Lost Communications IFR Help

I've had a VOR as a limit for a pop-up IFR clearance, but never on a planned IFR flight.
That would be a good time to ask for alternative lost comm procedures, such as returning to the departure point. You can see that if you lost comm soon after departing with a local VOR as a clearance limit, 91.185(c)(3)(ii) would require you to leave the hold and head to your destination at the EFC and if no EFC, required to skip the hold. Better to ask to make the departure airport the destination in the event of lost comms.

Simmer. I’m just relaying an IFR checkride scenario relevant to the op’s concern. Back then I didn’t even have Bluetooth headset. Now, I could simply call ATC if cell coverage allows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or a handheld with an ear bud. If ATC says 123AB turn heading 270 and you turn, you are communicating on a basic level.

Last edited:
Or a handheld with an ear bud. If ATC says 123AB turn heading 270 and you turn, you are communicating on a basic level.

True. Like all things, “it depends”. So many different things to try. That just happened to be the answer that one guy (who was in the way of my instrument rating) wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice recovery. Thanks. This was helpful. Can’t be upset with you anymore.

You are not alone with check ride people who struggle with this reg. ATC can’t talk to you, so the reg provides you and ATC a plan for what should happen.

There are 6 elements.

VFR conditions - if you are in VFR conditions you can clear your own traffic, stay there and land.

Route - Fly the route you were cleared to fly.

Radar Vectors - Take a direct route from the point of radio failure to the fix, route, or airway specified in the vector clearance. This includes vectors for an approach.

Altitude - Fly your assigned altitude, but climb if when you need to maintain the minimum charted altitudes. If ATC advised you an altitude to expect, use that altitude when the time expires, (3000, expect 7000 in 10minutes). Do not leave your altitude early. See Clearance Limit.

Clearance Limit - if the clearance limit is a fix enroute, hold until EFC time expires.

If the clearance limit is your destination, upon arrival at the airport proceed to a fix from which any approach begins (your choice) and commence descent or descent and approach as close as possible to the estimated time of arrival as calculated from the filed or amended (with ATC) estimated. Hint, If you file an ETE that will be expired when you arrive, you never have to hold.

When the clearance limit is a fix from which an approach begins, commence descent or descent and approach as close as possible to the expect-further-clearance time if one has been received, or if one has not been received, as close as possible to the estimated time of arrival as calculated from the filed or amended (with ATC) estimated time en route.

Emergency - In an in-flight emergency requiring immediate action, the pilot in command may deviate from any rule of this part to the extent required to meet that emergency.

I lost com solid IMC to Florida once. Had a handheld, but no outside antenna, so range was short. Ended up relaying intentions through an airliner, and acknowledging ATC via the squawk button. ATC's been there before, if there's a way to communicate, they'll figure it out.

Nice recovery. Thanks. This was helpful. Can’t be upset with you anymore.
Clearance Limit - if the clearance limit is a fix enroute, hold until EFC time expires. If no EFC, leave the fix upon arrival, i.e, don't hold at all.

If the clearance limit is your destination an IAF, upon arrival at the airport IAF, proceed to a fix from which any approach begins (your choice) and commence descent or descent and approach as close as possible to the EFC, or if none, the estimated time of arrival as calculated from the filed or amended (with ATC) estimated. Hint, If you file an ETE that will be expired when you arrive, you never have to hold.
As pointed out by Palmpilot, that post has some problems. I edited it above in red to reflect my (correct, if I might be so bold) understanding.

