Loose Spinner Screw

Why do people use $5 Harbor Freight screwdrivers on $6500 props?

Spend the coin and get a screwdriver that will never bugger-up a screw again. Few air planes cost less than $85K-$150K these days. The Snappy guy had this set on sale in December.

View attachment 115627

Yes it is expensive, but our planes are worth having a few basic professional tools available.

https://shop.snapon.com/product/SGDX6040BR

Or use a HF $5 ratcheting driver and buy quality bits for it. The driver handle isn't what buggers up screws. Put the money where it matters.

s-l640.jpg

Is it actually loose, or is it cross threaded?

I would have a hard time believing anyone not just being a douche would care one whit if you tightened that screw.
Good answer, but they are out there,lol.

One of those screws was loose after my plane was painted. I found out when I was checking the blades in preflight. The spinner screw came out during flight and hit about 3/4 way up the back side of the blade. It left a screw thread impression in the aluminum blade and a slight bump on the front of the blade. Loose spinner screws are serious stuff. They bought me a new blade.

Expensive tools don't help if the operator of that tool doesn't have the knowledge or common sense to use it.

Attachments

• SteveBuscemi.jpg
    SteveBuscemi.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 7
Back