LOP Video

This was a very well done video. Much better than Cats, watch it again and again.

azure - You are missing out with your EDM-700! It can indeed do lean-find for LOP operation. You simply hold the STEP and LF buttons down simultaneously for a couple of seconds and the display will read "LEAN-L" instead of "LEAN-R". Now, it is in lean-find LOP mode. As you know, in LEAN-R mode (ROP mode) it finds the first cylinder to peak, and then you enrichen from there. But in LEAN-L mode, it finds the last cylinder to peak, and then you keep leaning as it shows you how many degrees lean of that cylinder you are.

By the way, my Lycoming IO-360-C1C was factory overhauled in 2007. I got the roller tappets, and the cool thing is that Lycoming now makes a serious effort to balance the injectors, so that GAMIs really aren't needed. My GAMI spread was so low that GAMIs were not necessary. I forget but I want to say the GAMI spread was .2 GPH, but it might have been .5 GPH. It was tight.
Thanks @pburger ! I'll have to try it next time I'm up... btw my engine is even newer than that, since it was installed in 2010. A factory reman. I guess there is never any guarantee that your GAMI spread will be acceptable - either with GAMIs or the factory nozzles. There probably is something subtly wrong with my fuel injection system, but the question is just how much money do I want to throw at it to figure it out? :dunno:

RVs are more tightly cowled than most, so CHTs tend to run hotter. Ambient temps are a little warmer here in SoCal than many other parts of the country, so there's that too.

Not all engines run smoothly LOP, contrary to your belief. Yours does? Then consider yourself lucky.

Like I said - your plane - your rules. I have no dog in the fight. I did my research and came to my own conclusions like you did. The airplanes I fly (5 of them - all SR22s) all run LOP and all run smooth if you do it correctly. We're in Florida so I get the heat. I do. When I bought my plane it had 1700 and I sold it at 2400 - engine still ran great and not one single jug replaced. Luck? maybe. But again I did enough research that I am convinced. Tailwinds in any event to you sir!

Like I said - your plane - your rules. I have no dog in the fight. I did my research and came to my own conclusions like you did. The airplanes I fly (5 of them - all SR22s) all run LOP and all run smooth if you do it correctly. We're in Florida so I get the heat. I do. When I bought my plane it had 1700 and I sold it at 2400 - engine still ran great and not one single jug replaced. Luck? maybe. But again I did enough research that I am convinced. Tailwinds in any event to you sir!

My point is that you can't make a blanket statement about all piston aircraft engines, with other variables that are introduced with different airframes. SR22s have Continental IO-550 power; mine's a Lycoming IO-320.

Back