL.

I am wondering if anyone has some headhelds with adaptors that have worked well for them? I also am curious to know if anyone has played with the new sporty's PJ2 to see if their built-in plugs work well, or not.
I recently bought a PJ2 and except for having to slightly bend the spring contacts in the battery pack to have it work on the battery, I am very favorably impressed. The built-in headset jacks work great, the active/standby frequency toggle works great, and there are no damn menus to deal with when you need to use it in an emergency; just punch in the frequency on the keypad and it's there. I have a bubble canopy and I have no problem getting ATIS and talking to ATC using the rubber duck antenna, although clearly the range is more limited than if I had it connected to an external antenna.

I'm a happy customer.

Curious...what was the cause of the lost comms?
Our maintenance guy was able to reproduce the failure once. Then, it worked thereafter.

All we did was turn on the plane to get going (G2 Cirrus SR20 with avidyne and 430W's x 2).
No popped breakers.
The MFD, Transponder, 430 #2, and radio panel all went dead after takeoff...and stayed dead.

It's a club plane and our maintenance person was going to call cirrus and see if they've heard of this happening before.

FWIW, I called a towered airport as we were passing by, figuring that my handheld could reach them. They coordinated with ATC in MSP. Everyone was super-helpful in getting us back home to our own airport so that we could get the plane looked at. I could hear ATC, but my transmissions were intermittent (due to the crappy connection with the cheap-as-crap headset adapter plug receptacle). ATC, cleverly, asked us to make turns if we heard them (which we did) and helped keep us out of the way of other traffic. It was really cool to get the help and I greatly appreciated it.

They also had me try to call on the cell phone, but those 6 cylinders up front are very, very loud and that was pretty much useless.

My buddy did the flying/navigating and I did the communicating. It was a good learning experience and a good lesson about KNOWING that your back up plan should work before you have to use it. It was also super-helpful to have 2 pilots on board since we could split the tasks and continue to fly safely to our destination. I cant imagine trying to do what we did with only 1 pilot.

Minor lesson learned: if you have to grab your POH from the back pocket of a cirrus, the seat covers sold to protect the seats/cover over worn seats are in the way and make it very difficult to pull the POH binder out since the edge of the binder gets caught on the vinyl cover. The cover should be a lot more snug, IMHO

PJ2 is the way to go. You do not want some type of weird plug setup. With the PJ2 you unplug your headset and plug it into the PJ. Done and ready to use.

I recently bought a PJ2 and except for having to slightly bend the spring contacts in the battery pack to have it work on the battery, I am very favorably impressed. The built-in headset jacks work great, the active/standby frequency toggle works great, and there are no damn menus to deal with when you need to use it in an emergency; just punch in the frequency on the keypad and it's there. I have a bubble canopy and I have no problem getting ATIS and talking to ATC using the rubber duck antenna, although clearly the range is more limited than if I had it connected to an external antenna.

I'm a happy customer.

"and there are no damn menus to deal with when you need to use it in an emergency; just punch in the frequency on the keypad and it's there. "

I would thing the simple interface and no adaptor required would make it the obvious choice for a backup radio as long as no other significant issues. I haven't tried the PJ2, but would certainly consider it if I was looking for a backup radio.

Brian

The MFD, Transponder, 430 #2, and radio panel all went dead after takeoff...and stayed dead.
So that means you lost your non essential bus (the main bus).. however you should have still had COM 1 as that comes off the essential bus

This is probably the Clark Griswold "are you sure they're plugged in" question.. but you definitely tried talking through the top 430, COM 1? I know your audio panel was gone, but that shouldn't kill your ability to communicate on COM 1, that's how the system was designed, to not get you into the situation you were in

Odd.

Our maintenance guy was able to reproduce the failure once.
If it's a sudden disconnect it's likely that one of the leads feeding into the main bus has an issue.. hopefully your maintenance guys can figure it out

I have a Yaesu FTA -750L with GPS, VOR, Localizer and Glide Slope.
Everything works as advertised.
My only complaint: The screen is hard to see in bright sun.

So that means you lost your non essential bus (the main bus).. however you should have still had COM 1 as that comes off the essential bus

This is probably the Clark Griswold "are you sure they're plugged in" question.. but you definitely tried talking through the top 430, COM 1? I know your audio panel was gone, but that shouldn't kill your ability to communicate on COM 1, that's how the system was designed, to not get you into the situation you were in

Odd.
That’s what I was kind of wondering...I don’t know anything about Cirri, but my understanding is they were designed with redundancies that should prevent the need for a handheld.

