Lost another great person

The FAA report says it occurred on approach. What in heck could have gone wrong? Is that type of plane the best option for an Arizona to Wisconsin journey?

The FAA report says it occurred on approach. What in heck could have gone wrong? Is that type of plane the best option for an Arizona to Wisconsin journey?
Yes .

From the Pueblo Chieftain:
"Jeff Morhet was piloting a two-seat Nanchang CT-68 and making his approach to land when something went wrong and the plane crashed in a field about a half mile from the runway at Spanish Peaks Airfield north of town.
The Morhets were traveling from Grand Junction with three other planes that planned to refuel in Walsenburg before continuing to an air show in Oshkosh, Wis."

http://www.chieftain.com/news/metro...cle_d6e4d9f4-d544-11e1-aec5-001a4bcf887a.html

I can't link URL's for some reason, however if you click through, an eye witness at the airport said the following:

“I was standing near the terminal building and I saw him starting to head west and his gear was going down and he was just looping back to land,” the man said. “His plane started to roll and at first I thought he was doing a barrel roll, but then I realized he was way too close to the ground to be doing a barrel roll. His plane just nosed on over and went straight into the ground almost perfectly vertical.

“There was a huge splash of dust, but no fire started or anything like that. I never heard the engine rev up or anything, so there’s not much he could have done to pull out of it.” The witness estimated the plane was 400-500 feet in the air when it began to encounter problems.

Isn't that what Osh Kosh is all about, showing off yours and admiring other peoples favorite toys? I think just about every type of aircraft in the GA fleet has made its appearance there. No matter how small or powerful, no matter the distance, that is all part of doing it.

-John

I can't link URL's for some reason, however if you click through, an eye witness at the airport said the following:

“I was standing near the terminal building and I saw him starting to head west and his gear was going down and he was just looping back to land,” the man said. “His plane started to roll and at first I thought he was doing a barrel roll, but then I realized he was way too close to the ground to be doing a barrel roll. His plane just nosed on over and went straight into the ground almost perfectly vertical.

“There was a huge splash of dust, but no fire started or anything like that. I never heard the engine rev up or anything, so there’s not much he could have done to pull out of it.” The witness estimated the plane was 400-500 feet in the air when it began to encounter problems.

Base to final stall?¿

Isn't that what Osh Kosh is all about, showing off yours and admiring other peoples favorite toys? I think just about every type of aircraft in the GA fleet has made its appearance there. No matter how small or powerful, no matter the distance, that is all part of doing it.

-John

True, very true. One minute you're doing barrel rolls in your old Chinese made warplane and the next you're gone.

Back