Lost an engine today...

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
This pic shows the panel just when we got ready to cut our "engine" free ...

Here's a few more pics from the glider ride out of Boulder.

I got my altitude diamond (5,000 meter altitude gain) flying out of Boulder. @ 28,500' the wave ran out of steam. Boy, was it cold up there!

gkainz said:
This pic shows the panel just when we got ready to cut our "engine" free ...

Didn't your instructor ever warn you about thinking before fooling with red knobs? :p

I hate it when the engine fall off...or maybe not.
That seems like a seriously addicting side hobby.

bbchien said:
Nice Pawnee!
Yeah, I had to tell the guy that "so far, I'm way more interested in the tow plane than I am the glider" He laughed and said "Let's try to change that!"

The glider was a blast - I could see where becoming proficient with a glider would really boost one's confidence, finese and skills in mountain flying.

I think I'm still more interested in the tow plane, however...

fgcason said:
Didn't your instructor ever warn you about thinking before fooling with red knobs? :p

I hate it when the engine fall off...or maybe not.
That seems like a seriously addicting side hobby.
Yeah, that was one of the last minute "oh, by the way, don't touch the red knob" ...
"Oh, you mean this brown knob?"
"Yeah, the brown knob - don't touch the red knob."
"You do know that I'm gonna have to pull that knob, don't you?"
"Yeah, just not until I tell you to, ok?"
:goofy:

You know - that's something that I want to try someday, it looks like it would be fun. I just don't know how I feel about not having the ability to go around should something not be right on final. What do you do in that case?

Sure gets quiet up there, doesn't it? :eek:

Up at Owl's Head yesterday we saw a glider aerobatics demo. "Ohhlie wah!" as they'd say in Michigan. They piped lyrical classical music into the PA system while this glider did loops and rolls with thin smoke trails from the wingtips tracing out beautiful patterns in the sky. It was absolutely captivating. At the end of the show, the glider came down to the runway (looking as if to land)... but then did two more loops close to the ground! And then flew back up, turned onto the downwind leg, landed, taxied, and came to a stop about 12 inches from the edge of the grass, in front of the crowd. It was absolutely spectacular, and made me YEARN to be able to achieve such grace and skill and beauty. There are things that are "amazing" when done with a 300-HP engine at your disposal... but this display was another category entirely. (literally! hee hee!) It almost moved me to tears. Where can one learn to do that?

--Kath

Greg. That is cool. Are you going to get your Glider rating? I'd like to, maybe down at Meadowlake.

You really went to Boulder? Voluntarily? :)

Anthony said:
Greg. That is cool. Are you going to get your Glider rating? I'd like to, maybe down at Meadowlake.
No, at least not yet. I'm working on my IR written now...maybe after I get the IR done.

Anthony said:
You really went to Boulder? Voluntarily? :)
Yeah, I snuck in and snuck out...drove my daughter's Saturn so I sort of came in under stealth mode, instead of driving the Dodge with the beautiful smells and sounds of the Cummins Turbo Diesel...

NickDBrennan said:
You know - that's something that I want to try someday, it looks like it would be fun. I just don't know how I feel about not having the ability to go around should something not be right on final. What do you do in that case?
I really don't know, Nick. This was more a ride than instruction. The instructor did talk about carrying extra speed thru the pattern "just in case we need it" (80 knots instead of the 65 we were soaring with) ... the speed brakes were very effective at slowing us down. He said they were terminal velocity brakes, meaning, he said, we could deploy them and point the nose pretty much straight down, if needed.

NickDBrennan said:

Gliders are soooo easy to land (why don't our airplanes have partially deployable spoilers?) that the only reason you should ever need to abort a landing is if the whole runways was on fire. In that case you just land in a nearby field or parking lot.

Back