Looks normal to you?

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Summary of G1000 Checkout/Transition Training
For Private or Higher-Certificated Pilots

Minimum Private Pilot Certificate required for transition training. Aircraft may be used for primary Private Pilot training if so desired. All Training times listed are transition minimums and full flight privileges are ultimately proficiency based. Training does not include complex and/or high performance signoffs, although this training may be applied to those signoffs. Additional training may be required. Credit may be given for G1000 training acquired elsewhere on a case-by-case basis.

4 HOURS GROUND (VFR and IFR) (Mandatory before flight training)

2 hour video tape with instructor guidance (no charge)
1 hour simulator time (instructor rate: $45/hr)
1 hour Aircraft APU time w/instructor ($79/hr)

VFR: 4 HOURS DUAL AIR ($205/hr block; $210/hr regular)

Introduction/Familiarization 1.0 hr
VFR Scenario 2.0 hr
Emergency Procedures 1.0 hr

IFR: 6 HOURS DUAL AIR ($205/hr block; $210/hr regular)

Introduction/Familiarization 1.0 hr
VFR Scenario 2.0 hr
IFR Scenario 2.0 hr
Emergency Procedures 1.0 hr

There will also be an additional $10 photocopy/materials fee.

Satisfactory completion of the transition training will confer immediate flight privileges to the pilot who will also then be awarded directly from Cessna, a Certificate of Completion of the FITS Approved TAA (Technically Advanced Aircraft) Transition Training (certificate will arrive in 2 to 4 weeks).

That sounds about right. Well, the rental rate is a lot, but the hourly requirements are reasonable PROVIDED the IFR segment includes the VFR segment, rather than requiring both.

the rental rate seems high. The $10 "photocopy" fee is bogus (they running a bank??)... I call 'em 'stupid' fees.

The hours look about right, though.

For the most part, I agree. That looks about right to get you up to par on the G-1000. It won't make you proficient but you'll have a reasonable understanding of the system and could use it under IFR. I wouldn't recommend actual until you've done a couple hours at least under the hood.

I'm assuming the rates showing ($210/hr) are for both aircraft and CFI. At least I hope so unless they are doing this in a 206 in which case that would be a bargain but wouldn't make sense, either.

I agree the photocopy charge seems bogus. Also, the additional charge for the plane being on an APU seems overkill. The Hobbs isn't turning and there's no undue stress on any aircraft system. It would be more fair just to charge only for the CFI time.

With that being said, what exactly is the simulator being used? Most schools charge for sim time so it makes no sense to be charging for only CFI time if it's a PCATD with the G-1000.

the rental rate seems high. The $10 "photocopy" fee is bogus (they running a bank??)... I call 'em 'stupid' fees.

The hours look about right, though.

I'm having a hard time with a $79/hr charge for "APU" time. I suppose this is to offset a potential rental at the same time, but in that case they ought to reduce the charge down to the CFI rate if the student does the ground time when the aircraft wouldn't otherwise be flying. "APU" time costs the FBO nothing (well maybe $.04 for electricity).

Wow! Sounds like the glass cockpit with G1000 is poorly designed in the human factors area that it would take 8 hours just to be able to fly VFR with it.

I'm having a hard time with a $79/hr charge for "APU" time. I suppose this is to offset a potential rental at the same time, but in that case they ought to reduce the charge down to the CFI rate if the student does the ground time when the aircraft wouldn't otherwise be flying. "APU" time costs the FBO nothing (well maybe $.04 for electricity).

I missed that.

But I could see some kind of charge for use of the aircraft to offset the opportunity cost (rental) and any wear and tear. I'm surprised that it's substantially more than the sim, though.

Having at least some charge for the APU usage doesn't seem unreasonable. They have potential lost revenue from the plane, the time of a lineman to set it up, and the cost of the APU itself. Looks like they're charging $34/hour to cover that; the rest of the charge is instructor time. Our Frasca 141 runs more than that an hour.

Bought an APU lately? Those suckers are expensive. I think our minimum charge for it was $30 several years ago when fuel was cheap.

That said, the rates are very high unless the CFI is included. $160/hr is reasonable for a G1000 182.

Hours? Well, I did some G1000 sim time at OSH, about 1.2 in a DA40, and had a bunch of steam-gauge 182 time, and I was able to rent one (VFR) with a 1.1-hour checkout. Knowing the 430/530 makes a big difference as you pretty much just have to wrap your mind around the new instrument presentations and you can skip over all the stuff about entering flight plans and such.

I think our minimum charge for it was $30 several years ago when fuel was cheap.
A lot of FBOs charge for them, especially if you don't buy fuel, and sometimes even if you do.

I'm trying unsuccessfully to sit on my hands here and not pick nits, but the thing all of you are talking about is actually called a GPU (ground power unit). An APU (auxiliary power unit) is that nasty, noisy piece of equipment found on some jets which provides electrical power and bleed air for heating or cooling when the engines aren't running. On some airplanes they are also used to start the engines.

I thought that, in this case, "APU" was basically a battery cart. couple of big batteries plugged into the airplane?

Please note that this is a FITS-accepted program, which may explain the need for a full 10 hours of flight training -- FITS criteria are rather stringent, but confer a great deal of credibility.

Also, I see nothing extreme about $79/hour for training in the aircraft with the APU running. The instructor is, as noted above, a $45/hour commodity, and the other $34/hour covers the APU cost and the value of the time the airplane is tied up when it could be generating $160-165/hr revenue ($205/210 per hour block/regular).

Finally, the $10 for materials also seems reasonable. Someone has to run the copier, and it costs for toner, etc -- maybe 5 cent/page. A G1000 training manual could easily cost that much in labor and materials for the FBO to produce and sell.

Okay, I was missing something. You folks are talking about an actual APU; an independent gas-powered generator. I was picturing simply a Red Barron or the like plugged in to external power.

It would seem the latter would be the better idea unless the plane is located out on the tarmac far from a power outlet; in which case, I hope it also has a blower to keep the cabin cool in in the warm months.

Back