Losing my instructor towards the end.

MDeitch1976

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MattCanFly
My instructor starts a new job at the end of this week. Tomorrow, will be my last flight with an instructor I get along well with. He definitely gives me confidence in my flying. Good for him for being able to take the next step in his career. For our final flight together, we will be going out to a shorter runway I think 1850ft, and 30ft wide. Should make for an interesting last day. I am just wondering how this is going to affect the rest of my training? If my instructor was staying around I would probably be making my XC in the next within the next couple flights. I wonder if this is now going to stretch out several more hours in the transition? What is the best way to make this transition smooth? I have flown a couple times with this instructor. I have not been out with him on a cross country. Just not sure how I should feel about this.

Any opinions, insight, experiences?

Thank you.

I would ask for your instructors opinion on who would be a good replacement and get him to introduce you to him. This could allow for the instructor to pass on progress reports. Then, maybe a quick flight to test your skill level and you will pick up where you left off.

I would ask for your instructors opinion on who would be a good replacement and get him to introduce you to him. This could allow for the instructor to pass on progress reports. Then, maybe a quick flight to test your skill level and you will pick up where you left off.
If the two instructors are with the same school the transition should be fairly seamless at this point. If you're about to do solo X/Cs your current CFI ought to be able to convey your readiness for that without the new one needing to personally evaluate your skills. If the next step was going to be a dual X/C that would be a great opportunity for you and the new CFI to become acquainted.

I have been out with the instructor my CFI recommends I work with. The first was an introductory flight in the LSA. The second because of weather, was practicing solo work. I definitely get along with him. I have been out on several dual XCs with my current instructor. I hope you all are right, and this goes pretty smooth.

I had to take a stage check with another instructor at my school. It's more of a formality, really, and not quite the same situation as you. In any case, the different instructor basically asked me some questions (a quasi-oral, if you will) and examined my flight skills. Because the school keeps solid records of each pilot's progress, it was a seamless flight.

In an instance where it's more of a Mom 'n' Pop, where there may not be as many records, I would think your instructor would pass on your progress to the new instructor. It wouldn't be fair if he didn't.

What you might could do is maybe take some extra time and meet your new instructor - maybe with your current instructor. Go out and grab lunch or just have a coffee at the field and talk shop. That's what I would do.

No time for lunch with them. To late to shift my work schedule, and my instructor only has one more day there. Had my last flight with my instructor. And, had a little time with both of them before going out flying. My instructor feels I am ready for my XC. He still would like me to go out on one XC with my new instructor. My instructor definitely wants to know my progress, and has gave me the option to call him with any questions. He did apologize for not being around until the end of my training.

The last flight out was a short cross country, make a couple practice short field landings at DMW, then a short hop 2W2 for my first stab at a 1850 x 30 RWY. I went after work, which my instructor, and new instructor said I have to go back before 5 PM, so I can visit the FBO there. Apparently, there is a souvenir mug to buy when you land there. First landing a little hard and just past the displaced threshold before the numbers. Second, landing a little better. Third landing I figured out those archaic wooden panels a smoothest landing ever. It was a lot of fun, and great last flight out with my instructor. Departing RWY 32 at 2W2 is fun too. Little dip to go over to keep you on your toes.

Wow I've actually (unknowingly) flown over 2W2 once or twice. Doesn't it share the same frequency as Carrol County Regional?

That's good your (now old) instructor has given you the option to call him with questions. Hopefully, you and your new instructor get along just fine. A nice, long XC with the new guy should get you two acquainted.

Wow I've actually (unknowingly) flown over 2W2 once or twice. Doesn't it share the same frequency as Carrol County Regional?

That's good your (now old) instructor has given you the option to call him with questions. Hopefully, you and your new instructor get along just fine. A nice, long XC with the new guy should get you two acquainted.

DMW CTAF is 122.7, 2W2 CTAF is 122.8. But, you are probably going to use DMW AWOS.
14 is the easier landing uphill, 32 is apparently the trick one, and down hill. There is a road right at the beginning of the RWY. There were people driving through when my instructor and I were there. I saw a video on the internet with some vehicles parked just off the centerline on the otherside of the road before the beginning of the RWY. There is a displaced threshold, so shouldn't be an issue, but I bet more exciting with vehicles there.
I will be back. I want the souvenir mug!

Rather than using AWOS information from 10 miles away, going into a short strip it is typically a good idea to make the runway decision based on a check of the windsock or a call to unicom (says he who has floated down the runway a time or two when he didn't listen to himself).

Mine left FDK a week or so ago about half way through my multi, so I can relate a little bit. Good luck to you! I also missed out on the mug, guess I'll just have to go back. :)

Rather than using AWOS information from 10 miles away, going into a short strip it is typically a good idea to make the runway decision based on a check of the windsock or a call to unicom (says he who has floated down the runway a time or two when he didn't listen to himself).

Thank you for the tip.
The day I went, the FBO was closed. And, no one else was in the pattern. My instructor and myself had the RWY all to ourselves.
EMI(VORTAC) is right nearby. That has HIWAS. I have never tuned in a HIWAS before. I believe it is within 5 miles of Clearview. Question is, will HIWAS have the necessary info?

Negative, HIWAS will not give wind and weather conditions at a particurlar VORTAC. Its really only useful for hearing about sigmets and such

A look around at the sky (no storms approaching) and a good look at the windsock should be all the weather info you need. You know how to read a windsock correct?

Taking it a bit further if you know the general direction and intensity of the winds at pattern altitude and compare them to the wind direction and strength on the surface, you can get an idea of what, if any shear will be encountered on your approach.

Is the windsock that orange thing, that blows around in the wind? Just kidding.
Yes, I can read a windsock.
I will admit, at a new airport, I have trouble spotting the windsock.
I am interested in more details of determining if I am going to encounter wind shear by comparing the winds aloft in the patter to the winds on the ground?
Using a wind sock, or if available ASOS/AWOS?

I am interested in more details of determining if I am going to encounter wind shear by comparing the winds aloft in the patter to the winds on the ground?
Using a wind sock, or if available ASOS/AWOS?

Smoke or steam rising from the ground, wind shadows on water and even flags can provide a reasonably good idea of what the wind is.

HIWAS before. I believe it is within 5 miles of Clearview. Question is, will HIWAS have the necessary info?

HIWAS gives you major weather events within a 150nm radius of the VOR. A line of thunderstorms, an airmet, that kind of stuff.

Can you estimate the wind in knots from the appearance of the windsock ?

Get yourself the respective state airport directory. Here is the entry for Clearview:

http://www.marylandregionalaviation.aero/content/mdpublicuseairports/2w2.html

The triangular flag with the wiskers is a 'lighted wind-sock'.

One thing I have grown a bit leery of are Tetrahedrons and swiveling 'T' type indicators. They have a habit of getting stuck in place. So if a tetrahedron seems odd relative to other things you know about the wind, try to get independent confirmation.

Can you estimate the wind in knots from the appearance of the windsock ?

I retract my previous statement. I am not that good. I know which direction the wind is moving. I can tell when it is calm to moderate winds.

Get yourself the respective state airport directory. Here is the entry for Clearview:

http://www.marylandregionalaviation.aero/content/mdpublicuseairports/2w2.html

The triangular flag with the wiskers is a 'lighted wind-sock'.

One thing I have grown a bit leery of are Tetrahedrons and swiveling 'T' type indicators. They have a habit of getting stuck in place. So if a tetrahedron seems odd relative to other things you know about the wind, try to get independent confirmation.

Thank you for the info.

Back