Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
Captain Ted R. Dobrick
US Army Air Corps

P-40 Fighter Pilot WWII
P-47 Fighter Pilot WWII

Shot down twice. First time evaded capture for 2 months after being picked up by the French underground. Second able to ditch over friendlies.

95 Official Combat Missions
6 Unofficial Combat Missions
101 Total

He wanted to get to 100 combat missions so he would go on "training" missions with a few "students" new guys to the squadron. He never missed an opportunity to tear up something in ground attacks.

http://www.p47pilots.com/P47-Pilots.cfm?c=incP47BiographyHome.cfm&vm=BIO&pilotid=125&p=Ted%20R.%20Dobrick

Quiet, stowic, a great husband, father, community minded man. After the war came home and went to work raising a family and building a country. Never talked about the war until 15 years ago.

I knew him as Uncle Ted. Gave me my first airplane ride in a Cessna 170 back in the 60's, flying off the family farm. He let me take the controls. I was hooked. :D

Uncle_Ted_Sting__Medium_.jpg

Here is a picture of Uncle Ted when I gave him a ride in my "ultra light" TL2000 Sting Carbon in 2002. He still had the touch of a fighter pilot and I was just along for the ride. He could have easily landed the plane first attempt. It was a great feeling paying him back for the ride he gave me 45 years earlier.

Tail winds headed west Uncle Ted. Say hi to Aunt Loraine for me. ;)

Last edited:
My condolences for your loss; and my gratitude for your uncle's service and bravery.

-Rich

My condolences for your loss; and my gratitude for your uncle's service and bravery.

-Rich

Thank you!

When he did start telling his stories they made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. He could still taste the fear.

The plane in which he is standing in the link is his. He had the nose art painted on that he was very proud of.... "Sweet Loraine". The woman he married 30 days before shipping out. She waited for him and they raised 3 kids when he came home.

Last edited:
Many thanks for his service, and condolences for your loss.

Tailwinds... :(

Thanks to all who served during WWII, or who stayed home and worked in the factories.

They don't call them the "Greatest Generation" for nothing. Without them we would all be speaking German or Japanese. They literally saved the world.

Last edited:
Condolences for your loss.

May he have tailwinds for sure!

Ted was a member of the International Cessna 170 Association as well.

13200006e__Medium_.jpg

4 .50 Cal Brownings in EACH wing, plus 2 500 pound bombs. :eek:
That will leave a mark.

13200007e__Medium_.jpg

13200008e__Medium_.jpg

Last edited:
Condolences for your loss.

May he have tailwinds for sure!

Ted was a member of the International Cessna 170 Association as well.

Thanks, but it's "our" loss, all of us. I just happen to be a snot nosed nephew. These guys had kahunas at the right place and right time to save the world. Pretty amazing to think how they fought wars back then.

Last edited:
My wife's uncle flew the P47, too. He was one of the inspirations that finally got me off my rear end to stop thinking about flying lessons and to actually DO flying lessons. He died about 3-4 years ago.

Sorry to hear. Those guys were amazing.

My condolences but What A Great Man Who Lived A Remarkable Lived Life!
You must be proud through your tears, today...

My condolences but What A Great Man Who Lived A Remarkable Lived Life!
You must be proud through your tears, today...

We buried Capt. Dobrick today with military honors. A USAF honor guard did the honors of folding the flag on his coffin and handing it to my cousin. They did a great, respectful job.

Found out a few more fun facts about my uncle. Out of the 13 pilots in his fighter replacement group only 2 survived the war. :eek:

He was awarded the Silver Flying Cross 13 times. :eek:

His neighbors came to the funeral and supplied all of the food, support, and memories everyone wanted. I had people walking up to me in absolute amazement after hearing the eulogy saying they lived next to him for 50 years and had no idea he was a war hero.

I think Capt. Dobrick would be proud of the way his family and friends gathered to honor him today. I sure am.

Larry, sorry for your loss. Those guys had some serious stones.

BTW what is an "unofficial" combat mission?

Larry, sorry for your loss. Those guys had some serious stones.

BTW what is an "unofficial" combat mission?

He wanted to get to 100 missions before the war ended, just his goal. So as Squadron Leader he would take off with some "volunteer students" and accidentally fly into combat areas. :lol:

These were missions not assigned by higher ups.

Back