Loss of feeling in fingertips

U

Unregistered

I'm in a professional aviation program and currently hold a 1st class medical (that I would like to keep).

I'm a Reservist. Recently, after some military training missions, I noticed loss of sensitivity in my fingertips. It's in all fingertips of both hands, in varying degrees. I feel that it's most significant in my index and middle fingers and least significant in my thumbs. I can still feel pressure, but have a diminished feeling of touch. The best way I can describe it is like wearing a pair of latex gloves.

I can still feel the shape of things and whether or not I'm touching something. For instance, I don't have any problem pushing buttons or using my touchscreen phone. My typing speed and accuracy may be suffering a bit, but if so, not much. I did have some trouble sewing when I had to fix a loose button. At present, I don't feel like this will be a hindrance in flying.

The medic I saw had me look the other way. He poked me with the tip of a pocket knife, and then something else small but soft, and I couldn't tell the difference. There was no pain or discomfort when being poked with the knife. The medic's supervisor, who I believe is licensed as a PA, saw me and I have a copy of the handwritten physical exam (we were in the field). I was instructed that if this does not resolve itself by our next drill, I need to get some kind of c-spine imaging done.

So, a few questions:

1. Assuming this completely goes away without any medical intervention, do I need to report, on my next medical, the symptoms or the conversation I had with my medic during a military exercise?

2. If this requires further treatment, is there anything I should do to reduce the headache this is going to cause with reporting and maintaining my medical?

3. I have a SODA for something completely unrelated and unaffected by this. I would think not, but is there any reason to be concerned that unrelated conditions might compound to cause a denial that wouldn't happen with any condition individually?

4. How serious is this?

Get checked for diabetes and for heavy metal intoxication. Those are the only things we can do anything about, (unless it's neurosurgical but you don't give enough information).

You need a doctor. Seriously. Never mind FAA.

Cervical stenosis and other neck problems could also be involved. Like Dr. B says, get it checked out. I know of one pilot who has had neck vertebrae fusion surgeon done and is back flying.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back