Looks like I'm grounded for a while

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I broke down and went to the doctor today because my back pain reappeared just after Gastons. I had been playing through the pain, figuring it would go away. When it stopped going away, and in fact, got worse every day, I decided it was time.

Doctor took x-rays of my back and they all looked good. Spacing of vertebrae looks ok. There is a curve to the spine, but the doc says its probably because of muscle spasms.

Upon describing the "pop" that I felt when I first injured it, she felt around and said that I probably have some minor tears of the perispinal muscles, and that they'd heal if given time without stressing them.

Now the bad part. I have to do physical therapy and I've been prescribed Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) as well as ibuprofin. FAA says no to Flexeril. I have to ground myself I guess until I'm done with the treatment.

Am I actually supposed to surrender my Medical while I'm on the drug, or am I just supposed to not fly? Or worse - does this mean I'm done for good?

I guess the good news is that there are no ruptured discs or compressed vertebrae, so no surgery. The doctor did say, however, that if the therapy doesn't work, she wants me back in for an MRI to see if there is any other damage.

NickDBrennan said:
Now the bad part. I have to do physical therapy and I've been prescribed Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) as well as ibuprofin. FAA says no to Flexeril. I have to ground myself I guess until I'm done with the treatment.

Nick. You don't have to take the medicine. I beat my back pain with physical therapy and ongoing exercise. NO DRUGS. Initially I took over the counter stuff, aspirin, etc. until the pain subsided. I have a fragmented disc in my lower back, so its LOTS worse than your seemingly muscle based ailment.

Unregistered said:
Nick. You don't have to take the medicine. I beat my back pain with physical therapy and ongoing exercise. NO DRUGS. Initially I took over the counter stuff, aspirin, etc. until the pain subsided. I have a fragmented disc in my lower back, so its LOTS worse than your seemingly muscle based ailment.

Agreed

Michael

NickDBrennan said:

Am I actually supposed to surrender my Medical while I'm on the drug, or am I just supposed to not fly? Or worse - does this mean I'm done for good?

You are basically self certifying that you are fit to fly between medicals. No you do not have to surrender your medical, but for the time being, you are being medicated with something that is not approved, and are effectively grounded. Once you are off the med, you will self certify that you are medically fit, and are good to go again.

At least that is how I see it. Doc Bruce can chime in, but I seriously doubt that you are done.

Nick, take heart you do not have to surrender your med cert. It is as Greg says. I have kept the copy of my initial med cert and the attached letter signed by Silberman in which he states his reluctance to issue the cert but did so on the condition I comply with 61.53.

I don't know your injury or associated complications but I too will add effective treatment can be had without medications. I've avoided the knife but I have 'enjoyed' my deficient back for 27 years. Avoid chiro--ryhmes with quack. A strict PT treatment is a good start but it really is up to you to how successful any treatment will be because your adherence or lack thereof determines the results. Tighten up those abs and shoulders squared and back, if able. A sports therapist should have a list of stretching and conditioning exercises you can do.

If you think it's bad now, wait another 20 years.:)

My chiropractor just shocked me for 15 min, 3 times a week....... no meds.

The pain went away after 4 weeks or so & has not come back.

I was brought up thinking chiropractor were quacks... Boy was my mother wrong :)

Hum, I'm not too keen on taking any meds... but I'll try anything to be able to keep flying. I would try everything else first before you start taking the meds, not just for the flying but meds have a bad habit of having lots of nasty side effects. The on-line drug list says it's for muscle spasms. Maybe try getting a massage? Mine relaxes and stretches me out.

Just my non-medical two cents.

Missa
-I remember once I was prescribed a drug to reduce swelling when I broke my ankle... one of the side effects was swelling of the wrists and ankles... now tell me how that makes scents. I didn't take it and just did the exercises he gave me. When I next saw my Doc, he commented about how little swelling there was.

HPNFlyGirl said:
Nick...DRUG ARE BAD, Mmm kay. (mr. mackey from south park, talking here.)

so, uh, if you do drugs.....you'll be bad, mmm kay?

One of my favorite episodes. Mr. Mackey gets all hippied out.

Awesome reference, Brooke.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back