Lost logbook. What to do?

Bob Roberts

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Roberts
Good day (evening) all!

I took a break from flying for about 8 years. Have gotten back into it and have gone through and got my endorsements and am enjoying flying solo again. One issue however is that during that down time, I moved states and in that process my bag with my headset and logbook are gone :(
I can prove my pilots license and instrument rating of course and I was able to get the medical all set but my next step is to work on my commercial, and possibly the CFI at the end of the year.
Hindsite 20/20 and I should have a)not lost my logbook or b)may photocopies of the pages as I went along. The good news is that my wife is much smarter than I am and kept every single one of the receipts from the FBO where I got instruction and rented the airplane. Probably to remind me how much I was spending... But that I think helps a lot since it has number of hours marked on each receipt. So I believe I can use that. But the problem with that is that it doesn't list the departure and arrival airports which matters for the commercial. I know I have enough based on the receipts and knowing where I went, but they aren't formally in a logbook.
Someone mentioned to me that IACRA keeps track of that when you do a flight test? If so then I'm probably much better off since I only flew a few more months after I got my Instrument Rating. So if they recorded the numbers for that then I might be ok.

Anyone ever run into this or know someone that did?

Thanks!

If the times you entered in IACRA to generate the 8710 for your last checkride were accurate then that would be a good starting point. It sounds like most of your time would be recoverable that way.

IACRA is an official record and will help with a lost logbook, but it relies on you putting all the information in the fields when you get a new rating. Every rating I get I try to fill out as many fields as I can for just that reason.

Good day (evening) all!

I took a break from flying for about 8 years. Have gotten back into it and have gone through and got my endorsements and am enjoying flying solo again. One issue however is that during that down time, I moved states and in that process my bag with my headset and logbook are gone :(
I can prove my pilots license and instrument rating of course and I was able to get the medical all set but my next step is to work on my commercial, and possibly the CFI at the end of the year.
Hindsite 20/20 and I should have a)not lost my logbook or b)may photocopies of the pages as I went along. The good news is that my wife is much smarter than I am and kept every single one of the receipts from the FBO where I got instruction and rented the airplane. Probably to remind me how much I was spending... But that I think helps a lot since it has number of hours marked on each receipt. So I believe I can use that. But the problem with that is that it doesn't list the departure and arrival airports which matters for the commercial. I know I have enough based on the receipts and knowing where I went, but they aren't formally in a logbook.
Someone mentioned to me that IACRA keeps track of that when you do a flight test? If so then I'm probably much better off since I only flew a few more months after I got my Instrument Rating. So if they recorded the numbers for that then I might be ok.

Anyone ever run into this or know someone that did?

Thanks!

Happened to me to. I did this https://www.faa.gov/forms/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentid/186615
The 8710’s for your check rides will be there. There will probably be some overlap in IR requirements (which you can prove because you have the IR) and Commercial requirements. Other than that you may have to repeat some things you’ve already done. Maybe those Receipt’s may help. I’d get the 8710’s and receipts together, find a DPE and get a consultation. Good luck

Thanks everyone. Always awesome help. Appreciate it. I hadn't thought about the consultation with a DPE as well. Hate to get to a checkride and have it cancelled because they don't like the review of the hours.

Happened to me to. I did this https://www.faa.gov/forms/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentid/186615
The 8710’s for your check rides will be there. There will probably be some overlap in IR requirements (which you can prove because you have the IR) and Commercial requirements. Other than that you may have to repeat some things you’ve already done. Maybe those Receipt’s may help. I’d get the 8710’s and receipts together, find a DPE and get a consultation. Good luck
Thanks, I've filled it out and sent it on it's way. Hopefully 2 months I'll get something useful back.

Back