Lost his mommy

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Coming back into the office today at lunch this little guy was right next to the door. He looks less than two months old. Momma is roaming the grounds looking for him We hope after work when not as many people are about that she finds him.

I work on a pretty large office campus and this the entrance to corporate HQ, not exactly a good place for this little guy. I am hoping when I leave he has found momma. Security won't let us move him to a better spot (can't really blame them) and they are not planning on doing anything until Tuesday if he survives that long.

Attachments

• 05-26-06_1306.jpg
    05-26-06_1306.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 79
Scott -

The fawn may have been abandoned by the doe -- they'll do that if one of the two fawns is sick, for example. I'd suggest calling a wildlife rescue operation or the state game commision.

Yeah, Bob is right call the animal protection agency. Or, you could take it home and it could be your little brother. :)

Joe Williams said:
I take it I'm the only one who thinks he looks like a tender, yummy snack for the grill? :rofl:

I was just thinking that Joe. Is there a deer equivalent to Veal???

:D

Yes, I'm kidding!

Anthony said:
I was just thinking that Joe. Is there a deer equivalent to Veal???

:D

Yes, I'm kidding!
You bet, Anthony. In the Pine Barrens of NJ, it's called "Piney poodle", a reference to both the small size of the local deer and to young 'uns. Some Piney's eat lots more venison than the law allows, and aren't real particular about sex and age.

Mom probably stashed him there. Best thing to do is leave him alone. She will most likely pick him up later. Young fawns don't have alot of scent and are less of a target to predators if the doe leaves them when she is foraging for her meal.
I've almost stepped on several different fawns over the years. They will stick pretty tight.

Barb

One Short said:
Mom probably stashed him there. Best thing to do is leave him alone. She will most likely pick him up later. Young fawns don't have alot of scent and are less of a target to predators if the doe leaves them when she is foraging for her meal.
I've almost stepped on several different fawns over the years. They will stick pretty tight.

Barb

That's what I was thinking. Out at the farm, we stumble upon lone fawns all the time, but mom always comes back them.

yup I vote leave him alone,
weve had many brought in to us by well meaning people when in fact the doe has just left the fawn while she is out getting the groceries.
Maybe this one was spooked by something and left, ending up near your building.
I bet mom will find it. Or at least there is a better chance of a good outcome if everyone walks away.

yep - leave 'im alone and mom'll likely come on back for him. Or her. Whatever.

The only time I've brought one in is when we had 5 (five!!) dogs with us on a walk and they ALL discovered this little fawn. Didn't have enough belts and whatnot to control the dogs, so I just picked up the fawn and brought him with us to the house. We called animal control and my wife got this really condescending and rude woman who basically told her off. We went ahead and took the fawn back as originally planned (after getting the dogs contained - we wuz busy for a while, there!!) and the woman called back to see what the outcome was. I advised her that we KNEW you should just leave 'em there, but if we did, that fawn would have turned into dog food. She did have the grace to apologize, though!

Ane they don't make eye contact. "If I don't see you your not here". Be glad it's not an elk or moose. Moma will protect in those species.

Leave it alone.

There have been a lot of reports of people getting attacked by the dears:
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-deer25.html

One time I was walking in to a pizza joint from the parking lot not paying too much attention to anything when this Canada goose came out of the flower bed and charged me. His wife was there sitting on the nest. I was startled and jumped. I since decided that had he bit me, it would have been easy for me to crush the beggar into pate' but now I know that would get me in trouble.

Last edited:
I SAY BBQ HIM!!!!!!! 1 less deer out there for me to hit, as I hit one tonight on my way home. Now the car gets to go back to the shop to get fixed. No wonder I have NO $$$$ for flying. Sigh.

mikea said:
getting attacked by the dears
deer :D

I guess I've never heard of deer attacking....but I suppose it's possible.

999 times out of 1,000 when they notice you they will run like hell.

jangell said:
deer :D

I guess I've never heard of deer attacking....but I suppose it's possible.

999 times out of 1,000 when they notice you they will run like hell.
Fawns NEVER do that...

Oh, yeah - they'll attack - I know more than one hunter that felt uncomfortably like prey before the day was over. A deer'll charge, for sure.

Its amazing how fast people change their mind when it becomes personal. First it was " Its Bambie" then it was "awwww poor little guy. looks so sweet and innocent." and now its...
HPNFlyGirl said:
I SAY BBQ HIM!!!!!!! 1 less deer out there for me to hit, as I hit one tonight on my way home. Now the car gets to go back to the shop to get fixed. No wonder I have NO $$$$ for flying. Sigh.
:rolleyes:

HPNFlyGirl said:

Hopefully not too much damage. I hit a deer once while I was doing 60. Caught 'em on on the corner of the car. About $1500 damage - 15 years ago.

Just deer hair in the grill and a busted light. My brothers friend was nice enough to come over and fix the light for me today.

Back in 2000 I hit a deer totalled my car. I ended up hitting that one at 70 mph, the airbags came out. Those things hurt!!!!!

:rollercoaster:HAPPY ENDING!!!:rollercoaster:

The security guard here at work said that about 5pm or so the momma deer came back and got her baby. So alls well that ends well.

:happydance:

smigaldi said:
:rollercoaster:HAPPY ENDING!!!:rollercoaster:

The security guard here at work said that about 5pm or so the momma deer came back and got her baby. So alls well that ends well.​

:happydance:

Hate to break it to ya... but I'm betting the security guard's family had a very special Memorial Day BBQ LOL.

Joe Williams said:
Hate to break it to ya... but I'm betting the security guard's family had a very special Memorial Day BBQ LOL.

Deer veal?

Back