ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Got this in my email today from the USCG

PUBLIC COMMENT SOUGHT ON FATE OF LONG RANGE NAVIGATION SYSTEM
The land based navigation system may be decommissioned later this year

The Coast Guard Auxiliary wants to inform all mariners that the US Department of Transportation, in coordination with the Department of Homeland Security, is seeking public input on the fate of the Long Range Navigation System, otherwise known as LORAN-C.

The land based navigation system, operated by the US Coast Guard, may be scheduled for decommissioning later this year. At question is whether the system should be decommissioned, maintained "as is," or up-graded to an enhanced LORAN system (eLORAN), which could be used either as a back-up to the GPS (Global Position Satellite) System, or a complimentary system to GPS. .

The public is invited to submit their thoughts and comments, which must be received on or by February 7th of this year. To learn how to submit those comments, visit http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/eLORAN/E6-22421.pdf, or call the U.S. Coast Guard Info line at 1-800-368-5647.

Glad I got GPS

aawwww this isnt good..one of the warriors i rent has loran in it..it works beutifully and is very simple to use...it has a few other neat features as well...i would vote to have it upgraded just in case satellites go out or something freakish happeends

Ant

I never eve used a LORAN. Must've been before my time.

<< ...i would vote to have it upgraded ... >>

Well, then, vote! Or at least get your word in. Follow the link Scott gave us, it has instructions on how to submit your thoughts. It's not difficult.

Regards,
Joe

And remember, they are talking about SCHEDULING the decommissioning this year, not actually shutting it down.

Get your comments in!

I know I could sure go for them shutting down NDB approaches, they're rediculous to learn! Its pretty bad when I can shoot an ILS with no problem but get lost trying to track and old NDB. Okay okay, so maybe its me.

I read something a few weeks ago about England investigating updating their LORAN system to a digitally based system. It would be similar to GPS and much more accurate than current LORAN. The same article had a line that the US was looking similar options, specifically in the event of GPS failure.

I tried doing a search but can't find the article. :(

I read something a few weeks ago about England investigating updating their LORAN system to a digitally based system. It would be similar to GPS and much more accurate than current LORAN. The same article had a line that the US was looking similar options, specifically in the event of GPS failure.

The USCG has spent millions upgrading the old LORAN chains to e-LORAN (endhanced LORAN) in the last several years. I can't imagine them shutting it down now. Unlike GPS, e-LORAN isn't digital, but it does provide more accuracy and integrity than LORAN-C, and it now includes a digital data channel for various purposes that are still being worked out AFaIK.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/eLORAN/overview.htm

I know I could sure go for them shutting down NDB approaches, they're rediculous to learn! Its pretty bad when I can shoot an ILS with no problem but get lost trying to track and old NDB. Okay okay, so maybe its me.

Naah, it's everyone. ILS's are easy. NDB's require a lot of brain work while you're trying to use that same brain to keep the plane upright. No wonder nobody likes 'em, they're tough.

http://www.fcw.com/article97163-12-19-06-Web

It's not you, doing a good NDB, especially in any kind of xwind, is IMHO the hardest approach to master. You can't just follow needles, you actualy have to think your way thru the approach.

I still do them for fun....:dunno:

It's not you, doing a good NDB, especially in any kind of xwind, is IMHO the hardest approach to master. You can't just follow needles, you actualy have to think your way thru the approach.

I still do them for fun....:dunno:

Naah, it's everyone. ILS's are easy. NDB's require a lot of brain work while you're trying to use that same brain to keep the plane upright. No wonder nobody likes 'em, they're tough.

Somebody help me out, what does LORAN have to do with ILS of NDB approaches??

I dont' know except for the decommissioning of many NDBs and now the proposed LORANs.
I've got a LORAN in my plane with an ancient database which I turn on sometimes just because the lights are pretty.

Last edited:

Since when did a thread ever stay exactly on topic. She was referring to something else that should get decommissioned. Which isn't too far off in the future.

Back