Once upon a time there was a complete paragraph detailing the time of descent at either EFC or ETA, whether or not holding instructions were received. That paragraph was deleted back in the 1980s in order to expedite landing the lost comm aircraft ASAP when holding wasn't actually necessary for traffic reasons. You only need to delay descent these days when holding instructions have been received. The irony is, pilots never kept up with the rules changes! They keep on trying to interpret the current rule in the OLD way. Then they gripe about how the rule makes them delay descent under such trying circumstances as lost comm and clamor for a rule change! What makes it crazy is they write to the Chief Counsel for help understanding the rule and the Chief Counsel, not being pilots themselves, reach out to Flight Standards or some other FAA alphabet group for guidance and they get the same misguided interpretation from the FAA's own so-called "experts". Now, the Chief Counsel has non-RNAV aircraft flying to the destination airport even before the IAF! Arrgh! :rolleyes:

I once wrote the ATO alphabet group, which is the one responsible for deleting the "Descent" paragraph in the first place back in the '80s, to find out exactly what they meant. Apparently, the newbies in ATO didn't have a clue what their forebearers had in mind, so they kicked my questions to the Chief Counsel. Rinse and repeat. So, if I were trying to prep for a test I'd use my interpretation of the rules, which make perfect sense, and use emergency authority to justify the action if called into question by the DPE. If I was still a DPE and you did it my way, I'd probably fall to my knees and kiss your feet!

As pointed out by Palmpilot, that post has some problems. I edited it above in red to reflect my (correct, if I might be so bold) understanding.

Once upon a time there was a complete paragraph detailing the time of descent at either EFC or ETA, whether or not holding instructions were received. That paragraph was deleted back in the 1980s in order to expedite landing the lost comm aircraft ASAP when holding wasn't actually necessary for traffic reasons. You only need to delay descent these days when holding instructions have been received. The irony is, pilots never kept up with the rules changes! They keep on trying to interpret the current rule in the OLD way. Then they gripe about how the rule makes them delay descent under such trying circumstances as lost comm and clamor for a rule change! What makes it crazy is they write to the Chief Counsel for help understanding the rule and the Chief Counsel, not being pilots themselves, reach out to Flight Standards or some other FAA alphabet group for guidance and they get the same misguided interpretation from the FAA's own so-called "experts". Now, the Chief Counsel has non-RNAV aircraft flying to the destination airport even before the IAF! Arrgh! :rolleyes:

I once wrote the ATO alphabet group, which is the one responsible for deleting the "Descent" paragraph in the first place back in the '80s, to find out exactly what they meant. Apparently, the newbies in ATO didn't have a clue what their forebearers had in mind, so they kicked my questions to the Chief Counsel. Rinse and repeat. So, if I were trying to prep for a test I'd use my interpretation of the rules, which make perfect sense, and use emergency authority to justify the action if called into question by the DPE. If I was still a DPE and you did it my way, I'd probably fall to my knees and kiss your feet!

If I can be so bold as to ask, exactly how does one get an IAF as a clearance limit? The normal ATC procedure is to clear you to an airport.

It doesn't happen much, but it can happen. Let's say you're flying into a "one operation at a time" field and there's someone ahead of you also IFR. You could get cleared to a fix to hold until the other guy cancels. If you go lost comm there, they intent is that you hold until the EFC rather than immediately running down the guy ahead of you.

It doesn't happen much, but it can happen. Let's say you're flying into a "one operation at a time" field and there's someone ahead of you also IFR. You could get cleared to a fix to hold until the other guy cancels. If you go lost comm there, they intent is that you hold until the EFC rather than immediately running down the guy ahead of you.

Yes, you have a hold, but that is not your clearance limit.

If you were cleared XYZ WAYPP ABC and WAYPP is a fix where an approach begins or a feeder route, you are still required to go to ABC.

You do go to ABC...when you land.

What you are trying to say makes absolutely no sense for at least three reasons.

1. You are using the regulation governing timing to determine what route to fly. The route is determined first. You're doing it in the wrong order.

2. When your clearance limit is the airport, there is no need to worry about when to "leave" the airport. The airport is your destination. You're not leaving once you get there. Therefore, 91.185(c)(3) is not applicable. You don't have to determine when you should leave, because you're not leaving.

3. There are still aircraft without IFR GPS, and the reg was written before GPS was common. The airport is not a waypoint on a flight plan that can be navigated to without doing an approach first. Also doing it your way implies the destination airport would appear in a flight plan two times.