That’s what I was kind of wondering...I don’t know anything about Cirri, but my understanding is they were designed with redundancies that should prevent the need for a handheld.
that's exactly it, unless there's some kind of severe catastrophic and remarkably statistically unlikely failure I'm perplexed at how you could lose all radios.. if the top Garmin was powered up then the radio, atleast COM1, should have worked

that's exactly it, unless there's some kind of severe catastrophic and remarkably statistically unlikely failure I'm perplexed at how you could lose all radios.. if the top Garmin was powered up then the radio, atleast COM1, should have worked
com1 definitely did not work; the entire audio panel was dead. This made com1 dead too. The avionics boffins that we know are on it. I think a call was placed to cirrus as well. I will do my best to report back when i know more.

com1 definitely did not work; the entire audio panel was dead
that's peculiar, if you look at the diagram radio one is tied to the essential bus directly, radio 2 and the audio panel come off the main bus but the way it's designed it is supposed to revert to radio one in the case of losing the audio panel and the main bus. You can try this on the ground, turn on just the essential bus with nothing else and you will be able to hear whatever radio is on COM1

Sounds like something might be seriously FUBAR in the plane especially if the main bus just cuts in and out like that

You'll have to make sure to report back once the gremlin is found!

I can't believe we made it this many posts without someone saying

PULL THE CHUTE

;):D

I have a Yaesu FTA -750L with GPS, VOR, Localizer and Glide Slope.
Everything works as advertised.
My only complaint: The screen is hard to see in bright sun.

That's not just a radio, it's a complete avionics panel in a very small container. Lighted keypad, waterproof, plus:

5 Watts TX Output Power
• Huge 1.7” x 1.7” Full-Dot Matrix Display (160 x 160 dots)
• ILS Navigation Display (Localizer and Glide Slope)
• VOR Navigation Display
• Easy to operate menu system
• Integrated 66 Channel WAAS GPS receiver
• Waypoint Navigation
• GPS Position Logging
• NOAA Weather Channel Receive (U.S.A. Version Only)
• NOAA Weather Alert (U.S.A. Version Only)
• 200 Memory Channels with 15 alphanumeric characters
• Back-lit Keypad and Display
• Water Protection – IPX5 Rating
• Loud Audio (800 mW)
• High-Capacity Li-Ion Battery Pack (7.4 V 1800 mAh)
• Alkaline Battery Tray (AA x 6)

I came across this radio recently and was quite amazed. On Amazon a buyer talks about leaving one turned on all night long, leaving it on the lawn with the sprinklers working and woke up the next morning listening to someone calling the local tower. Wasn't harmed. It's conceivable someone with a powered hang glider could use one of these to navigate cross-country and shoot an ILS at destination, talking to ATC along the way.

That's not just a radio, it's a complete avionics panel in a very small container. Lighted keypad, waterproof, plus:

5 Watts TX Output Power
• Huge 1.7” x 1.7” Full-Dot Matrix Display (160 x 160 dots)
• ILS Navigation Display (Localizer and Glide Slope)
• VOR Navigation Display
• Easy to operate menu system
• Integrated 66 Channel WAAS GPS receiver
• Waypoint Navigation
• GPS Position Logging
• NOAA Weather Channel Receive (U.S.A. Version Only)
• NOAA Weather Alert (U.S.A. Version Only)
• 200 Memory Channels with 15 alphanumeric characters
• Back-lit Keypad and Display
• Water Protection – IPX5 Rating
• Loud Audio (800 mW)
• High-Capacity Li-Ion Battery Pack (7.4 V 1800 mAh)
• Alkaline Battery Tray (AA x 6)

I came across this radio recently and was quite amazed. On Amazon a buyer talks about leaving one turned on all night long, leaving it on the lawn with the sprinklers working and woke up the next morning listening to someone calling the local tower. Wasn't harmed. It's conceivable someone with a powered hang glider could use one of these to navigate cross-country and shoot an ILS at destination, talking to ATC along the way.

I ... ummm ... just bought that as an early Xmas present to myself. Been wanting a handheld for a while and this particular thread pushed me to go for it.

Back