Lost Log Book

WarriorPilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
warriorpilot
My wife dumped in the trash can my Log Book, by mistake. Anyone know if I can start a new Log Book? what about the endorsement I got on several aircraft types?
:mad2:

Last edited:
Think maybe your wife is trying to tell you something? LOL

Sorry, I couldn't resist. And I don't know how to help otherwise. I have kind of wondered some of the same things myself.

I'd probably go dig it out. How long ago did she "accidentally" throw it away.

Now you know why folks make photocopies of each page and store them somewhere safe. But here's the FAA guidance on point:
5-172 LOST LOGBOOKS OR FLIGHT RECORDS. Inspectors should advise airmen that they may reconstruct lost logbooks or flight records by providing a signed statement of previous flight time.

A. Proof of Experience. Airmen may use the following items to substantiate flight time and experience:

· Aircraft logbooks,
· Receipts for aircraft rentals,
· Operator records,
· Copies of airman medical files, and
· Copies of FAA Form 8710‑1, Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application.

B. Obtaining File Copies. Airmen who have lost their logbooks or flight records may request copies of their files from the FAA by writing to the following:

FAA Airmen Certification Branch, AFS-760
P.O. Box 25082
Oklahoma City, OK 73125
or
FAA Aeromedical Certification
P.O. Box 25082
Oklahoma City, OK 73125
NOTE: Inspectors should encourage pilots to complete the flight time sections of official record forms, even though it would not be required for that specific certificate. These records document a chronological development of flight time in case personal records become lost.
5-321 LOST LOGBOOKS OR FLIGHT RECORDS. Aeronautical experience requirements must be shown for a person to be eligible for the issuance or to exercise the privileges of a pilot certificate. A pilot who has lost logbooks or flight time records should be reminded that any fraudulent or intentional false statements concerning aeronautical experience are a basis for suspension or revocation of any certificate or rating held. The pilot who has this problem may, at the discretion of the ASI accepting the application for a pilot certificate or rating, use a signed and notarized statement of previous flight time as the basis for starting a new flight time record. Such a statement should be substantiated by all available evidence, such as aircraft logbooks, receipts for aircraft rentals, and statements of flight operators.
Note that the notarized statement business only covers flight time, not endorsements. For endorsements (like flight reviews, HP, etc), if they're gone, they're gone, and you'll have to get the instructor who gave it to you to put a new one in your new logbook, which most will happily do based on their records. Otherwise, you'll just have to bite the bullet and get the training and endorsement from another instructor.

FAA Order 8900.1, aka the Inspector's Handbook.
http://fsims.faa.gov/

The FAA has recently been trying to make that order and several others more well known and obtainable by airmen. I subscribe to the FAA's update list for many items and FSIMS has been going through several changes that make it easier to find. The FAA likes to burry some things on their website, and despite what they have said in those updates.... they still have it effectively burried in a lesser known part of the website -- as far as navigating to it on your own without specifically knowing what document you need to reference. Those wascalwe wabbits :D

Now you know why folks make photocopies of each page and store them somewhere safe.

I have some pretty nice multi-function machines in my business office but I found copying or scanning logs to be excruciatingly slow. My solution? I took a digital photo of each page of my logs (actually 2 pages at a time), loaded them into the computer, and converted to a .pdf doc for each log. I did 6.5ish aircraft logs and 2.5 pilot logs in less than an afternoon.

Last edited:
The FAA has recently been trying to make that order and several others more well known and obtainable by airmen. I subscribe to the FAA's update list for many items and FSIMS has been going through several changes that make it easier to find. The FAA likes to burry some things on their website, and despite what they have said in those updates.... they still have it effectively burried in a lesser known part of the website -- as far as navigating to it on your own without specifically knowing what document you need to reference. Those wascalwe wabbits :D

8900.1, as well as it's predecessors (8400, etc) have been in the public domain for years.

As far as FSIMS goes, there is the public version (the one you see) and there is an FAA version that has additional resources.

I have some pretty nice multi-function machines in my business office but I found copying or scanning logs to be excruciatingly slow. My solution? I took a digital photo of each page of my logs (actually 2 pages at a time), loaded them into the computer, and converted to a .pdf doc for each log. I did 6.5ish aircraft logs and 2.5 pilot logs in less than an afternoon.

Same here.

I have scans and/or photos of each page, and those are saved on my laptop encrypted drive, plus backed up at home, backed up at work, and saved off to my web hosting site, dropbox, etc.

So long as my brain works well enough to be fit for flight, I should be able to find a relatively current copy of my logbook, cert, medical, and life-critical details.

Back