Lost in Kansas

I wish I could've come along, sounds like a hellofa trip...and a lot more fun on the road than it would'a been on US Air!

HAHAHAH that is awesome! My only question is why the hell were you on a dirt road in KS in the first place?!?!?!?!?!

Pete

Somebody needs to fix the ruts that were left on my road. We're short on dirt too, could you send some back? I live in Inman. If you were in Little River you were about 15 miles from my house.

Regards, Kevin

HAHAHAH that is awesome! My only question is why the hell were you on a dirt road in KS in the first place?!?!?!?!?!

Pete

I don't have a good answer for that. Try Tony. He was awake for that portion of the trip. I do know that the brand new atlas I'd just bought that morning showed a paved county road when in fact it turned into dirt just a few miles into it. We were, admittedly, already "not in Kansas anymore" by that point so it's no excuse really.

On the trip down we were going to take the 2 lane west out of Wichita but in fact, MISSED Wichita and ended up in Okahoma instead. In my defense I did say at one point "wasn't that Wichita? I'm pretty sure that was Wichita" but Tony and Chris assured me in no uncertian terms that there was no way we had passed it yet.

It really was so great traveling with these guys that by hour 6 I felt like we'd been on the road for about 2 and a half hours. I think this sort of reality distortion had something to do with our navagational issues. Getting out to push was an excellent way to become reacquainted with reality. I still get the heebee-jeebees when I recall looking at the 1 inch of clearance between the bottom of the car and the mud. If we'd have spun the wheels or made one wrong move (beyond what we'd already done) we'd still be there; dinosaur bones in the La Brea Tar Pits.

Last edited:
On the trip down we were going to take the 2 lane west out of Wichita but in fact, MISSED Wichita and ended up in Okahoma instead. In my defense I did say at one point "wasn't that Wichita? I'm pretty sure that was Wichita" but Tony and Chris assured me in no uncertian terms that there was no way we had passed it yet.
Guess you guys should've taken along a handheld GPS. Talk about bad pilotage! :D

I think I see a trend here. I remember a "minor course deviation" on the retrieve from the last xc flight of the season last year. Something about having a glider attached to that Taurus brings bad navigational luck, I guess. It just wouldn't seem right to have a glider attached to the Taurus without dragging it through a farm field, ravine, or mud road.

I'd get a new atlas - maybe one that shows the interstate highway system. ;)

Guess you guys should've taken along a handheld GPS. Talk about bad pilotage! :D

That doesn't help. The GPS won't tell you, "Hey idjit, it's a two lane state road, but this state doesn't have snow plows and that road is icy,snow packed hilly and dangerous." and you realize at the bottom of one hill that a mere 3 degree variation in your your shaky course would put you in the creek you're crossing.

On the trip down we were going to take the 2 lane west out of Wichita but in fact,
Was that 57? I have taken that road many times to Albuquerque. Great drive, you can easily go 60 or 70 on the straight flat roads and there is a little town about every two hours.

MISSED Wichita and ended up in Okahoma instead. In my defense I did say at one point "wasn't that Wichita? I'm pretty sure that was Wichita" but Tony and Chris assured me in no uncertian terms that there was no way we had passed it yet.
Sounds like a CRM problem ;)

well, IMO, the problem was that matt was asleep :) When he woke up it seemed there was a little directional disorientation in the cockpit where East seemed to equal North. And then we were on gravel, which wasnt too big of a deal. Matt and I have both done fairly long distances on gravel after a wrong turn to avoid backtracking. The mud was a pain in the ass though. Sure made for a great story!

Tony, I'd love to have one of those buttons in your avatar! :)

I probably wouldn't be allowed to wear it at one school I'm trying for. They have over twenty Diamonds in their fleet. :)

Did you see Toto?

I've seen Toto. In fact, I have a great story regarding Toto, Kansas, my 1978 Monte Carlo, a hitchkiker, my best girlfriend, and ditching school on a Thursday.

That story is best reserved for a campfire and adult beverages, however.

Looks like Tony had a helluva time! Kansas has a way of making an ordinary trip an adventure. Everytime I've driven or flown through that state it has been exactly that. The last flight involved a cat throwing up in the back of my 310. I can STILL smell it to this day, 5 years later.

That doesn't help. The GPS won't tell you, "Hey idjit, it's a two lane state road, but this state doesn't have snow plows and that road is icy,snow packed hilly and dangerous." and you realize at the bottom of one hill that a mere 3 degree variation in your your shaky course would put you in the creek you're crossing.

They also get you into plenty of trouble when it looks like a good shortcut. Ask me how I know. I'm glad I had 4 wheel drive. I still have some of the mud after 2 years under the truck.

Dan

Not even going to ask how you ended up in that mess. :rofl:

You weren't that far from where I grew up.....and yes, Kansas does have paved roads......I've personally travelled them with Toto. :D

I've seen Toto. In fact, I have a great story regarding Toto, Kansas, my 1978 Monte Carlo, a hitchkiker, my best girlfriend, and ditching school on a Thursday.

That story is best reserved for a campfire and adult beverages, however.

Now that sounds like a good time. But what on earth did you let a cat on your plane for? :D

Back