Lost DG on Approach

Lando

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Lando
I was out shooting some approaches this weekend when my DG failed. Fortunately, it was VFR and I had a safety pilot, so I just kept the hood on and continued the approach for a priceless experience.

While I have practiced partial panel plenty of times, I've never had anything fail in the real world. Let me say that a spinning DG is incredibly disorienting while trying to fly an approach! Just past the FAF, I noticed that something was off and the there was significant procession. As I started to match the DG with my magnetic compass it got worse and ended up about 180 degrees in the wrong direction. I tried the standby vacuum, which didn't change anything, and confirmed that the attitude indicator was still functioning properly. By now, the DG started spinning uncontrollably and was obviously not working.

I was on a GPS approach to an uncontrolled field and continued, but found myself getting pretty far off course and was about a dot shy of full deflection when I got to minimums. My biggest takeaway from this scenario is how quick you can loose situational awareness with a failure like this inside the FAF. I'm now convinced that if I ever have this happen when on an actual approach, the best scenario will be to go missed, get some altitude and trouble shoot things above the clouds or while in level flight. At that point, I could cover the faulty instrument with a piece of paper to lessen the distraction and approach could give nice easy vectors to get set up again.

Thankfully, this all happened while I was in VMC with a safety pilot, so it was a non-issue and great opportunity to learn. Hopefully it helps some of you think about the scenario too!

Great training. I have heard before that it is useful to carry the "failed" stickers to cover up actual failures and you just had a real life example of why.

Good training scenario, thats one reason I went to foreflight,or a portable GPS ,and use as backup during an approach,

I had a CFI show me to use nav Page 1 on my 530W if I had a DG failure, it won’t be 100% aligned with magnetic heading, but it’s close enough! I felt stupid, because I seldom used that page! My only vacuum failure was during my instrument training, it was VFR, but made a great under the hood exercise for that day!

Great training. I have heard before that it is useful to carry the "failed" stickers to cover up actual failures and you just had a real life example of why.
I carry a stack of 3x3 Post-It notes in one of my kneeboard pouches. It also comes in handy for when ATC has a number for me to copy.

Glad you got your training experience under safe conditions. You can't simulate that in an airplane, and I think people underestimate how disorienting it is to fly with an instrument that is going flaky on you.

Thanks for the reminder. Time to add another pad of post its to the flight bag.

Addendum: I wonder what an examiner would say on an instrument check ride if he failed an instrument and I used FF as a backup?

Back