Lost proficiency - Gained weight

Shurdak

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Nic
So, it's been 6 years since the last time I've flown an aircraft as a pilot, a student pilot, in July 2017 I had my final checkride to get my CPL/IR. I got it, not knowing I was about to spend more than half a decade waiting to fly again.

Being 18 at the time it was very difficult, if not impossible, to get a job as a pilot even more so in Colombia. I guess "life got in the way" and I started working on other stuff, nothing as a professional, just anything that could give me enough money to live and pay for my daughter's school and food (I became a dad just 4 months before that checkride).
I tried going to the university and study something while I tried to save some money to pay for more flight training but it was impossible.
6 years later, and 90lbs heavier, I finally got to study Electronic Engineering and I'm earning a little bit more, at least to be able to save some to get into flight training again, granted I lose those nasty pounds that I gained through the years.

I kind of like what I work on now, but I feel that what I really want to do is work as a pilot, as I originally intended.
But well, now I have a goal, losing that weight and being back on training sometime next year, maybe get the Multi-Engine addition or, at least, get some proficiency training to be back in the air.

No particular point to this post, just wanted to share my story!

Hope everyone has an amazing week.

Good luck! it will take some work to shed the weight. I'm sure you know you need to get down to a weight to fit in the aircraft and not adversely impact the W&B.
Welcome back to flying!

So, it's been 6 years since the last time I've flown an aircraft as a pilot, a student pilot, in July 2017 I had my final checkride to get my CPL/IR. I got it, not knowing I was about to spend more than half a decade waiting to fly again.

Being 18 at the time it was very difficult, if not impossible, to get a job as a pilot even more so in Colombia. I guess "life got in the way" and I started working on other stuff, nothing as a professional, just anything that could give me enough money to live and pay for my daughter's school and food (I became a dad just 4 months before that checkride).
I tried going to the university and study something while I tried to save some money to pay for more flight training but it was impossible.
6 years later, and 90lbs heavier, I finally got to study Electronic Engineering and I'm earning a little bit more, at least to be able to save some to get into flight training again, granted I lose those nasty pounds that I gained through the years.

I kind of like what I work on now, but I feel that what I really want to do is work as a pilot, as I originally intended.
But well, now I have a goal, losing that weight and being back on training sometime next year, maybe get the Multi-Engine addition or, at least, get some proficiency training to be back in the air.

No particular point to this post, just wanted to share my story!

Hope everyone has an amazing week.

I can tell you that the fear of not being able to maintain my FAA medical has been the main driving force for why I took my health seriously over the last two decades. Some might say that is not a healthy attitude, but in my case I can't deny the true fact. Weight, blood pressure, cholestrol etc accumulates slowly, and it is easy to go on meds and put things off because we subconsicously know that nothing would really change tomorrow if we took no action. However, the FAA medical happens every two years, which is a much more of a near-term issue. I am inspired by pilots who still hold a medical into their 80's and 90's. I want to be in that group. In my case, a low-carb diet with a 48 hr fast every week, and lots of walking has done wonders.

Last edited:
@sarangan low carb like what? What do you eat during an average workday?

Coffee in the morning with a protein bar, no lunch, then meat and vegetables for dinner. Avoid rice, bread, grains, pastas, potatoes. I used to have a bottle of tums at home, the office and in the car. Now I have not had acid indigesion in over 5 years. Even simple things like allergies, colds and aches have gone away. Its the best thing I did in my life. Wish I had done it sooner, when I was in my 20's.

Hey everyone!

Took my time to check the forum and answer, had a lot of traveling to do the last 2 months.

Some updates:
I signed up at the local gym to finally start exercising.
I’ll have my first appointment this Friday with a nutritionist to also start eating better.

And a small extra that it’s pretty big where I’m from, I got my US tourist visa renewed (a mandatory requirement for Colombian airlines) and I might be able to go to the AirVenture next year, something I’ve always wanted to do.
@sarangan low carb like what? What do you eat during an average workday?

@Shurdak welcome back! Get current and rent a plane a bit. Are you in the states or still in Columbia?
I’m still in Colombia, renting is a bit harder than in the US but I’ll do so and get current as soon as I shed some weight, already saved enough for some training in 2024!

Coffee in the morning with a protein bar, no lunch, then meat and vegetables for dinner. Avoid rice, bread, grains, pastas, potatoes. I used to have a bottle of tums at home, the office and in the car. Now I have not had acid indigesion in over 5 years. Even simple things like allergies, colds and aches have gone away. Its the best thing I did in my life. Wish I had done it sooner, when I was in my 20's.
As someone in his 20’s, I’ll do anything possible to end this decade as a (hopefully) healthy adult. This kind of problems do get harder to solve the older you are (not calling you old haha).

My allergies are 80% better after cutting out any food with high fructose corn syrup. Turns out it’s everywhere.

Back