Lost A Good Friend Today.....

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
John F. Cox SR, Beatrice, NE was working on his experimental today when he started it full throttle from the outside..... The plane hit him and pushed him into a Hagar. John was 85.
A good man, a great father, and a good aviator who had given up flying due to his age, but just couldn't resist building and maintaining his experimental home built.

He could be seen regularly taxiing the plane around the airport as he would run the engine to keep it in good shape. Just a fun guy to be around, always witty and upbeat.

Last edited:
His son sent me this email a couple of mins ago...

Hello.
You may have seen this on the news.*
My dad, John Cox Sr., wrecked his airplane into a hanger at the Beatrice airport this afternoon and was killed. He enjoyed taxiing the non-flyable experimental Titan Tornado around the ramp. He apparently reached in to start the airplane and was dragged 50 yards into the facing hanger. The impact crushed him between the fuselage and the hanger structure.
He died doing what he loves. *No long nursing home decline for him.*
Please pray for the repose of the soul of John Cox Sr.
http://journalstar.com/news/local/9...cle_339b63bf-b858-5614-ad2d-55a520fa55ba.html
John Cox Jr.

John Cox, Sr. wass a great guy to know. His son is a very active CFI. They flew to all of the area breakfasts and flyins. If weather was bad, they drove. Very active in the aviation community in this area. Always positive and upbeat about life.

It always sounds like a worn out cliche, but John Cox Sr. will be missed.

Last edited:
Yes this is a very sad story. May God give your family piece during these sad times.

We all could learn something from this.

Tony

He died doing what he loves. *No long nursing home decline for him.*

We should all be so fortunate, especially the no nursing home decline!

RIP. Glad that when he went, it was doing what he loved at a ripe old age.

If you're going to go at least do it while doing something you love.

Not trying to be insensitive at all, but as he clearly cared so much about flying and his aircraft what happened do it? Was it damaged beyond repair? Something tells me that this gentleman would like to see it fly one day.

I'm sorry for your loss. May your friend rest in peace.

He died doing what he loves. *No long nursing home decline for him.

Sigh. Perhaps that makes his family feel better but being killed in a tragic yet freak accident that was a result of his oversight is hardly a good way to go. Had he dropped from cardiac arrest working on the plane, then he would have died doing what he loved. But his son is right, nursing homes suck, so at least he got to go to the great beyond before his family locked him away.

Planes are dangerous, even on the ground. Treat with respect.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back