Last edited:
If I can be so bold as to ask, exactly how does one get an IAF as a clearance limit? The normal ATC procedure is to clear you to an airport.
I concur with the above two explanations. Especially where non-radar. Could be that your hand-off to approach occurred after approach released a departure with a void time and they need to park you somewhere until it's on frequency.

You see, back in the '70s ATC used an "Expect approach clearance" (EAC) concept. That was rescinded by Amendment 91-189, the same time the "Descent" paragraph was deleted. I've tried to document all this history along with my trials and tribulations with the Chief Counsel here: http://www.avclicks.com/lost_comm/Lost_comm2/index.html Advance apologies for a rather inelegant tutorial, but websites aren't my bag.

You can see the exact questions I submitted to ATO using the FAA's website, how they kicked it to Chief Counsel, how they didn't even address the questions and had to try again when I called them on it. Then, they botched their answers which, for a change, started to actually make some sense. When I tried again to get them to clean it up — they flat out said they were done (bored?) with it. So much for any concern about accuracy on their part.

That would be a good time to ask for alternative lost comm procedures, such as returning to the departure point. You can see that if you lost comm soon after departing with a local VOR as a clearance limit, 91.185(c)(3)(ii) would require you to leave the hold and head to your destination at the EFC and if no EFC, required to skip the hold. Better to ask to make the departure airport the destination in the event of lost comms.
You are right, and it was lazy of both me and the controller not to do that. In our (partial) defense, I was less than 30 min out, and just needed a way down through the cloud deck, which had closed up locally from the forecast scattered to nearly overcast during the 3 hours since I took off. The ceiling was higher than 3,000 ft AGL, with >10 SM viz below.

Another example (rarely used, but still on the books, at least in Canada) is the "composite" flight plan, where you file IFR to a certain waypoint (which could be a fix or navaid), then VFR for the remainder. Your clearance would be just to the fix, not to your destination airport.

This could be useful if (for example) you're flying to a very busy airport that's CAVU, but need to depart in IMC. By switching to VFR partway through, you'd avoid the risk of a long ground hold waiting for your clearance, since the destination ATU wouldn't be limiting.

Good plan. Does your transponder work if the entire radio stack just went dead? Can ATC see you on primary radar in the clouds at single engine altitudes when ATC is Center not a TRACON. Do they know if you descended when you weren’t supposed to?

If they can’t see you, is ATC supposed to scatter planes 360 degrees and all altitudes within the range of you airplane?
Exactly. I became a primary target only when my avionics stack went dark last fall. The only way you have left to communicate is through your lateral movements on the scope. Mine were intended to convey "look, I'm doing exactly what you expected."

When I had my 7600 situation my options were
Stay in IMC and continue on for the next 3.5 hours, attempting to dodge embedded TS and hope to get on top while keeping in accordance with the regulations,
or do what I opted for, and
Squawk 7600, descend out of the crud and beeline it to the nearest place that had 4 ticks on the chart.

Wen I landed the line guy asked if I was the one with the radio issue. ZTL had called the FBO and told them I was coming.

Stay in IMC and continue on for the next 3.5 hours, attempting to dodge embedded TS and hope to get on top while keeping in accordance with the regulations,
Squawk 7600, descend out of the crud and beeline it to the nearest place that had 4 ticks on the chart.

Wen I landed the line guy asked if I was the one with the radio issue. ZTL had called the FBO and told them I was coming.
Exactly. In your case, common sense dictated getting out of the system, rather than using up extra ATC attention for 3.5 hours; in mine, it dictated finishing my last 15–20 min in busy terminal airspace by the book to minimise uncertainty.

That's why we have pilots in command, and not just computerised rulebooks. Sometimes we have to use our brains.

