Loss of consciousness, cleared by neuro.

U

Unregistered

Received my medical in 2004 with no problems, but had a loss of consciousness in early 2005 and was hospitalized with several tests run, each of which showed no signs indicating a problem (EEG, ECG, Chest X-rays, MRI w and wo contrast, CT w and wo contrast). Upon discharge from hospital, was instructed to not drive or fly a plane until my follow up the following week. The following week I was given a sleep deprived EEG and upon results from that, had a consultation with the neurologist who indicated that there were no signs of a problem and I was cleared to drive and fly. Thought nothing of it and proceeded to complete PPL training. No suspension of driver's license, no clinical diagnosis of epilepsy, etc. But now I'm concerned after preparing for my next medical that the neurologist's assurance is not enough and wonder what process is needed to notify the FAA and ensure my medical and license are not at risk. Thanks in advance.

If you were medically cleared to fly after the incident, you need not report this to the FAA until your next medical certificate application. At that point, you will have to check "yes" in blocks 18c ("Unconsciousness for any reason") and 18u ("Admission to hospital), and report all visits to medical practicioners stemming from this in block 19. However, depending on the diagnosis made at the time, the AME may have to defer this to Oklahoma City -- be ready with all your records and test results in case that happens. Calling your AME ahead of time and giving him a "heads up" on what to expect may also help him prepare for this.

While on this subject, I need to wonder how, when first applying for a Class3 student/Med cert - would a "loss of consciousness" be viewed if it occured fifteen years ago and all tests at the time found nothing wrong, and condition never recurred since? Would FAA put me through the mill for this one occurance such as requiring a full makeup do you think?

Albro said:
While on this subject, I need to wonder how, when first applying for a Class3 student/Med cert - would a "loss of consciousness" be viewed if it occured fifteen years ago and all tests at the time found nothing wrong, and condition never recurred since? Would FAA put me through the mill for this one occurance such as requiring a full makeup do you think?
You need to post this on the red board and Dr. Bruce Chien will respond.

Albro said:
The only thing I can tell you for sure is that it must be reported even if it happened 15 years ago.

So Ron you are telling me if you fainted from a heat stroke mowing your yard at 2pm in August 15yrs ago...you are going to report that on your medical application? Hmmmm......

Bones said:
So Ron you are telling me if you fainted from a heat stroke mowing your yard at 2pm in August 15yrs ago...you are going to report that on your medical application? Hmmmm......
I don't think Ron meant that as you have interpreted it. In my case, the one he was refering to, the loss of consciousness led to medical treatment. In that case reporting would be required. In the case you mention, I would think it should go unreported. That is, if it was an isolated and not a recurring issue.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back