I honestly don't think as complicated as some are making it out to be.. the rule actually makes a ton of sense, if it's VFR then don't crash into any airplanes and land somewhere close using the rules you learned in PPL days

if it is instrument conditions then you fly on your assigned route and altitude that they gave you, if you have to climb to maintain a minimum safe altitude then do that, and if you are on a vector then you go to the next fix.. I mean that seems pretty straightforward like the natural thing to do without needing regulation.. right?

honestly asking, what else could you possibly do? Fly around in circles until you run out of gas and crash? One of the reasons of them giving you a clearance on the ground is for lost communications reasons

I honestly don't think as complicated as some are making it out to be.. the rule actually makes a ton of sense, if it's VFR then don't crash into any airplanes and land somewhere close using the rules you learned in PPL days

if it is instrument conditions then you fly on your assigned route and altitude that they gave you, if you have to climb to maintain a minimum safe altitude then do that, and if you are on a vector then you go to the next fix.. I mean that seems pretty straightforward like the natural thing to do without needing regulation.. right?

honestly asking, what else could you possibly do? Fly around in circles until you run out of gas and crash? One of the reasons of them giving you a clearance on the ground is for lost communications reasons
Let's say you're IFR, in VMC above the clouds (probably the most typical situation for an IFR cross-country flight). Conditions below the ceiling are VFR, and you see some reasonable gaps (not just little holes) you could descend through, a ways off to your right. What do you do? That's where the thinking part comes in.

Let's say you're IFR, in VMC above the clouds (probably the most typical situation for an IFR cross-country flight). Conditions below the ceiling are VFR, and you see some reasonable gaps (not just little holes) you could descend through, a ways off to your right. What do you do? That's where the thinking part comes in.
and I think you illustrate a good point in the letter of the law vs. the spirit of the law.. in the situation he described you are VFR so you fly down through the reasonably sized hole and land

In that situation, remaining in VFR conditions if possible and landing is more than just a good idea, it's specifically required by the regulation.

"If the failure occurs in VFR conditions, or if VFR conditions are encountered after the failure, each pilot shall continue the flight under VFR and land as soon as practicable."

and I think you illustrate a good point in the letter of the law vs. the spirit of the law.. in the situation he described you are VFR so you fly down through the reasonably sized hole and land

What if the only airport nearby is class B or C?

If ATC is clearing out the airspace in front of you regardless of radar contact does it really matter if they know when you descend?

Not if you give them time to do it and ATC didn’t experience a radar outage right after your radios went belly up.

In that situation, remaining in VFR conditions if possible and landing is more than just a good idea, it's specifically required by the regulation.

"If the failure occurs in VFR conditions, or if VFR conditions are encountered after the failure, each pilot shall continue the flight under VFR and land as soon as practicable."
In Canada, the corresponding reg includes a clarification that you're not expected to divert if you're close to your destination (again, use common sense).

Also, my example was deliberately borderline, because I put the pilot above a broken cloud layer, believing they saw a gap in the clouds off their course to the right. If they didn't see that gap—or judged that it was too small for a safe descent—it might still be better to continue NORDO IFR (even if they're in VMC on top) so that they have a way down at the end of the flight. The regs provide guidelines, but they can't cover every possible combination of factors, so the pilot in command has to make the actual decisions.

If ATC is clearing out the airspace in front of you regardless of radar contact does it really matter if they know when you descend?
Well, yeah, it does matter. Lost comms isn't an emergency, loss of all electrical is. Or other serious things that can cause lost comms, like ice buildup breaking off antennas for instance. 91.185 isn't for "emergencies". John Travolta had an emergency, not lost comms. He might have acted differently under simple lost comms. In that case, descent would begin at the IAF if VFR conditions were never encountered. Would you expect ATC to clear all aircraft from FL410 to the surface all the way from DC to Maine?

Hopefully the nearest green airport with 4 ticks. The brown ones don’t have IAPs.

When I landed the line guy asked if I was the one with the radio issue. ZTL had called the FBO and told them I was coming.
ZTL is pretty savvy. I've had them use me in the air and also have called me on the ground (the airport manager number rings my phone) checking on pilots several times.

This happened to me a few days ago. I was getting vectors for the RNAV 17 approach at KPJC. Lost coms one way. I could hear ATC but they couldn’t read me. ATC continued vectoring me and requested that I acknowledge by indenting. If two way coms were lost, I would have just proceeded to the IAF and flew the approach as normal. I didn’t think if it at the time, but I guess I could have called them as well.

Back